All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I’m interested in applying to U of A this fall and was just wondering if I retake a failed course and both grades land within the L2 how are they treated? Is the fail replaced? Or is it averaged?
  3. Stop tying debt anxiety to job anxiety. You borrowed at prime and it's dischargeable in bankruptcy. It's not like you're in a death camp or something. Don't be anxious about not getting a 1L job. They're few and far between.
  4. Today
  5. There's a boat cruise, a formal-type of event, a Detroit Tigers game, lots of meetups at bars, physical-types of activities like a sports tournament and a visit to a trampoline park from what I remember. It's a great time and there's usually a few events per week/weekend for the entire month of September.
  6. The info on what courses you take was online and always has been.
  7. They should be intertwined, not separate. Also I get the impression you may be over-selling your school because you think that will reflect well on you. I am guessing that because an interviewer felt the need to tell you her school was better. I’m not sure why school quality is even coming up in an interview. OK, I can think of one reason. If your CV and grades are really impressive, some interviewers, believe it or not, get insecure. I did have a few interviewers get defensive about my grades (my perception - perhaps I was wrong) saying stuff in an apparently aggressive manner like “I never got grades that good and I’ve done great” or “What, did you bribe all your professors?” or “You know, it doesn’t kill you to get a B.” If that happened, I saw it as my job to be a bit self-effacing, but not excessively so, and to redirect the conversation subtly to get them to talk about themselves and/or something else I could comment on that was not grade-related.
  8. If it was a serious sickness, that was long term, and OP ends up with much improved (or at least materially improved) grades in 2L, then it can be relevant to bringing up. But it'll take common sense to determine if it was a relevant enough factor in your grades in 1L.
  9. “Reading” interviewers just means gauging how they’re responding to a conversation ie. did they think that story was funny? If so I’ll tell another similar one a bit later if appropriate. If they didn’t, I’ll move on to something else. Am I boring them? Am I being too informal? Am I mirroring their body language? Are they feeling comfortable around me? Are they tired and looking for something to wake them up? Your attention SHOULD be focused on the other person more than yourself, both in an interview and a date, because your success or failure depends on how much they like you or how comfortable they feel around you. Just sharing “what’s going on with you” without paying attention to the effect of that sharing is useless. I agree that CLIENTS shouldn’t try to read judges or juries because they rarely have the skills to do that properly. But that’s because it’s my job to do that for them and I am doing that prospectively in how I prep them and then in real time adjusting how I present the client on the stand/in court. But a lawyer absolutely has to be able to read people. And reading people shouldn’t be an overwhelming, time-consuming thing that is apparent and that distracts from other things. If it is, you’re doing THAT wrong. It’s just a constant awareness in the back of your mind while doing what you do. (And we all do it all the time every day, consciously or not.) OP: given the new information you shared, I wouldn’t assume a top school, a Masters or decent grades will in and of themselves get you a job. If you dropped money on your school expecting that, disabuse yourself of that belief. I’m not sure how you know you’re “not likeable”, but as I said, being likeable is mostly about being genuinely interested in the other person and being interesting yourself. Re: being sick - not sure I would mention that. I’m not a fan of making excuses. Several people will have had problems/issues/less than good circumstances in 1L. You could have deferred exams etc if it was serious enough - no point looking back now.
  10. Google tells me there's 2: here and here
  11. Can someone shed light on the salaries again. How much is the salary in Abbotsford and Chilliwack for first and second year associate.
