All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. @CrimNation Are your interests more specific than a broad conception of a "criminal lawyer?" In addition to the distinction between Crown and defence, there is a world of difference between low-volume, high-complexity crim work and doing duty counsel or otherwise docket court work, for example.
  3. I doubt any lawyer here can summarize their experience and advice for you in a post or multiple posts as mileages in the legal field differ and so does views on the subject. It is better to speak to lawyers in person and ask them these questions. Ask them what's in a day, a week, a month, a year like for them as lawyers? In the end, you must know yourself. The answers you are looking for sometimes come down to the area of law you choose to practice and what ultimately motivated you to practice this area of law - though you probably wont know this unless you enter law school. After all, what can be considered rewarding extends beyond monetary compensation and any real or perceived prestige you might feel graduating from law school. But first, don't do it for the money. You are setting yourself up for disappointment and regret. I find my job (family law litigation) rewarding and challenging despite the outward perception by many within and without the profession that it remains one of the most soul-crushing, stressful, and traumatic areas of law for anyone to practice. Matrimonial litigation is not an area that many would consider entering or remaining for long after they have discovered the nature of the work - emotionally sensitive clients, abused children, impoverished families, destroyed lives, forgone opportunities etc. Why do I find it rewarding? This is because this field of law aligns with my personal values and experiences. This is what I want to do in life. I do not profess that I do something as noble or grand as making the world a better place. I try to make it less miserable for those immediately impacted by a marital or relationship dissolution. All I can say is I care about people, their kids, and their lives after separation. Like many lawyers out there, I have sacrificed my lunch, my sleep, my vacation, my family time, and so forth to squeeze an extra hour to two at work. Even though not all my clients appreciate what I do, I know for a fact that if most of their clients were to try to manage a messy divorce on their own; some would spend years in court and thousands of dollars with no end in sight. Some would go from lawyer to lawyer, ending up spending thousands and thousands without a result. I consider steering many away from litigating based on emotion or past grievances a major victory (i.e. taking the emotional baggage out of it). Sometimes rewarding comes in the form of directing vulnerable people to my network of mental health assistance, childcare resources, financial aid, and legal guides. Other times it is doing pro bono work for a parent who would sell everything he/she has to save a child. On the other hand, to give you a balanced perspective, I have received threats on my life, the firm, and my legal license during my short tenure as a lawyer. Many such threats came from files where I did everything I could think of to help. Collectibility (i.e. clients paying you for your time spent) is another challenge that all family lawyers face. It comes down to this: Ask yourself what makes life rewarding or worth living for you? For me, it is about working with an area of law that affects everyone on an intimate level; and those in their greatest moment of need in life.
  4. Lots of solo and small shops practice general commercial work, but you're not going to be servicing major clients – you'll be helping normal people set up and manage their businesses. The area of big law work that seems most amenable to smaller practices is litigation, which is why you see so many litigation boutiques out there. After that, you tend to see quite a few relatively small firms practicing in the following areas: Insolvency Labour and employment Tax (I seem to remember @kurrika posting about a tax court judge who, prior to joining the bench, had operated a solo shop for some time) Although in the case of the latter two, those firms seem to generally service smaller clients. Litigation and insolvency seem almost uniquely well suited to servicing large clients from a small firm. In terms of the more corporate-corporate work done at big firms, things like securities, private equity, and the like seem to be dominated by big firms, with medium sized shops picking up the slack. I don't think I've ever heard of a <5 lawyer securities shop. This is just my general understanding of the market, and I've never really looked into L&E or tax work, so I'm open to being corrected by those with more knowledge.
