Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

149 Good People

About akulamasusu

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

2957 profile views
  1. One may also need to figure out whether one's degree is civil law degree or common law degree. The majority of South Asian country are conferred civil law degree with only a few exception. If one possess law degree, the degree probably not conform and cannot even go through very early stage of NCA accreditation process. There is no 100% guarantee of capability of lawful stay after graduation with any degree unless marriage ,working visa, longer term of employment which can lead to application of immigration.
  2. If you just want to get a LLM, it's better to do a master without thesis. Osgoose professional LLM or UBC (LLMCL). (UBC tuition is cheaper) https://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/graduate-degree-programs/llm-master-of-laws-common-law The Masters of Law Common Law (LLM CL) Program is a year-long, course-based professional program If you look for prospect of job or employment, it's much better to do a JD degree.
  3. You have decent shots to be accepted off wait-list at both Queen and Western, and you should try. you get a good shot at UNB. For UofSask, your gpa is higher , but your lsat is lower, it's no hurt to try.
  4. You can also apply UofS ......I ever saw someone similar to your stats got accepted. You can also try Ryerson and UNB.
  5. Bonjour To be honest with you, I think Faculté de droit of Mcgill Université is better. If one day you would like to work outside of Québec. You don't even need to go through NCA Accreditation like any other pure civil law school or need to meet certain cut-off grade to apply another extended year for completion of JD program. In other words, The natural embed ,combination of civil law and common law program of Mcgill law allow you the options head to other provinces much easily. In other words, you probably have comparatively good tool to work elsewhere rather than Québec alone, and enjoy greater mobility of traveling on the continent of Canada.
  6. I think even though the course of dal may more align to your interests, but I think it's better not to underestimate uvic co-op program. Academia is usually more concentrated on theoretical discussion and or intellectual drill of law. But the real operation, application, usage of law may be something that need to be reinforced and work-on. I guess Uvic may provide you with better integration of law , let alone practice in BC.
  7. Bond administration staff will look forward to seeing you in fall, even you haven't sent in any transcripts. If you have gpa of 2.8-3, 3 is probably like auto acceptance. If you have bond degree on your belly , you study a bunch of Australian law, ,which is not so much relevance to Canadian law. You are likely to experience pain of fulfillment of NCA requirement and struggle to pass BAR by self study. ..Avoid those while you still can. Joining Tru exchange program if you really want to experience of moving across the world. you can go to Germany and France for a semester or a year, or even trip to places like the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg https://www.tru.ca/law/students/international-connections/exchange-programs.html https://www.tru.ca/law/students/international-connections/international-partners.html
  8. if you complete NCA exam. but you don't have to do LLM. LLM is more about functionality . LLM can be a academic pursue. LLM can be used to help you waive the NCA challenge exams requirement in a sense. As for UofT, Global LLM (focus on Canadian law concentration) Curriculum The GPLLM curriculum The program consists of ten courses. Starting in 2018-19, GPLLM students will have increased flexibility to tailor the program to their individual circumstances and professional pursuits. Under the new program rules, students will complete 50% of their courses (5 courses) from the Canadian Law concentration, including one required course, and will have the flexibility to take the rest of their courses from any concentration with program approval. Please see the following pages for course descriptions for the Canadian Law concentration, the Business Law concentration, the Innovation, Law & Technology concentration, and the Law of Leadership concentration. Canadian Law Courses *Please note that not all courses will necessarily be available every year. Foundations of Canadian Law (required) Professional Responsibility Canadian Administrative Law Canadian Constitutional Law Canadian Criminal Law Property Law Tort Law Contract Law Business Organizations Applied Legal Research and Writing (open only to students in this concentration) https://gpllm.law.utoronto.ca/programs/canadian-law-global-context . Maybe UT global or UBC LLM common Law serve better to waive NCA exam requirements. But UT GPLLM $58,830 $2,213.52 $61,043.52 UT Tuition is 61043 for internationl students, half amout for domestic. UBC LLM common law tuition is roughly around 30000 for international students. UBC LLMCL is non thesis one year LLM program. http://www.allard.ubc.ca/master-laws-llm-common-law-program-tuition-fees-scholarships As for Mcgill LLM, its thesis program is more like a traditional research program rather than NCA exam waive program. Its non thesis program also is consisted of 9 credits +15 research credits, more than half amount not for NCA use. https://www.mcgill.ca/law/grad-studies/masters-programs/llm-general-law LLM Thesis and Non-Thesis requirements (based on program revision as of Fall 2018) Master of Laws with Thesis Master of Laws Non-Thesis Credits 45 credits (30 research credits + 15 course credits) 45 credits (15 research credits + 30 course credits) Required courses 9 credits: CMPL 641 - Theoretical Approaches to Law CMPL 610 - Legal Research Methodology LAWG 601 - Communication 1 LAWG 602 - Communication 2 9 credits: CMPL 641 - Theoretical Approaches to Law CMPL 610 - Legal Research Methodology LAWG 601 - Communication 1 LAWG 602 - Communication 2 Research Thesis 30 credits: CMPL 612 - Master's Thesis 1 CMPL 613 - Master's Thesis 2 CMPL 614 - Master's Thesis 3 CMPL 615 - Master's Thesis 4 CMPL 616 - Master's Thesis 5 CMPL 617 - Master's Thesis 6 Research project 15 credits: CMPL 655 - Research Project 1 Complementary credits Elective courses (6 credits) Elective courses (21 credits)
