All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi Hegdis, Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, I haven't been approached by any companies with such a proposition. I'm exploring methods towards a prosecution career in Canada that would be most effective time and money wise, while also maintaining a reputable resume. At the time being, it seems like the safest option is to stay in Canada for myself, although I'd have to look for the most cost efficient options.
  3. The answer is very helpful - Thanks a lot! I know you got into Windsor last year and successfully transferred to Osgoode this year. Congratulations!
  4. My only other comment, which you can take or leave as you like, is that there is a very lucrative business built around convincing high school students that getting a law degree abroad is a great idea. If you find you are getting an aggressive and sparkling sales pitch from some company that “facilitates” or “places” students or whatever, be aware that you are likely dealing with a shill. Go wary. The pamphlets and anecdotes are all very alluring and impressive: just consider the source. Some one is likely trying to profit off of you by convincing you to pay them for a service or “opportunity” that is not going to turn out well for you in the long run. Canadian employers want people educated and trained in Canadian law. If you don’t meet that basic requirement it’s almost always a lot harder for you to find work once your bills are due.
  5. Hey, Thanks for the reply once again. I am indeed in high school, and I don't have an undergraduate degree. I'm in a sort of position to be admitted for an undergraduate degree in most places, but I'm attempting to find a way to spend as little as possible on university, as I don't want to find myself in a predicament where I've spent 200k or so for 7 years of schooling, only to find a job that doesn't pay well, because of over saturation and whatnot. I'll look into this matter further, but the way I see it as of now, it might be best to look at studying domestically. Once again, thanks for your input.
  6. I have worked in Canadian criminal law for well over a decade. You are not going to learn this area of law in the UK. The Charter and the last hundred years of jurisprudence have caused our justice systems to diverge somewhat. Also the rules of evidence differ. Also court customs and decorum. And there’s the Criminal Code. And the CDSA. Do not go to law school abroad if you want to be a prosecutor. Your first duty to the public is to be competent: without a Canadian legal education you make this a much higher hurdle than it needs to be. Consider getting a Canadian LLB (or are they all JD now? Either way - same degree in terms of substance) and then going abroad for a Masters afterwards.
  7. Today
  8. Where would these openings be posted? My queries may sound very basic but the fact is that I am an Internationally Trained Lawyer. I believed that all articling positions are posted on the recruit portal as per the LSO Regulations.
  9. You're misstating it some with the view that "many UK law schools accept applicants directly out of high school". In the British education system, Law is an LLB, which is a first entry undergraduate degree. The vast majority of universities offer it (and their departments are no more separate 'schools' than are the History or Geography departments). Any Brit who finishes secondary school with at least a couple of Cs at A level can get an LLB (or at least, can begin to study for one). I'm not clear if you have a Bachelor's degree already? Because you say you wouldn't need one, and then say it wouldn't save you time, but not needing to get one would save you money. If you're in high school, it would save you a lot of time - your undergraduate degree - this would be one of the downsides to seeking work in Canada, as you'd then be one of the youngest, least qualified applicants for jobs (as your co-applicants would be older, more mature, have more life experience, and have two degrees to your one). If you have your undergrad then it wouldn't save you time (would likely be slightly slower after taking the NCAs/LLMCL).
  10. Hey lookingaround and easttowest, Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at options, and am still unsure, so if staying in Canada seems like the best option in terms of credibility and converting a foreign degree, then chances are I don't go abroad. I was also a bit curious about other things regarding such a decision; from what it seems, as many UK law schools accept applicants directly out of high school (I'm guessing its the difference in the way we study), I would not need an undergraduate degree. Admittedly, it won't save me time, but it appears to save money, in comparison to what I've gathered regarding the process of studying for a 4 year bachelor's degree and then 3 years of law school. Would it not cost more to stay in Canada in comparison to studying abroad? Also, I was wondering how much the reputation of a university plays into finding a position. I have been under the assumption that there do exist a select few schools whose reputation would supersede that of many Canadian law schools. For example, if I were to be accepted to Oxford or Cambridge, and took the time to meet bar requirements in Canada, would I still be looked down upon compared to other domestic candidates? I would guess it's because of the undergraduate degree when applying, but I'm not exactly certain.
  11. “International Law” isn’t really a thing. Don’t go abroad if you haven’t exhausted your options here.
  12. There are plenty of threads in this subforum on the topic. To sum them all up: if you want to practice in Canada, try to study in Canada. Wherever you study will at least raise the question of if you were unable to gain access to a Canadian school. Studying in Britain is not "a gateway to International and European law". It will teach you English law in England or Scots law in Scotland, neither of which apply in Canada (although English law is more applicable). Until, at this point, October 31st, European law transposed into national law will be a part of that. If you then seek to return, you will either need to write the NCA challenge exams, or take a foreign degree to JD conversion LLM (I know this is currently offered at UBC, http://www.allard.ubc.ca/master-laws-llm-common-law-program, and I seem to recall hearing that at least one of the Ontario schools does or did at some point). Your obstacles would include persuading potential employees that you were competent and hadn't simply bypassed a system you weren't able to get into, as well as funding the degree in the first place. By most accounts, getting an articling position is the hardest part, if you have no local network where you're trying, and need to explain why you don't have Canadian qualifications.
