All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. It's best that you look into legal assistant or law clerk positions. You should look into job listings, cold call firms of your choice after narrowing down your preferred practice of law, and also network with other NCA students or lawyers at various events. If you can't find any work experience, you might want to search for volunteer opportunities. I'm not sure if this is available to you in BC, but I believe you can check out Access Pro Bono to see if you can work at pro bono clinics as a law student.
  3. This post is quite old now, but it has some useful information about class composition and yield rate within the discretionary category. Obviously, these statistics have no bearing on this year's entering class, but it's the best information we have.
  4. this may be a stupid question but by a waitlisted index applicant you mean those under regular waitlist category? or discretionary and regular waitlist combined?
  5. Today
  6. If it’s anything like last year and the years prior, about 20 seats (out of 200) are reserved for discretionary applicants. There are about 20ish people on the discretionary waitlist. If a waitlisted index applicant is accepted under disc (which happens), they will be removed from the index waitlist. Otherwise, the disc category is a separate system from index.
  7. Good luck getting it when parking opens though. Better chance once the waitlist opens!
  8. The topic this past year was a Brooklyn 99 themed Mr. Big operation! The prof for LRW loves memes and has a great sense of humor. Take the course seriously though, it will give you valuable skills for summer positions and articling if you plan to seek those.
  9. Accepted yesterday! LSAT 155 CGPA 3.95 (WES)
  10. I have found a two bed condo 2 minutes walk to the Law Center, $1,500 per month, utilities included (except for Wifi), fully furnished, key fob security entrance and heated UG parking available for extra fee, looking for someone to occupy the spare bedroom. It is a one year lease (I have just inquired about an 8 month lease). I have not secured a lease as of yet as I am hesitant to be responsible for the full rent and hoping to find another female roommate to share with. Please feel free to message me if you are interested and we can connect! Alternatively, if you are looking for another roommate I am seeking accommodation for this upcoming school year.
  11. I have found a two bed condo 2 minutes walk to the Law Center, $1,500 per month, utilities included (except for Wifi), fully furnished, key fob security entrance and heated UG parking available for extra fee, looking for someone to occupy the spare bedroom. It is a one year lease. I have not secured a lease as of yet as I am hesitant to be responsible for the full rent and hoping to find another female roommate to share with. Please feel free to message me if you are interested and we can connect! Alternatively, if you are looking for another roommate I am seeking accommodation for this upcoming school year.
  12. This. If you're planning to return to Canada straight away then the reputation and ranking will matter a lot more. Once you've been out of law school for a few years people can evaluate you on your track record.
  13. it updated on my uzone randomly (may 21)and the next day i received an e-mail prompting me to check my uzone. and thank u
  14. Any people accepted from deferred decision category?
  15. Waitlisted. number 13th on the discretionary waitlist. I called UBC and they said that discretionary waitlist is shorter compared to regular waitlist, implying that I have a fair shot in getting accepted. But what confuses me is that, discretionary waitlist seems to imply that those who are on the list moves up the ladder when people accepted from discretionary category withdraws. And from past posts, it seems that there aren't many spots reserved for discretionary candidates. Does anyone know how the discretionary waitlist works?
  16. I'll chime in here, as a long-term resident of Victoria! Your basic neighbourhoods around UVic are Gordon Head and Cadboro Bay. McKenzie Ave runs straight into campus, and there are a handful of buses that run along that road or roads that intersect - such as Shelbourne and Cedar Hill. If you're looking for beaches and walking distance to UVic, Cadboro Bay or Gordon Head Rd. are great options. Good luck finding something in those areas though, places go quick and are usually on the more $$ side! If you are sad about not being able to live on the beach, Gyro Park is just down the road from UVic (about 20 mins walking) and has a lovely beach for naps and happy hour. If you don't mind more of a bustle, Shelbourne Rd. has lots of stuff (fast-foodie style restaurants, a few banks, a pet store, yoga studios, etc.) and a pub. If you like malls and want to be close to a massive Canadian Tire, the area around Hillside Ave (dubbed Oaklands) is decent - and the #4 bus runs right along Hillside to UVic. Oak Bay is a bit too far for a walk, and the buses kind of suck, but if you're a cyclist or have a vehicle it's a gorgeous area. Lots of old rich white people though, and rent is a little pricier. The area between McKenzie Ave and Lambick Park tends to be packed full of undergraduates living off campus for the first time, so it can get pretty rowdy, if that matters to you. Downtown is definitely an option, if you're into the big city living. There are several buses that go direct to UVic or connect along the way. James Bay used to be a pretty sketchy area but it's getting fancier. Esquimalt has been described as the Surrey of Vancouver Island, but it's also getting a bit fancier. They even have a Red Barn now, which is a really important place for ya'll to visit because the SANDWICHES, OMG. But you'll be adding some transit time if you head across the bridges to Esquimalt/Gorge. Then, of course, there is Langford/Colwood/Metchosin/Sooke... Like rkathleen said, I'd avoid that area. Lots of people are buying out there because it's cheaper but the Colwood Crawl is a huge line of traffic that's super uncool and inconvenient. Oh, and the Uptown area - again for those who love malls. Uptown (funk you up) has a Walmart and a Whole Foods and a Cupcakes (super critical) and is pretty decent for buses. Mayfair Mall is down the road and just got a facelift and has a Sephora, Chapters, Aritzia, and some other less important stores. There tend to be apartments in those areas. No, we do not have an IKEA. If you're more of a small-town person (hehe) and have a vehicle - heading up the peninsula is a lovely option (towards Sidney). There is definitely less to do but lots of farmland and horses and stuff. I've seen a few places available around Elk Lake too, which is about 10km's around and great for dog-walking/training for marathons/solitary walks while listening to Nickelback. Anyways, if you have any questions, as the others have said, feel free to send me a message!
