All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I'm honestly not trying to be snarky here. But if you're really acting the way you describe here (poking holes in what your mom's friend thinks about Celine Dion, saying "tell it to your therapist, this is completely irrelevant to me"), then you are going to do a lot of damage to your personal and professional reputation. If I heard a 1L talking like that, I wouldn't think they're confident and analytical. I'd think they're an arrogant prick. I'd avoid them. And if given the choice to work with them, I'd be concerned that they lack the basic social skills to function in an office environment and navigate a client relationship.
  3. It took me over 8 months as I started with a really low diagnostic (low 150's). I was working full-time so I could only do about 4 hours of studying during the week and another 5-7 hours over the weekend. I think it would have taken less time if I had the option to study full-time. I did the online course from 7Sage. What helped my score improve was doing timed practice tests and then going over questions that gave me difficulties. I would write explanations on why I thought the right answer was right and why the four remaining answers were wrong. I would do this before I even looked at the answer key to develop my reasoning skills and intuition. If I was wrong, I would revise my explanation and write down what my flawed assumption was so that I could learn from it. For logic games, I just kept doing them over and over again until I got the answers within the set time. I think it's good that you're giving yourself a lot of time to study. I would aim for the December test. If you need to retake, you still have one more shot. Keep in mind U of A averages your LSAT score. All the other schools take your highest.
  4. If you're asking whether you're making a huge mistake to go into law school because of the future debt that's a cost benefit analysis you'll have to do for yourself - but is that your question? It sounds like you're asking whether $75K is a manageable amount of debt and I guess my answer would be if you have an option to make it lower why aren't you taking it? I mean if you're going to go to law school regardless, and you have no other options, then $75K is manageable by default.
  5. Depends on which premise you're basing that assumption on I guess.
  6. Baby lawyer is never going to turn into adult lawyer at this rate
  7. So law school prepared you for the real world by making you totally ill equipped to be out and about in it.
  8. Ok at least I’m not alone lol. I hope more info gets sent out regarding all this. Like an email or something 😕
  9. $75,000 is a manageable amount of debt, in my opinion. But it's also still a lot of debt. Figure out what the monthly payments will be, what kind of job you are aspiring to, and the starting salary for said job. That should give you at least an idea of what's reasonable for you. Of course, things change. You could end up in big law, where your debt load will feel pretty insignificant compared to your future earnings. Or you could end up articling for free with no prospect of a hire back, in which case the debt load could be crushing until you establish yourself. If it makes you feel any better, I was in similar position as you and law school turned out to be very good investment for me.
  10. I don't see the need to cite any one person in particular, but I can assure you I have been told both in person, via law student discussions and with already practicing lawyers that you "can't" work during 1L. But I think its irrelevant either way. And I agree with you, as I stipulated in my previous comment. If working takes away from something, be it your grades or your ability to be involved in something relevant and important to you, then its best to pull back on the working part (if it is financially feasible for you to do). Like I said, law is super subjective and you need to make it what you want it. That's the beauty of law school, you can make it fit whatever your aspirations are in life. I'm very grateful for my law school experience thus far, and I am also grateful for the experiences I have had with the work I did during 1L. Its definitely been a very interesting first year and I hope that everyone going in also has an awesome experience :).
  11. Today
  12. Hey everyone! I’ve been accepted into a law school this year and I’ve paid my deposit and started to secure financing. I’ve applied for Student Loans and a Professional Student Line of Credit. Today I was approved for a $135,000 PSLOC. I haven’t been awarded any scholarships or bursaries and my personal savings are minimal. I’m really excited to go back to school and I strongly believe law is a career I can see myself excelling in, but I can’t help but worry about the massive amount of debt I’m about to take on. I created a budget and anticipate to spend approx. $25,000 per academic year, which could mean $75,000 of debt when I graduate. Is this a manageable amount of debt, or am I about to make a huge mistake by taking on this much? Thank you
  13. I haven’t seen my student number from UDM on anything thus far... I would check with Christina Loebach, as she has either known the answer or been able to point me in the right direction for every question I’ve asked.