  12. Hey, I am a 1L student looking to sign a lease in either June or July for a 2 or 3 - bedroom apartment. Ideally, looking for other 1L students to live with. Most likely will be looking for a place in the Betline district for about $600-800/mo per person. Let me know if interested or how I should go about looking for roommates
  13. There's only one law school that that has a subway station named after it. Moreover, Osgoode also dual JD programs. There's at least the JD/MA in philosophy and the JD/MES, (environmental studies)
  14. Okay, first off, there's only one law school in Toronto, and one that likes to pretend it's in Toronto. Not that there's anything wrong with the law school of the Northern GTA hinterlands otherwise, but considering the law school that's actually in Toronto is the one with all the dual masters programs (as far as I'm aware) I'll assume you're at U of T. And seriously, while we caution against breaking anonimity too far, here, there's nothing wrong with identifying yourself by school and year. You're still one of a couple hundred students at least. Although much of what you just wrote may alter some assumptions made earlier, I still think you need to consider much of what I wrote - though alongside all commonsense efforts to improve yourself, also. If an employer interviews 20 strong candidates for several positions (which is not at all unusual) why do you imagine you must be doing something wrong if you're not hired? I mean, sure, if you have things to work on in your own estimation, then work on those things. But don't simply assume that the other 19 candidates aren't just as impressive as you are. So when your feedback is "sorry, strong competition" that's very likely the truth. Absolutely do not stress about how your school is perceived by possible employers or by anyone else. You can't control that. At best a school's reputation is an aggregate of the marketplace. That doesn't mean an individual employer might not have their own ideas. And either way, a school's reputation alone - bad or good - doesn't define you as a candidate. No one is going to give you a job because of where you attend school, or withhold it either. In fact to the degree that it matters, I expect it matters much more at the stage of deciding to interview you, or not. Once you're past that stage it's pretty trivial. I don't have significant interviewing advice to add, beyond trying to realign your perceptions of how this all works. But I will say stop trying to "read" your interviewers at all. I give the same advice to my clients, all the time. This isn't meant to be some highly artificial psychological test. They just want to know what's going on with you. Talk to them. Trying to "read" them is like trying to read a first date. If you're focusing your attention on that, you're doing it wrong. Just do your best to introduce yourself. Hope that helps.
  15. Your first two years will hinder you getting into schools that use cGPA. They won't hinder you getting into schools that use L2. I mean... that's a bit of stating the obvious, but as you said, you know some use different criteria, so it depends on the school. Each one says what they consider, and for you with quite a disparate set of grades, whether they drop worst-classes-wherever, or none-at-all, or use most-recent-two-years-whether-good-or-bad makes a difference. You can look that up and calculate the way each school will interpret your grades, which will probably vary substantially based on their individual formula/attitude.
  16. Hi all, I was wondering what the process to apply for residence at TRU is. Moreover, does anyone suggest any one Res building over another? Or to avoid Res all together? My priorities are to be in a safe environment and to be as close to my classes as possible. Thanks!
  17. Are you doing your JD/masters in 3 years or 4? If 4, you have lots of time to brush up on interview skills and improve your grades (though having multiple interviews in the 1L recruit means you're already doing pretty well) because you'll effectively get an extra kick at the can for summer jobs (if your masters doesn't require a summer of studying). Otherwise the advice here on interview skills are sound. I'll add one last one: focus on the three why's: why you, why that job, why that employer. Don't be tacky about it. Interview naturally still. But point your answers in a way which answers those questions. To do that and still sound genuine, you need to figure out what actually interests you and apply to those jobs.
  18. Worst: The fact that at the end of the day, all most students care about is finding the almighty articling position. There is a huge amount of stress before you land one, and people practically tune out of law school once they've secured it. Best: Entertaining profs who genuinely care and are interested in what they teach.
  19. Hey guys, i am a fourth year student at University of Toronto, St. George and ill be graduating at the June 2019 convocation. Im taking a year off to make some money for tuition and such but i wanted to get an idea of my chances with my numbers/background. I had a rough first two years with some family issues (medical) which took a toll on me. since second year ive had a solid upward trend with my grades not falling below an 80. My CGPA is a 3.01 and L2 is a 3.7, with a few low to mid 90s. I am writing the July LSAT and my PTs are in the 163-167 range right now. I have solid ECs -- tons of volunteer work (a bunch with indigenous services), two internships (finance and law firm), board member at u of t pre-law and editor on the law journal, was the head of a student run philanthropic group. Two solid references (two profs, one at the U of T law school). Wondering if my first two years will hinder me from getting into schools in Canada. Right now im looking at Western, Queens, Osgoode, Dal, UBC, Windsor. I know some look at/emphasize your last two years but i wanted to get a perspective from you guys.
  20. Very much this. Do not think that because you know a bit about logic or that you have experience that you will do well on the LSAT. Everyone (EVERYONE) is able to improve their score through study and practice, so take at least a couple months before you write it and learn the sections and timing and you will do much better.
