All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Wasn't McGill founded as a civil law? I think Dal is the oldest common law school at a university in Canada.
  3. The best advice to always apply and see. That being said, if Osler or something is looking to add in the articling recruit they usually run a very limited recruit for just one student. They know they will have their pick and are selective as a result.
  4. Siskinds already filled their spots, unfortunately. I'm interested in Roy O'Connor and Sotos as well! Re: final paragraph, is it because of the heightened competition (i.e. since demand for students is low) that I wouldn't be competitive at Bay Street firms seeking to add additional articling students?
  5. Sutts Strosberg is an unusual case because it is based in Windsor. Any reason you would prefer them over London-based Siskinds? They are probably the largest plaintiff class action firm. Roy O’Connor, Rochon Genova or Sotos might be good Toronto based options. You will be competitive at any firm doing the articling recruit as their main source of students (but not for Bay Street looking to add one more student). Obviously apply to all you are interested in. Edited to add I think plaintiff firms are not looking for clerks as they are not marketing prestigious juniors in exchange for high hourly rates, like Palaire, for example, is.
  6. If you are in your first few years of call at a major firm you should probably not be actively trying to bring in clients. Anyone who might hire you directly is unlikely to be a valuable client. There is a ton else you can do. You can develop areas of work and referral sources within your firm, try to remain socially engaged with your law school classmates and becoming a visible and prominent member on certain client teams so you are part of the face of the firm to them. Many people do very well at large firms without a major “direct” client base, i.e. companies where they were both the initial and direct point of contact. They do so by being a go-to-person in something (like tax litigation) for partners with clients who send their existing (in this example) tax litigation work elsewhere. If you are in a satellite office this can be as easy as being the “Ottawa guy” for enough large office partners.
  7. The u of a parking services portal opens for commuting students in July usually, and there are lots of options. I think most students take the LRT, just because its so convenient!
  8. I don't think its realistic. LRW is on Friday, either 9-12 or 1-4. That means the earliest flight you could take to Toronto would be 1:30 or so, meaning you wouldn't arrive until around 8pm, so at best, you'd get 2 days. If you're in the PM group, you're looking at a 6pm flight, meaning a midnight arrival. Plus, remember that your weekends won't be free...you'll have a lot of readings to do, studying, group work (factum, moot), etc. I think your best bet would be to go home during long weekends, but otherwise,
  9. I think the replies in this thread represent exceptions. The general rule is it is hard to transition general areas when you have worked as an associate. General areas meaning, for example, litigation broadly as opposed to sub-specialties where it can be straightforward to make a mid-career change.
  10. This discussion is going in circles. It appears that after 6 pages, everyone who wants to contribute has had the opportunity to do so, and there really is little, if anything, left to say. I think it's clear that, yes, there is a stigma. Fair or not, that's the way it is and people choosing to take that path should be aware of the challenges they may face upon return from a foreign school.
  11. Canadian law schools don't usually care about grad degrees (I think there may be one or two that do?) because everyone knows about the grade inflation in most masters' programs, and, as @ProfReader said, doing well in a masters' doesn't do much to predict success in law school. Aside, if someone has a 2.7 UGPA, I'd question the quality of any grad program that accepted them in the first place. I wouldn't agree that getting a B in a foreign law school makes anyone a "shoe-in" for a transfer. There are a limited number of transfer seats in Canadian law schools, and many of them are taken up by people transferring from other Canadian schools. I'm positive that the number of foreign transfers accepted is way less than the numbers that apply.
