All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. If you practice immigration, definitely recommend.
  4. I haven't been rejected from uOttawa yet but I have a feeling my PS may have screwed me again. Coming from a graduate program, where you apply based on what kind of research you want to study with a faculty member, I was habituated to a certain kind of writing and it spilled over into my law school PS. I always assumed law school shared many qualities as grad school, I overlooked the dissimilarities. I'm also frustrated because I feel like, going the alternative route and crafting a personal statement that focuses on a more stripped down, personal kind of writing, that I have to sound like I'm telling a story. When it comes time to include why I want to study law in that story, I become lost. I have an offer to Windsor that I'm unsure I want to take because of psychological reasons, but all the stress I've gone through with applying twice, raising my LSAT to a 164 in the process, and either getting rejected or being held in the dark from the schools I wanted, makes me wonder if its just easier to take Windsor instead of applying one more year, trying to perfect my PS. You want to put yourself in an environment that sets you up for success and I'm not sure moving so far away does that for me considering my mental health. But at the same time, my mental health has taken a complete nosedive with all of the stress experienced from applying. So I don't know whether accepting the offer or enduring another year of this is worth it. Yeah I understand I may not get another offer but there's also no guarantee I won't suffer acutely from my health condition while I'm there and be forced to come back. I also feel it's necessary to try and find out why my PS this time around is not as good as it could be. I've sent it out to other applicants who say it's well written but it's not personal enough and that it doesn't tell enough about me. I do to an extent but not enough. Maybe it makes sense to prepare a backup application, starting with my PS, to apply next year in case Windsor doesn't work out. Would a PS that isn't stellar, but passable, hold someone back from getting an acceptance? I haven't been accepted to uOttawa yet and I assume it's something to do with my PS. I have to say: The application process has been one of the most stressful times of my life. I feel like I'm surrounded on all sides. Haunted by each choice I have to make. Feels like a life or death ultimatum. Makes me filled with deep regret that I overlooked the importance of my PS. I poured all of my mental and emotional energy last year trying to improve my LSAT right around the time applications were due. Wish I could have done it differently.
  5. I’m going to weigh in as a 0L that was accepted through a ‘special’ category this cycle. This is obviously just my opinion, so take it for what you will, and perhaps these are already things you’ve thought of- but perhaps not. First, definitely take that part out (bolded). They don’t allow many words in the personal statement and that’s valuable space you should be using for another purpose. Second, when you rewrite your statement, bear in mind that every single person in the access, discretionary, special consideration etc etc categories has a story, and I think it’s fair to infer that’s not really what the adcom is looking for. If I were in your position, I would allow 3-4 sentences, total, for your story. And, for every piece of your story that you share, connect it explicitly or implicitly with the kind of person you are, the specific qualities you have, and why that makes you the kind of person they want to admit. My statement made no mention of my academic aspirations and it was only loosely tailored to the school I applied to. What it did do was lay completely bare who I am, what I have accomplished since undergrad, and what qualities I felt I had demonstrated. While hardship was a necessary element to discuss by nature of the category, I shared only what was crucial to confirm my eligibility for the category and used those same statements to strengthen the picture of myself as an applicant. Lastly, I agree with others who have emphasized re-writing the LSAT and I’m glad to hear that’s your plan as it sounds like you know you will need a higher score to have a shot at UBC or UVIC. I genuinely wish you luck and hope this was at least somewhat helpful.
  6. Do we have anyone accepted off the waitlist?
  7. Yeah, we do have reasons to worry the exact number of seats provided by Oxford. However, I wouldn't think Oxford's estimates in total seat numbers deviate more than 10% from the actual one -- partially credible evidence is that: you can check Oxford's estimate about seats in Ontario is very close to the number provided by OUAC (OUAC: 1500 ish for last few years; Oxford: 1430 assuming Lakehead 79). So unless actual seat numbers from non-Ontario law schools are far cry from Oxford's estimate (welcome any correction with evidence), I believe the actual acceptance odds this year are likely to exceed 40% by incorporating the above two updates into accounts: 1. missing seat number of UofA. 2. Oxford's estimate of lower number seats provided by Ontario law schools. "Acceptance odds" defines as below: the chance you can be accepted by at least one law school.
  8. did anyone hear back? @User1994 said apparently the offers went out this afternoon around 4:30 --- is that true?
  9. There are top 10% letters? Is it just for the graduating class?
  10. Yes, obviously I understand that the missing row changes the acceptance rate rather than the number of applications. The number of applications piece of the equation seems credible, but the Oxford spreadsheet is too sloppy to trust the other side of the equation (i.e. the number of seats).
  11. No matter what the number of seats provided by UofA are missing from the calculation above, it will change the acceptance odds to be greater than my original estimate (somewhere around 40%). With respect to definition of "application", check the last page of the statistical chart and you can tell the applicants are defined under the context of "academic year", which refers to applicants for law school application instead of for writing LSAT (we all know LSAT itself doesn't involve the concept of academic years although it is used for applications under certain academic year). So I have no doubts in believing the 6745 applicants are accurate number of people applying Canada's law schools for this year as of now subject to following terms (as copied from the LSAT): • These data are displayed by Academic Year, which is the same as the law school enrollment year. For example, academic year 2018 or 2018-2019 would indicate the academic year beginning in the fall of 2018 and extending into spring 2019. • The Current Volume data tables include applicants for all academic terms. Current Volume reports published before 2018 summarized applicants for the fall term only and are not comparable to these new volume reports. • ABA data reflect applicants and applications for ABA-approved law schools. • Deferrals are not included in either the ABA or Canadian data. Deferrals are defined as "applicants admitted for a prior term who were granted a postponed enrollment to the current term." • Please note as defined in this report, an applicant is a candidate who submits one or more applications for any academic term. • The data for this report are updated every evening and will reflect current volumes as of that time. • This report is best viewed in Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, or Safari.