  21. I think I need to be clearer: I’m not doing the US dual thing. I’m studying at a school in Toronto and getting an additional Masters which turns out to be not that much more expensive than just doing the straight JD due to scholarships. I figured that if finding a legal job does not work out, at least it will help me branch out into the other discipline. I was under the impression that adding a masters to my degree wouldn’t affect my chances at a law job, especially not just a summer one. I really do want a legal job though, even if it isn’t “high paying”. My undergrad grades were pretty good too, in fact they usually comment on them in interviews. The school I go to has “top” students so I’m average amongst pretty brilliant people. My peers are definitely not “below average”. I was also quite sick in 1L although I never share this during interviews or CVs... maybe I should? Usually when I tell other people how sick I was they are understanding and kind of shocked, but since my grades are fairly average I don’t want to really mention it during my interviews since I don’t really know if it affected my performance and I feel like it’s too personal. I have been doing a lot better in recovery though, so perhaps if my grades continue to get better I will mention it. I didn’t want to say which school I was in because of anonymity but I was excited going to this school because all I heard was that it had a reputation for having “top” students but at my last interview, one of the interviewers made a comment about a different school being better (because it was her law school). I didn’t take it to heart but it seriously makes me skeptical about some schools being better than others or that school is factored into consideration for interviews. I think for some interviews it might matter, but for this one it clearly didn’t. I’m not exactly sure how to read the interviewers. I think that’s where I have the most difficulty. I can’t tell what they’re thinking or how an interview is supposed to go. I feel like everything has been standard so far: answer questions about myself, ask questions about them, usually lasts an hour or so. I’d say two or three of the interviews have been fairly conversational but no luck there either. The reason why I think it has something to do with me personally (as oppose to other applicants, etc) is because I’ve never been the most likeable person. Usually I’m quite easy to forget and I struggle to make connections that are meaningful and long-lasting. I have no way of knowing if I come off as weird or anxious during interviews... I really don’t know. I’ve asked friends and they say I’m fine. I think it I had no interviews, I wouldn’t be concerned because I’d assume it’s really competitive etc. But I have been getting interviews from a lot of the places I send in applications to, and then after the interview it’s radio silence. I’m worried it has more to do with how I present myself in interviews and the interviewers perception of me as oppose to what school I go to, what degrees I’m doing, etc.
  22. @Tigerlilly ces liens pourraient servir d’exemples pour la 1ère partie http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/special/questionnaires/2015/culture-generale/index.html http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/special/questionnaires/2016/q2/culture-connaissances-generales/index.html
  23. Famous last words... Speaking from experience, I'd recommend ditching this mindset: not only will it hold you back from trying your absolute best, it'll just add to your frustration and anguish if your expectations don't line up with reality. When it comes to LSAT prep, start as a blank slate, assume nothing, be ready to put in the work, and give yourself as much time as you need to prepare.
  24. @wambyboy ces questions là sont celles de l’entrevue! @Tigerlilly pour ce qui est du test de culture générale et scolaptitudes, il s’agit d’un test à 2 parties. La 1ère partie: culture générale - 60 questions, 40 minutes - choix multiples (style questions trivia). La 2e partie: c’est des questions de logique - 80 questions, 60 minutes - choix multiples.
  25. I went to Queen's and now practice family law. I am not familiar with Ottawa so I can only comment about Queen's. At the time that I was there the family law courses were few and far between. There was the introduction course and those years, advanced family law was not offered. Although you could augment your field of interest by studying children's law (mainly Youth Family Justice and protection) or other peripheral areas of study to family law. The family law clinic is restricted to a handful of participants and therefore, can be hard to get into. Some of the placements were of little value because the agency or organization had little interest in mentoring the students and restricted their students attendance at appearances and conferences because of privacy concerns, etc. There were only a small number of plum placements (judges and practitioners). Of course my comments are dated so I would agree with the suggestions above that you do more research about the course offerings. In other words, I wouldn't discount Ottawa on the perception that Queen's offers a more fulsome family law program. Much of what you learn about practicing law comes after your graduation from law school in any event. At the time I was at Queen's the focus of the school was on developing further its corporate/commercial/business profile and maximizing summering and articling positions through the OCIs. That could change now though with the appointment of a new dean.
  26. I will note one advantage of the Dual program is that you get access to a number of possible 1L jobs in the states that aren't available to purely Canadian students. OP should be looking into those opportunities.
  27. Yeah I think it bears reiterating that finding a 1L summer job is very difficult even if you have many grades above the curve. There are only a handful of positions and they’re mostly taken by those with many As. Get good grades and do what you can to prepare for OCIs. And as others have said above, you’re at a disadvantage by being in the dual program (I assume you mean Windsor’s but the same likely goes for others), so you’ll need to work harder to overcome the negatives. Being at the curve won’t be doing you any favours generally, let alone out of a dual program.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?