  5. All things being equal, it's always going to be preferable to get reference letters from people who know you better. With that said, does it matter? It's not like you're debating whether or not you should get a TA who loves you or a prof who called you "GobletKing" one time – and hey, that's pretty close to GoblinKing, so she must kinda know you, right? – to write your letter. It sounds like you've got essentially no option except to ask professors who you aren't close with. And that's fine, lots of people get into law school every year with reference letters from profs that say little more than "they took my class, they did well, they've taken lots of classes, their grades say they did well, they'll probably continue to do well". You can be one of those people. If I were you, I would fill any mandatory academic references with professors who seemed nice and whose course you did well in. Write a nice email setting out where you're applying, the deadlines, and asking if they think they would be able and willing to write a positive reference letter for you. The word positive is important there, because it gives profs an out if they think they could only write a neutral letter. Once a professor agrees, offer to meet with them to discuss, and send them a copy of the following: A table outlining how to submit the necessary letters, to whom they should be addressed, and the deadlines Your transcript Your resume A copy of your personal statement for law school Hopefully, your professor will feel comfortable pulling from your resume and personal statement in order to beef up the letter a bit. At the very least, you'll show them that you're organized, communicate effectively via writing, and that you're serious about wanting to attend law school. After that, consider whether the non-academic references you might be able to get would be better than the academic ones. When I applied to law school, I had one professor write me a letter and one former boss write me one, simply because I thought the non-academic reference would highlight a unique part of my application. Best of luck
  6. Hi, I understand that I put many specifications on this. So a wider range of positions that don't fit all the specifications would also be appreciated. But to clarify, I'm not sure how you interpreted what I wrote, but I didn't mean a job where you would not be working for a couple of weeks at a time, a couple of times a year, but just where such work during this period of a couple of weeks would be able to be done without having to attend in person anywhere (e.g. you could still take phone calls, video calls, send work electronically, etc). I get your point though, I am really limiting the suggestions that I would get.
  7. Today
  8. Are there areas in business/corporate law that allow you to eventually go solo or maybe with another partner(s)? (other than real-estate)
  9. Hi, Does anyone know where bursary applications open? And, when they get approved?
  10. Wait, I thought you said that "certain employers" had been understanding of your situation. Now you're trying to say that they weren't? Which is it – is public sector HR "inflexible" to the point of not understanding that things have been derailed a bit by a global pandemic, or have they been "understanding of your situation"? See my post in the call to the bar thread – I think a little compassion goes a long way these days. You're right that it's part of someone's job to prepare transcripts. But you're wrong that it's "an incredibly simple, easy, and quick task to complete" – they presumably have a backlog, it presumably took some time for them to organize an alternative service and set it up to be accessed from home, there may be workers off sick or off taking care of loved ones, the person has other responsibilities, productivity is down, etc. etc. Anyways, this is all a silly sidetrack. I didn't respond to your post, nor did I pretend to provide information in response to your query. I merely stated that "it took 18 days for them to get me my transcript during a global pandemic" was a rather poor reason to not attend a law school. I stand by that assessment.
  11. Fair points! Glad to hear I won’t be alone if I end up deciding to live there Yeah I don’t have a car so I was a bit worried about the transit situation and just the relative isolation of the campus location if everything is closed. I think I’ll wait to hear what will be able to be held in person before making a final decision.
  12. Look dude, I know you like to stir shit up, and you're often technically right when you do so, but if your position is that it's okay and excusable to take 18 days for a request like this, given that it's literally their job, it is an incredibly simple, easy and quick task to complete, and it is of significant importance to students that such requests be fulfilled in a timely fashion, you aren't going to persuade me no matter how many follow-up posts you make. I asked a question about what is going on in other schools; you've at least provided a relevant answer here. This is subjective but I would say I might prefer it being literally impossible to obtain an updated official transcript to what UBC is offering, because at least that situation would be uncomplicated, it would give one an ironclad reason why they can't provide possibly provide it, one wouldn't get ripped off with fees for services that aren't provided within any reasonable length of time, and one wouldn't have this hanging over their head to the same degree. But it's informative to hear that UBC isn't the only one dropping the ball, at least. As for your latter point, bureaucracy and inflexibility in HR procedures is just a thing in public sector hiring, for example. Since there are many government jobs I am interested in, I don't have the luxury of telling them to go fuck themselves if they are rigid about such things (I'll bend over and take this before I apply for any private sector job that isn't a crim defence firm). And I suspect many students aren't really in a position to be too choosy either. Your comment on that point is just fatuous.