  9. 1. You can apply UofS and, Dal..(I remembered seeing one or two with similar stats got accepted or ]accepted off wait list) Maybe you can also apply a couple of new schools such as ,tru, lakehead , ryerson or etc to increase chance of admittance of law school 2.as for chance of UBC.., you may need to get a few points higher and try to get somewhere close to 169. http://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/UBC/Predict You can do both option 1 and option 2 at the same time cheers.
  10. MA you want to do now , may not be what you want to do 10 year later. For example, 10 year later, you may want to pursue something completely different. Your interest of subject will shift and vary according to time and age and things you exposure and experience in moment of life. Don't do MA for sake of MA or a degree. only do it if it has practical function or you really really like it.
  11. You say only top third of class got in UC Irvine got in Big law Even you really got the job at big law in US, application to H1B , a work permit, is 50-60% for Master degree. 30%-35% for bachelor Degree. It take compute-red generated draw..and some sort of luck....If you are out of luck, you may have to leave....I don't know what a degree of USA JD equivalent to Bachelor degree or master degree because that may also shape your chance greatly.. your chance of staying in US might vary from 0.33 * 0.6 = 0.2 roughly to 0.33 * 0.35=0.1 roughly It really depend on whether you are risk-prone and risk averse members In addition to that, even if you are risk prone, choose to come back Canada a couple of year later, you may still have to go through 4-5 NCA challenging exams. and Your network is just a bit far and remote. I don't know if it may grant you long stay in foreign place...or just not much room for negotiation. just choose carefully. cheers.
  12. I think SuperBig is correct !!!! My best friend's mom got her Permanent card confiscated and removed by custom in airport because of super short stay each year, a few day only each year. She had no intention of long staying , so the card was confiscated and removed. I don't know if your US JD tour is considered reasonable or legitimate grounds . you may know how to choose, Just in Case SHIT HAPPENS
  13. I think both options are not really great options. I have to apologize that I don't mean to discourage you and hurt you feeling. But it's just because your degree is non Canadian civil law degree. It may be worth nothing but a bachelor degree in the standard or view of NCA. I think as for Option 1, it's that you have to have your degree reorganized by NCA first (please notes that . It is likely to worth nothing but a bachelor degree in the standard of NCA, it is likely to put your application aside in first place. But you can still apply , worst comes to worst, it just sacrifice 450 assessment fee.. But you never Know you may get lucky...I saw Dubai Guy from civil law country , probably got successfully assigned a couple of exams and I don't know why.....Maybe his degree could be non civil law or he has common law practice or he just got lucky......It just a couple hundred of dollar of assessment fee, whether it's worthwhile to try is very personal. .) , I would not say never, you may get lucky. If you are really lucky , you will be assigned how many challenging exams you have to go through. You may have to select specific LLM (UT Osgoose , or UBC LLM) to waive down those requirements, ,favorably such as UBC LLMCL , LLM( LLM Common Law ) which conform and fulfill requirement assigned by NCA. Once you complete those courses requirement, And you may then go to write the bar Option 2, My limited understanding is that , USA lawyer still need to write NCA exams, if they want to practice in Canada. Sometimes, they are being assigned 4-5 NCA challenging exams. But they have a common law degree outside of Canada. If a USA lawyer practice a couples of year and they may be able to appeal the omit the portion of articling time. But they still have to write NCA challenging exams if they want to practice in Canada. you mention passing US bar, which state bar? USA allow to foreigner to write bar only a couple of states. There are New York and California and a couple of others. If you want to write bar of New York, 75% -80% of passage rate, you may need to find a LLM that cover some kinds of equivalence of USA bar required foundation courses in order to write the bar, which even imply you cannot just randomly selected any courses in program of LLM or even just any random program of LLM. You have to find specific LLM which offer or required listing courses. California bar passage rate is 40% - 50%. Between these two states, I understand some foreign educated lawyer or law students may choose New York over California because of higher passage rate and its vibrant macro economics. Most of USA lawyers, intend to practice in Canada, they in general have a common law degree beforehand. Their pre-condition maybe slightly different from OP case. If you choose this options , you have to jump through hoops twice. You not only to jump through hoop of Canada but also that of USA. You have to jump one after another. Please don't jump through hoops twice https://www.thebalancecareers.com/practice-law-in-the-us-with-a-foreign-law-degree-4019033 I don't want t to discuses its employment aspect and job outcome..since you may have found yourself in many thread , which have elaborate discussion about its prospect of employment already. cheers.
  14. You can ask your institution, if degree brought into completion with time constrained? If it doesn't any have any time limit, or time constrained, why would someone need to finish up the bachelor so soon. You can confirm acceptance of law school and then you can always come back to finish it later or a couple of years later or a decade later as fresh air to recharge from working sites. Maybe you can take much less courses while you are in work, and you just take less amount of credits , such as part time, and slowly finish it up.
  15. " 3. Policy for Applicants from Non-Common Law Jurisdictions Applicants educated in jurisdictions that do not have a substantial common law component are considered on a case-by-case basis. Professional experience as a licensed lawyer in a common law jurisdiction subsequent to the applicant's formal legal education may be relevant in these cases. Applicants who do not have a common law degree and who have not practised law as a licensed lawyer in a common law jurisdiction are, in the absence of other relevant common law education or professional legal experience, unlikely to be recommended for any advanced standing or given any recognition for their degree. " https://flsc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/NCA-Policies-Jan-2018.pdf
  • Create New...