1. Forums

1. 271

Discussions about the forums or the Discord server.

1. General

General discussion about law schools or your applications.

U of T vs. Osgoode, Queens vs. Western, so on and so forth: Get advice about which school is better to go to over another.

Questions, study tips, and general discussion about the LSAT.

Questions about lines of credit, loans, and paying for law school.

For applicants or law students looking to offer books / prep materials for purchase or sale.

1. 910

1. 2.5k

OCIs, summer jobs, applying for articling.

1. Ask a Lawyer

Not a lawyer but have a question about what it's like to be one?

4. 235

1. 6.2k
  • Who's Online   54 Members, 0 Anonymous, 83 Guests (See full list)

• GoatDuck
    • TomCarnivalCruise
    • uhohidk123
    • CleanHands
    • LE028
    • scooter
    • Lawladyy
    • HopefulStudy
    • Lawstudents20202020
    • Tuesdaysgone
    • molop
    • Flash16
    • HWGA3
    • BlockedQuebecois
    • merryxmas2023
    • flowering
    • MyWifesBoyfriend
    • futurelawyerrr
    • grainbin74
    • lawlawlaw123
    • LMP
    • cola
    • SpaceTigerX
    • ZineZ
    • asprininglawyer
    • WiseGhost
    • Big Pecker
    • Talleyrandophile
    • foddrina
    • AnxiouslyApplying
    • flertalgerdal1
    • jdb96
    • leftphalange
    • Kibitzer
    • LawSchoolEra
    • Misfit
    • Rashabon
    • PotentialLawyer
    • FutureLStudent
    • mimi123
    • Pleagol
    • TheWingerGuarantee
    • perryplatypus
    • QueensDenning
    • chaboywb
    • Anonymous Lawyer
    • Azal
    • Mountebank
    • futurreeeelawyerrr
    • Scrantonicity2
    • englishmajor
    • Lawlove12345
    • ArchivesandMuseums
    • Hgh1212

• Recent Posts

• flertalgerdal1
      Finishing up 1L now, and I would say to never compare yourself to others. Don't make a big deal about small things as so many things are sort of out of your control. Just go to class (I cannot stress that enough). People skip classes and rely on summaries and notes of others, but I have really only learned the most by being present in class to, at least, hear the information for myself. I am a mature student, so my outlook may be a bit different from others, but treat this like a graduate school experience. Going to a bar does nothing for your academics or your career; make contacts in a professional way. I never went to a bar with any of my classmates, and I have made contacts with current Crown prosecutors, leaders in non-profit organizations, two strong mentorships with current practicing lawyers, and a law clinic where I get practical experience in my area of interest. Take time to not be in school mode, but that can be whatever you find interesting or worthwhile. If you make room for something, you can include it within your day as a first-year law student. 
    • SpaceTigerX
      The cGPA you have is  still pretty strong. Also, looking at their website they look at all aspects of your application. So strong personal statement, references and autobiographical sketch can offset the cGPA.  Looking at the accepted threads on this forum (which is a small sample of the overall class) there is some people with a much lower or around your cGPA that got in with LSAT scores of 164 to 174.    So, I think if you aim for something in that range you will have a really good shot. But remember cGPA/LSAT are only a part of the assessment, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself to get like a 180 lol. 
    • WiseGhost
      My number one piece of advice would be not to be afraid to ask for things -- be that career advice, notes, or a job. Most senior students and lawyers will be happy to help because they remember when they were in your shoes.  I would also recommend trying to hone your writing skills. Even the best writers can improve, and I firmly believe that writing ability is what separates many of the top students from the rest of the class. Knowledge is important, but the best exam responses not only identify the issues, but also explain them clearly. I've improved my writing through practice and reading books on the topic. In particular, I've found Ross Garner's book Point Made helpful.  Finally, it's important not to burn out. Law school is difficult, but it's frankly a cakewalk compared to most demanding jobs. There is enough time in the week to socialize and work out. I started treating law school as more of a 9 to 5 job this year, and it's really helped me. 
    • Dinsdale
      This is one of the toughest moments to get a job in law, for sure.  There are always many students in the market at this stage because every year lots of firms don't hire back 100% of their complement.  Relying on postings is very likely to be unsuccessful, as you say.  This is not unique advice, but you have to hustle and network.  Uncover "unposted" openings before others do.  Utilize all resources at your disposal, including your student director (if you're at a big firm) or your mentor / articling principal if you're not.  Get them to set up coffee chats for you.  Ask everyone you meet if they have one person they could arrange for you to meet.  Prepare for these meetings with your "elevator pitch".
    • OrangeApples
      I had a good 1L experience. Met a lot of smart, driven and fun people from different walks of life in a very short time. Learned a lot in my classes, from my classmates and about myself. I'm assuming you want to do well, so I think the best piece of advice I can give is to remember why you are there: to get good grades and secure employment. In my opinion, too many 1Ls at some point forget that they're paying tens of thousands of dollars to attend a professional school for that reason. It's important to build good relationships (please go to a pub night or two or three) but it's not a popularity contest or an extra 3 years to party like you're in undergrad. In my experience, succeeding in law school requires you to cultivate a routine and headspace that will allow you to succeed and stay happy and relaxed while doing it. Socialize, yes, but eat well, sleep well, exercise, take some time for yourself and always get through your allotted readings for the day (or at least catch up quickly). Sometimes this will mean you have to turn down one or two invites to go out, distance yourself from classmates that pose distractions or are negative, and so on. So when faced with an invite to go out for a second night in a row or grab dinner for several more hours after class, remember why you are attending a professional school for tens of thousands of dollars. I also think that you should aim to network with lawyers early. Don't wait until OCI to start talking with people who are practicing at firms and in fields you may be interested in, who have been in your shoes and who will no doubt have experiences and tips to share with you 🙂        
    • GoatDuck
      Have you looked at this?   
    • Dinsdale
      Have to echo the above: stop exploring largely irrelevant tangents and get your LSAT done and applications in.  You will get a very good idea of what it takes to be a lawyer by going to law school (some aspects of it, at least).  If you don't like it, leave after first year.  Entering law school does not commit you to completing three years.
  • Recent Topics

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.