  14. Haha so true!!! But within limits. If its a friend, I tend to spare them ;).
  15. I don't think I've ever seen anyone here, or off the forum, say "you absolutely CAN'T work during 1L". Who, exactly, are you quoting here? And why do you have a personal vendetta? That's a little extreme. What most reasonable people who are attempting to answer the question will say, is that it isn't advisable for most students unless it is financially necessary. No one knows, going into 1L, how they, or any other student, is going to adjust, which is why it's a wise decision to wait at least until second semester of 1L to see if you are comfortable with devoting a certain number of hours to a part-time job. In 2L and 3L, it becomes easier because you can set your own schedule and will be in a better position to know your abilities to manage your time. Grades are important, being involved in law-related ECs is important, and if a part-time job takes away from your ability to get good grades and to get involved in the ECs that interest you, then something is going to suffer. If you are going to law school but have no intention of practicing, then you are in a relatively unique position. The vast majority of your classmates, and of applicants, in general, are going to law school to eventually practice law.
  16. Lots of interesting feedback! To answer the second part of your question, the "real world" application of law, bearing in mind that i have only completed 1L thus far, I would say law has done the following: 1. Greatly improved my confidence! While I literally was shaking at my knees in my first mock courtroom submission in front of a pretend judge, after doing a couple of these things during my first year, I find that I am SUPER confident in practical situations. Very little intimidates me now and I have learned to realize the only thing that I found intimidating in the past, were people who would give me these false arguments that actually did not make logical sense! (I think the LSAT helped with this a lot too). 2. Issue spot. And no, I don't mean in legal cases, I mean issue spotting in day-to-day life. I never really realized how much BS people throw out at you in everyday life before going to law school. I find myself following the logical flow of people's arguments (whether the argument be what they had for dinner, or what their mother's best friend thinks about Celine Dion) and poking holes in it. Before, I would take a person's unsolicited advice and contemplate it, now I am able to poke holes in it and stop them in their tracks with the realization that their advice is completely illogical. 3. Embrace conflict. I am a natural introvert. I would flee at the first sight of conflict. Now, I take conflict head on. If someone wants to be adversarial with me, I use the facts I know about the situation, poke holes in their argument where it is weak and generally cause people to think twice about challenging me on things they have no real idea about. 4. Has reduced my threshold for mediocrity and ridiculousness. Over the summer, I am working in a leadership role. Part of my role includes managing people and disciplining when needed. When someone is clearly in the wrong and they try to back peddle with ridiculous arguments and justifications, while I used to be empathetic and understanding, I find now I have very little patience for it. I have been called Judge Judy by some (I am not sure if this is a compliment or offensive, still deciding haha) because I have been as crass as to tell people "tell it to your therapist, this is completely irrelevant to me". While this arguably is not a great trait, I never realized how much time I wasted in the past listening to people's nonsense. I find it actually exhilarating and refreshing that I have been able to filter the necessary interactions with people in a professional setting to things that are relevant and pertinent. Before, I was weighing myself down with other people's baggage, and in reality, this isn't fair. We all have our own problems and we all work through them. If I am your friend, I will listen, but as a professional, I don't care. 5. Has changed my world view. I definitely see things differently now that I have some legal experience. If someone threatens to sue me, I simply say "Whats your cause of action? Because I don't see any here". I also spot negligence, carelessness and understand the legalese of my phone contract. My world view has opened up and I feel like I have a better understanding of how things function in a legal context. I'm interested to hear how law has changed other people's personal lives, aside from the obvious how it has impacted their legal careers.
  17. Long time lurker, 1st time poster. I've been following this discussion thread (and basically this entire website) for quite some time. I've also been under evaluation with seemingly no movement. I emailed admissions and got a response this morning: Hopefully we'll hear back sooner rather than later!
  18. Il y a un groupe Facebook séparé pour le programme JD français mais nous pouvons aussi nous joindre au groupe général.
  19. Congrats - that is great news for you! I am surprised that with a 516 you were approved (even with a co-signor) - but that really excellent for you (and very informative for future readers) and I imagine quite the relief. Best of luck!
  20. Sorry Today @ 4:18pm. Take it as a good sign you haven't heard anything!
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?