  12. Law isn't the rest of the "labour market." As you have been told, it is jurisdictional, and studying law in another country isn't meeting the requirements to practice it in Canada, and clearly many of the lawyers here are suspicious that the NCAs are not a sufficient correction of that issue. You asked, well why is there an exception for schools like Harvard then? and the answer is simply that the prestige to the firm of hiring a Harvard grad outweighs the disadvantages. And the prestige comes from it being well-known that Harvard requires a very high LSAT and GPA and Harvard grads have their pick of employment in the US so if they want to come to Canada, it is not from any desperation or last resort and if they choose your firm, that speaks well to the firm. You got your answers, but now you're arguing with them because you disagree with what you were told. You may just need to actually start law school, start working as a lawyer and be part of the hiring process before it makes sense to you. As has been pointed out to you, most NCA applicants who didn't go to Cambridge or Harvard apply to small firms for work. Lawyers in small firms are very busy. We don't have hiring committees, recruiters or HR departments. We have to do a lot of our own admin and our business development as well as legal work. We are not going to be running around trying to figure out what someone's degree means when we have plenty of equally good people in front of us whose qualifications we can easily figure out. I just tried to figure out what qualifications a Canadian needs to get into UCL and I couldn't get a straight answer - the web page was talking about all kinds of exams that mean nothing to me. Most lawyers are not going to be motivated to go through all that. Of course it's not "fair", but who says life is fair? The legal profession still has problems with racism against visible minorities and indigenous people, retention of women etc. If we haven't solved discrimination for factors people can't control, what makes you think it's a high priority to solve problems faced by people who voluntarily choose a path that they know or should know will disadvantage them?
  13. Hey Everyone! We are looking for a fourth roommate in a 4-bedroom apartment! The apartment is about a 15-20 min walk to the uni (located on the fringe of Le Plateau et le Quartier des spectacles). It’s been recently renovated and comes with a rooftop terrace Washing machine, dryer, fridge and oven/stove included. It’s a 4 bedroom apartment and we’re looking for one more person ! So far two of us are starting at Faculty of Law this year (one girl, one guy), with another guy finishing up his undergrad in anthropologie. We would love if we could get another law student, preferably another girl. The rent is 690$ per month and the utilities come up to approximately 50$ each per month. N.B. The lease starts July 1st If you're interested, feel free to send me a private message!
  14. At the firm I worked at before going solo, the senior partner was in the middle of transitioning into purely real estate practice after having spent about 15 years doing family law. Even if the cement hardens, it's always possible to take a proverbial jackhammer to it. You just have to be comfortable going back and starting from scratch in terms of the learning, and depending on where you are (like big form vs solo for example), starting your business and possibly whole career over again. That may be more of a consideration than anything else really, especially if you have a mortgage, kids, etc. Earlier on, lots of people move around and try different things. Within the first five or even ten years of call, I don't think it's all that uncommon.
  15. Contact the law society. I requested extras my year and it was no problem getting them.
  16. Like others, I've had the whole range. When I lived in Toronto one of my neighbours introduced herself and when we were on the rooftop terrace one day and we started chatting. She asked what I did, told her I was a lawyer. She was actually really interested and then asked me what area of law I worked in. At the time I was doing crim defence and she got all awkward and the conversation ended. I got the definite vibe she thought I was scum all of a sudden lol. On the other hand, other people have been anything from impressed to blasé. But my favourite was when I was getting my haircut once, she asked the standard what-kind-of-work-do-you-do question. When I told her I was a lawyer, she said ya, she was going to be a lawyer too, cause she had the marks and everything... You know like she got mostly Bs and a couple of As in high school. But she decided to go to hairdressing school instead to challenge herself. To this day I'm not sure if she was trolling me or what lol. Now when people ask, I tell them I'm a family lawyer and the first reaction I get is usually a kind of disapproving remark that I probably make a ton from divorces. I sometimes mention that I do a ton of child protection/CAS stuff and people usually seem genuinely interetsed in that and how it works. Guess it all just depends on the context and who you're talking to.
  17. I think SuperBig is correct !!!! My best friend's mom got her Permanent card confiscated and removed by custom in airport because of super short stay each year, a few day only each year. She had no intention of long staying , so the card was confiscated and removed. I don't know if your US JD tour is considered reasonable or legitimate grounds . you may know how to choose, Just in Case SHIT HAPPENS
  18. I meant specs weird fake fact, but 10/10 retort 😂
  19. Hello, I am considering purchasing the Emond exam prep videos for the P1 exam. Before I make the decision to do so, I want to make sure it's worth it. Can anyone who has had past experience with them provide some feedback as to the quality of the videos. Were they informative and helpful? Do they cover the subject in depth or simply gloss over it? Did the videos compliment the study materials or are you better off without them ? Any feedback is much appreciated!