  17. I think the best option is to apply to legal assistant positions in all kinds of firms really. Apply broadly. This position can give you good experience in working in a Canadian firm, and can provide exposure to the firm for future employment after you complete the NCA exams and write the bar.
  18. From a quick search I thought Cooperators had a decent clear summary of how marijuana use may affect home, auto and life insurance policies: "Home insurance In all provinces except Manitoba and Quebec, you can legally grow up to four cannabis plants on your property for personal use. These four plants are treated the same as any other legal plant on your property and are covered under your Home insurance policy. If you illegally exceed the number of plants allowed in your province or territory, your claim may be denied entirely. Household members who smoke cannabis aren’t eligible for our non-smoker discount." [emphasis added] https://www.cooperators.ca/en/Resources/protect-what-matters/cannabis-legalization.aspx Re the home sale situation, like so many things, even if there's no obligation to disclose, can one put in the agreement (so not excluded by no reps and warranties clause) a condition on the offer? Your original disclaimer applies of course, and I'm not a RE insured... EDIT: also more generally, I knew anyway but also had a buyer's agent who advised me that anything I cared about needed to be in writing, such as fixtures or information about whether prior resident had been a smoker. But how many people don't realize that the real estate agent is an agent for the seller, and if not required to disclose anything, won't?
  19. I actually called because I have a job offer that will expire if I don't sign it very soon - unfortunately, the schools don't care. They have to go at their own pace. Unfortunately, you will hear when you are meant to hear. I am also super stressed with my deadline fast approaching!
  20. Yesterday
  21. As a general piece of advice to lurkers and 1Ls: never start a job application process by making excuses. It’s a bad look. It is not how you sell something. Doesn’t matter how relevant the excuse is.
  22. Sure. Silicon valley firms would. Bay street firms, not so much. Silicon valley firms built expertise in recruiting outside of North America because of the degree of specialization in some of the fields, and because demand for those roles outstrips North American supplies. That's not the case with the type of work the OP is looking to get into. We have plenty of very skilled, very qualified, Canadian and American-trained lawyers for that. And I don't get the sense that the patent or IP field, which tend to recruit lawyers with engineering undergrads are hurting for candidates. Also we're talking about an industry that hasn't quite gotten it's head around non-T-25 US law schools here. And those are law schools on the same continent as the firms. I'm not holding my breath that they'll be able to figure out which Indian engineering school is better than which Canadian engineering school when that's not even the primary criteria they're looking at.
  23. I mean if someone is specifically hiring for a student with an engineering background, it isn't hard to imagine that seeing an Indian undergrad degree might result in a Google search or two about said university. Siliconvalley firms literally prioritize hiring from places like the Indian institutes of technology...
  24. I think, based on what you are telling us, you would enjoy B more. Also, if you know someone who completed the program I believe this would make the process easier for you (you can get notes, advice, ask about profs and classes, get introduced to new people, etc.). I personally think that moving to a new city, and starting completely fresh, would be quite unsettling. But that is my opinion. Think it through and picture where you would feel happiest. Also, if you work over the summer you can begin to pay down your debt. Either way, you should make a fair amount once you graduate so don't worry too much about that yet. In my opinion, after having a poor experience in my undergrad, enjoying your time and being in a positive environment is more important than a small difference in cost. Good luck
  25. How far did you move? From Montreal to Edmonton. Quite the culture shock... What were your thoughts of how you would fare in your move/re-settlement in your new city? I was nervous at first. I thought I would never live in my home town ever again. But sometimes you need to seek greener pastures and explore a bit. It's not like you're changing countries - you settle down pretty quickly, especially as you jump into the legal world. Did these anticipatory thoughts match the reality of the process? There was no need to be nervous or fear that I would never be home again. The law is strange and can open up opportunities all over the world. Maybe someday Ill settle closer to home (though I can't practice in Quebec...) How did you manage to maintain your focus succeeding in law school while worrying about integrating in your social environment where you didn't know anyone? You WILL meet people in law school. It's inevitable. Almost annoying. There are SO MANY social opportunities to jump into. Integration will inevitably happen. Were there any techniques or advice you applied to help make your transition easier? Get out there. Go to law school functions, for study groups, chat with people near you. You are NOT the only transplant in law school. This is an exciting time in your life and you should look at it through that lens
  26. Got rejected today, was surprised too, considering my last semester grades averaged 90%...good luck everyone else!
  27. Writing this post in order to solicit information and hopefully establish a useful heuristic for any future applicants in my position: For those who moved for law school, I'd like to get a perspective of your experience. How far did you move? What were your thoughts of how you would fare in your move/re-settlement in your new city? Did these anticipatory thoughts match the reality of the process? How did you manage to maintain your focus succeeding in law school while worrying about integrating in your social environment where you didn't know anyone? Were there any techniques or advice you applied to help make your transition easier? Were these variables of any concern to you at all? Interested to know, thank ya. PS. All advice from anyone is greatly appreciated but I am especially interested to hear from those who have had a history of mental illness, if they are comfortable sharing this. You can PM me as well. Thanks again.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?