  13. Areas of law that you could go solo: Criminal, family, immigration, real estate, wills & estates, and I'm sure I missed a few others. However, to answer the above, you are going to probably need a clerk or legal assistant if you have a solo real estate practice, and you are definitely going to want a good clerk at your side for family law.
  14. Osgoode isn't even offering official transcripts at the moment, so UBC is winning that battle. Also, if "certain employers: aren't understanding of "there's a global pandemic that literally shut down my university and basically every other university on the planet, here's an unofficial transcript and I'll get you an official one ASAP", I don't think you should want to work there.
  15. 18 days to send you a pdf of your transcript? what in the world
  16. Okay, but I've seen people talk about incompetent CSOs before in this very thread, and had certain employers not been understanding of my situation, this incompetence from enrollment services would have been more damaging than CSO incompetence.
  17. I also think yall at least 25 years old now. Like come on. Are you only a lawyer if you can post to the instragam a picture of you at a bar ceremony with the hastag #lawyered Blows my mind how many people are going bananas about potentially not receiving a bar ceremony.
  18. Surely "they took 18 days to send me a pdf of my transcript" is not a good reason not to attend a law school
  19. You know, I finally figured out why all the belly-aching from new calls and current articling students rubs me the wrong way. It's that the same people who were/are desperate for the LSO to accommodate them – through abridged articles, reduced fees, extended payment plans, whatever – are actively complaining that the LSO isn't doing things perfectly. The people at the LSO are normal humans like the rest of us, and have had their lives turned upside down the same way everyone else has. It's unreasonable to expect them to both accommodate you because your life has been disrupted and do everything exactly the way you want them to do it. You have to be accommodating as well. And as hard as it is to believe, figuring out how to livestream their meetings to 296 law students, none of whom expressed any desire in this thread to be able to watch a livestream of a bureaucratic meeting, isn't the top priority for the LSO. Nor should it be – they've needed to figure out how to ensure the public still has access to competent legal services during a global pandemic, they've needed to figure out how to administer the bar exams that were cancelled, they've needed to figure out whether or not to administer the bar exams in the future, etc. There are a billion things more pressing than whether or not you were charged an extra $65 relative to your peers or whether or not you were able to watch a live stream of convocation. Hell, this thread has even devolved into outraged complaints about things that are perfectly normal. See, for e.g., the person who got all upset about the call to the bar fee like it was some magical surprise that hasn't been clearly listed on the LSO website since time immemorial, or the fact that new calls weren't delivered there LSO numbers immediately by carrier pigeon the instant they were called. I think a little compassion would go a long way here. Everyone is trying their best. The LSO has stated that they'll be examining options to celebrate your achievements with your peers and family in due time. The purpose of the administrative call is to help you be able to practice law as quickly as possible, not to replace the typical call to the bar ceremony. So instead of complaining and being frustrated with the LSO, why not take today to celebrate with the people that care about you?
  20. Makes me wonder why they're offering to refund the April portion of the Upass through student services (by phone).
  21. Tbh reference letters seem like a waste of time for law school admissions every step of the way. Nobody wants to ask for them, write them and I doubt anybody wants to read them.
  22. I had a similar problem. I wrote to housing and they "activated" the option on myFile. You could do that or wait it out and see if it comes up on its own in a few days.
  23. https://emondexamprep.ca/practice-exams/ontario-bar-exams/ Go to "Indices and Indexing" and you will find a link to the old indices there. Emond's bar exam prep manual had some helpful information as well.
  24. Your school will probably put together an updated list ahead of the recruit. That will be the easiest way to get updated numbers
  25. See the list at the bottom: http://ultravires.ca/2019/07/davies-raises-articling-pay-to-2250/ Edit: Just noticed the article is about articling salaries and you asked about summer salaries, which are not always the same.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?