  20. Your counterpoint adds nothing. Most people have an A- or A average in grad school. So what. Grad marks have nothing to do with anything. I'd be willing to bet that grad marks are a much, much poorer predictor of law school success than law school grades at another law school (including a foreign one). If I were on a law school admissions committee, which I have been, I would much rather let in a transfer who had gone to a decent foreign law school and had a B+ average than someone who had an A- or A in some sort of grad program. This is because I can infer something about their ability to succeed in a Canadian law school from their foreign grades, whereas their success in a grad program tells me nothing because basically everyone succeeds in those programs and the skills tested in grad programs are not similar to those tested in 1L. You would not be a shoe-in as a transfer applicant with a B average at anywhere that I have worked. A B+ (assuming the school doesn't curve to a B+) would likely get you in, depending on the number of transfer applications that year and number of students we had lost to transfers.
  21. Hi everyone! Would anyone be able to share a sample of their 1L schedule? Thanks!
  22. It's also important to mention that there are hundreds of Canadians studying law abroad. For example, Bond has 150 Canadian students alone. I'm sure a large percentage of the hundreds of Canadians studying law abroad apply to transfer to a Canadian school after 1L. Unfortunately for them, each Canadian school only allows a small number of transfers per year. It wouldn't surprise me if 10% or less of foreign students applying for a transfer get accepted at a Canadian law school.
  23. Well I think we've met the end of where this discussion can reasonably head, we have 2 very different ideas of what a relaxed standard looks like. The only counter I'd point towards, is even if the same non-competitive 2.7 ugpa fellow with a 149 lsat, did a grad degree IN CANADA and got an A average he'd still be not competitive for Canadian law schools. But if he got a B-B+ in a foreign law school, he'd be a shoeing for a transfer.
  24. Having just gotten into a big discussion about something similar in another thread. Your smartest move would likely be to do a JD where ever you intend to practice. Your Korean degree I doubt is a common law degree because I think Korea is a civil law country. So you may run into issues with that. Also why are you moving around so much. A Korean degree, than an American degree, now a Canadian one? I would wonder if an employer might view that as a red flag that you may not stick around long enough for them to recover their money they put into training you? Do you even have a good reason to move to Canada? Because if you have an Ivy League degree in undergrad, that carries a great degree of weight in America in terms of networking. Even if you can only get into a T-30 or t-50 school, provided your grades are good enough, those connections from the Ivy League ought to land you a better job than would be attainable in Canada with NCA exams or a foreign degree and an LLM. If I had an ivy league undergrad, was a Korean llb, I would leverage that to get clients and just stay in the states and do immigration law serving the Korean community or something like that. You'd probably make more money given the large number of Koreans who want to get out of Korea anyways. That is my 2 cents.
  25. Without more information, I'm not as confident as you are that Canadian schools let in foreign transfers with B averages. We clearly disagree on what the word "relaxed" means. To me, it means applying one standard to the applicant (for example, a 3.0 GPA) and then accepting the same applicant with lower grades (for example, a 2.7 GPA). In other words, the standard itself changed. That isn't what is happening here. These applicants qualified by a completely different path that has nothing whatsoever to do with undergrad GPA.
  26. As much as I don't think that it should be stigmatized, I am pretty sure it was back then, because one lawyer who worked for me for 4 years, was a Bond lawyer he was a very good guy and a good lawyer, but he could only get employment in his dad's firm, nowhere else would hire him. He graduated from Bond back in the late 00s. One thing I have become very suspicious of, is I've seen many grads from both UK and Australia, return to Canada, article and seemingly never work in law again. I'm not in touch with them for the reason why and many of them seem to work full time being cheerleaders of selling this study aborad sub-par schools for their old alumni school. I find it to be very strange. Why not just open your own law firm because you've articled now even if no one will hire you? Of note story, but I knew a fake lawyer who made $25,000 in a month by taking deposits from people in a fake law firm. He basically ran his own shop, took retainers/deposits from whoever wanted legal services and then he basically shut the place down and flew back to Russia.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?