  12. Hopefully the interview works out for you, you deserve it.
  13. Of course I'm getting gowned, but I want to wear a skirt with it instead of trousers and so I wanted to know the protocol as nylons, tights, etc. part isn't published on the law society page for the apparel and I think it may be hot in the June call.
  14. I disagree. If you had spent that $1000 last year to apply to a school that might have accepted you this year, then you wouldn't be paying for another application cycle, LSAT attempt, etc. Also, suppose this year you didn't apply to Queen's and UofT and ended up doing really well on the LSAT, your loss. So you're buying both the opportunity and safety net by spending more at the outset. $1000 also seems pretty high, I think I paid half that for 5 schools. Logic Games is the best section to be the worst at because it's very formulaic and predictable. There's really only 3 different game designs to know. That might be it. In fact, my first unsuccessful personal statement made this same mistake as I took a law-related major. It's fine to mention your career goals and why, but I expect you went overboard like I did. Do better on the LSAT. You're right there and the margins are that thin. 1 point can and does make the difference
  15. Yes, get over here as fast as you can. Our learned Conservative ministers decreed that too much money was going to lawyers and not enough "to the people." You know--because when you fund someone's defence, you're hoping to put cash directly in the pocket of the accused person. It seems silly to give that money to their lawyer. That cash is for the people! Our government worked so hard figgerin' that out that now they're taking a 5-month holiday. And our AG--one of the most talented and decorated trial lawyers in Canada--says that every dollar we save on funding someone's defence is a dollar we can spend on things that matter most. So we have a great system here where Crowns just back from their vacation home in Athens or their cottage in Georgian Bay are merrily prosecuting homeless kids for failing to report a change of address from one shelter to the other. But--on the bright side--the money's now going to the people!
  16. I was listening to a powerscore podcast discuss this issue and I think they made some really good points as to why they would bring back the limitations on the amount of times you can take the LSAT. The first is that starting in 2020, the LSAC will be administering the LSAC 10 times a year. This is almost double the amount of tests they used to offer per year which was around four or so but has steadily been increasing over years. Nonetheless, to go from 6 to 7 LSATs a year to 10 a year is a significant jump. That is an INSANE amount of times that you will be able to take this test and it also puts immense pressure on the LSAC to create tests. I find it very unlikely that they can create a new test every month without increasing staff and other expenses which may decrease the amount of money they make by making the exam more accessible. So how do you address this issue? Well one strategy would be to have tests that you can repeat ever so often to allow you more time and therefore less resources to spend on creating the tests. However, the issue with repeating tests is that it gives an unfair advantage to test takers who decide to retake almost every chance they get because they have already seen the test and know the hard and easy parts and have a way higher chance of getting a better score. So, in order to stop this issue you can put a restriction on how many times individuals can take the test to stop the probability of an individual getting an unfair advantage from taking the same LSAT test twice.
  17. Yeah but U of A doesn't have the coursework or faculty. My bad I should have made that more clear. Yeah I may switch that part out, I think I was just still in that masters mindset of outlining the project. I appreciate the info though thank you!
  18. If that's what you meant, then the UofA does have it. So does basically every school. No, you didn't mix the words. Independent study is just as good as directed research. I was only confused because you mentioned Ottawa's specializations, said UofA didn't have it, etc. I still wouldn't focus my personal statement on a tangential sort of thing. As I said, only a couple of students do directed research each year.
  19. Just to add, it's why I listed you the schools and their respective clinics to show the connection, I wasn't just saying I was going to randomly teach myself my own topic at a university with no relationship to that topic.
  20. Yes I did make parts of my personal statement about the benefit of directed research under a faculty member with relation to the topic and that the university offered course work on it.
  21. Ok, directed research is what I meant. My apologies. However, I always made sure they had a faculty member and courses based on the topic. I mean I mentioned I did the MA I know how this stuff works I just mixed up two words. That's why I gave the example of indigenous law and data issues.
  22. I went on the waitlist March 29th so it was definitely a long wait and I honestly can't believe that I even got in. I heard the waitlist this year is quite large. GOOD LUCK!!
  23. I have no idea what you are talking about. The list of topics doesn't help. Independent research is also called directed research and means something completely different then what you are talking about. It means that you get course credit to independently study something and you write a paper, which is supervised by a faculty member. I would still score a personal statement very, very low if the student focused on a niche area of law that no faculty did and there were no courses in the area. Ottawa does have specializations but they have tons of courses in those areas so there is nothing "independent" about it.
  24. Like not core aspect of the program, just second and third year, like how Ottawa U has it's specializations etc. I wouldn't apply to a law school with "here let me do my own education" I would have done the Phd
  25. No it wasn't teach myself at all, it was allow you study an independent law subject. TRU lists that as one aspect of their program, like let's social media censorship and indigenous issues or something like that. Also, U of A doesn't have that option, Queens does with their clinic, Windsor does, I mean the ones I selected all did and I can link you the pages. I don't think we're on the same page from what I said. This would be elective stuff.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?