  13. Hi guys, So in undergrad I would always go to the States and visit family over the February reading week, as I never actually really needed to do much reading over the week. I am a little nervous about booking a trip during reading week in law school though... I was looking for some insight as to how busy February is for law students and whether it would or would not be advisable to travel during reading week in 1L.
  14. I took the one through Oxford Seminars back in 2015. It focused very heavily on the Logic Games section, which was my weakest section. I improved my score significantly, so I was very happy with it. It might be different now or might not work for you, but it could be worth looking into.
  15. OMG... Prohibitively expensive given that this law school is so new...
  16. Hello, This is my first time posting to the forum, if that's relevant. I'd like to practice in Canada, working something among the lines of prosecution. I'm considering going abroad to the UK to study for the LLB degree, although I'm only really considering Oxbridge, KCL, LSE, and a couple other schools. I understand that there's not much merit in going to less notable or less reputable schools, as that might be seen as "bypassing" the requirements for a Canadian one (no LSATs, prior degree, etc.). I'd like to study in the UK as I think it might be a gateway to studying International and European law, alongside the fact that if I do get the chance to study at a reputable school, I don't want to pass up on it. I was thinking that the best route for me after possibly studying in the UK might be to completing an LLM in Canada. However, I'm not exactly sure if that's possible. What obstacles do I face attempting this path, and what does NCA accreditation look like after having completed all this?
  17. In my experience, and from anecdotal evidence, I believe "smaller" employers/firms value students' clinical experience more than their experience with a law journal or research assistance work with a prof because they don't really have the resources to train students for what law is really about (outside of academic legal thought). Larger employers see experience with a law journal or RA work with a prof as a sign of intelligence and value that over experience they can more easily and readily train in their students. My advice to you to focus more on relevant clinical experience is tailored to your situation (you've now struck out of the formal articling recruit and only have any chance with a "smaller" firm).
  18. Looking for recommendations, please. Thanks.
  19. Yes, you're right, but it sounds like OP only has college grades and not undergraduate university grades, which would rule them out of several schools.
  20. Some new updates via LSAC, including tuition, which will be $26,300: https://www.lsac.org/choosing-law-school/find-law-school/canadian-law-schools/ryerson-university-faculty
  21. Some schools in Ontario (UofT, Osgoode, Queens, Windsor) and schools outside of Ontario (TRU etc.) do not require a bachelors from a university to apply.
  22. Yesterday
  23. Yes, each question does have a character limit. Windsor only has 2 categories: general and indigenous/Aboriginal. When applying as a mature or access student you should be explaining your circumstances in that optional question.
  24. This just happened to me in firm with a niche practice area (municipal/land development/condominium). I just checked the going rates for the firms in the area using the ZSA chart, and some of the salary spreadsheets on this site to figure out a baseline. But, it might be worth figuring out what your area of law tends to pay in general if the practice area is really niche or in high demand. For example, I ended up getting about 30% more than the going rate because the municipal sector is really hot right now, and I wasn't a superstar candidate.
  25. I wrote it like a short cover letter, i.e., I said I was interested in what you do, here are my grades, here is my experience, and if you are hiring please let me know, I will send you a full application. I wasn't comfortable enough to network over informal coffee meetings and etc., so I never did what other posters might recommend, which is just doing interviews over coffee or something similar. For what it's worth, my formal writing is much better than my verbal communication, so just do what works for you. And yeah, I made it really clear I wanted a job, like everyone else, and did not beat around the bush.
  26. When you were emailing firms like these, did you first start off requesting informational interviews, or were you getting straight to the point and asking whether they intended on hiring an articling student?
  27. I think the best you can do right now is do your best to keep your grades up or improve them, while trying to get experience in the area of law you want to practice in during 3L. For example, I too washed out of OCIs and the articling recruitment, and I wanted to get into municipal and land development law, so some of the things I did in my last year was do part-time clinic work advocating for rooming house reform, worked a part-time job in a corporation that did some municipal work, and volunteered at a food bank. I also took two municipal law courses, the second being a directed research project, and did my best to get A's in those courses. This helped me get my articling position and my first year associate position. As mentioned by other posters, a lot of firms and government departments will continue to advertise rolling positions throughout 3L. If you have a bias against working in smaller practice groups, now is your time to get over it, because size is not everything. You should apply to those positions, while researching different firms you can contact for informational interviews, and frankly ask them to hire you. Apart from this, I think demonstrating a practice area interest is very important because once you do that, firms might be less worried that you are a flight-risk, and that you are just willing to do what it takes to get the job you want. I had the most success just emailing full-service firms (20-40 lawyers) located in medium-sized cities, often because they do not always take regular articling students, and if they do, only one or two. I'm pretty sure I made the exact same type of post you did when I struck out, so what you are going through is normal. If you want PM me and we can talk more; this forum really helped me get my two jobs. Good luck!
  28. More information is needed. You may want to read up on each schools admissions page and/or contact the admission offices to see which of your credits they will actually use to calculate your GPA. Then you can also provide us with additional information like your CGPA, L2 GPA, B2 GPA, GPA with 10 drops, etc. If you actually end up having a 3.9 156 for GPA purposes you'd have a number of schools you have a chance at: Ottawa, Windsor, UNB, UAlberta, UCalgary, TRU, and possible a few others.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?