All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi all, I was wondering what the process to apply for residence at TRU is. Moreover, does anyone suggest any one Res building over another? Or to avoid Res all together? My priorities are to be in a safe environment and to be as close to my classes as possible. Thanks!
  3. Are you doing your JD/masters in 3 years or 4? If 4, you have lots of time to brush up on interview skills and improve your grades (though having multiple interviews in the 1L recruit means you're already doing pretty well) because you'll effectively get an extra kick at the can for summer jobs (if your masters doesn't require a summer of studying). Otherwise the advice here on interview skills are sound. I'll add one last one: focus on the three why's: why you, why that job, why that employer. Don't be tacky about it. Interview naturally still. But point your answers in a way which answers those questions. To do that and still sound genuine, you need to figure out what actually interests you and apply to those jobs.
  4. Worst: The fact that at the end of the day, all most students care about is finding the almighty articling position. There is a huge amount of stress before you land one, and people practically tune out of law school once they've secured it. Best: Entertaining profs who genuinely care and are interested in what they teach.
  5. Hey guys, i am a fourth year student at University of Toronto, St. George and ill be graduating at the June 2019 convocation. Im taking a year off to make some money for tuition and such but i wanted to get an idea of my chances with my numbers/background. I had a rough first two years with some family issues (medical) which took a toll on me. since second year ive had a solid upward trend with my grades not falling below an 80. My CGPA is a 3.01 and L2 is a 3.7, with a few low to mid 90s. I am writing the July LSAT and my PTs are in the 163-167 range right now. I have solid ECs -- tons of volunteer work (a bunch with indigenous services), two internships (finance and law firm), board member at u of t pre-law and editor on the law journal, was the head of a student run philanthropic group. Two solid references (two profs, one at the U of T law school). Wondering if my first two years will hinder me from getting into schools in Canada. Right now im looking at Western, Queens, Osgoode, Dal, UBC, Windsor. I know some look at/emphasize your last two years but i wanted to get a perspective from you guys.
  6. Very much this. Do not think that because you know a bit about logic or that you have experience that you will do well on the LSAT. Everyone (EVERYONE) is able to improve their score through study and practice, so take at least a couple months before you write it and learn the sections and timing and you will do much better.
  7. I think I need to be clearer: I’m not doing the US dual thing. I’m studying at a school in Toronto and getting an additional Masters which turns out to be not that much more expensive than just doing the straight JD due to scholarships. I figured that if finding a legal job does not work out, at least it will help me branch out into the other discipline. I was under the impression that adding a masters to my degree wouldn’t affect my chances at a law job, especially not just a summer one. I really do want a legal job though, even if it isn’t “high paying”. My undergrad grades were pretty good too, in fact they usually comment on them in interviews. The school I go to has “top” students so I’m average amongst pretty brilliant people. My peers are definitely not “below average”. I was also quite sick in 1L although I never share this during interviews or CVs... maybe I should? Usually when I tell other people how sick I was they are understanding and kind of shocked, but since my grades are fairly average I don’t want to really mention it during my interviews since I don’t really know if it affected my performance and I feel like it’s too personal. I have been doing a lot better in recovery though, so perhaps if my grades continue to get better I will mention it. I didn’t want to say which school I was in because of anonymity but I was excited going to this school because all I heard was that it had a reputation for having “top” students but at my last interview, one of the interviewers made a comment about a different school being better (because it was her law school). I didn’t take it to heart but it seriously makes me skeptical about some schools being better than others or that school is factored into consideration for interviews. I think for some interviews it might matter, but for this one it clearly didn’t. I’m not exactly sure how to read the interviewers. I think that’s where I have the most difficulty. I can’t tell what they’re thinking or how an interview is supposed to go. I feel like everything has been standard so far: answer questions about myself, ask questions about them, usually lasts an hour or so. I’d say two or three of the interviews have been fairly conversational but no luck there either. The reason why I think it has something to do with me personally (as oppose to other applicants, etc) is because I’ve never been the most likeable person. Usually I’m quite easy to forget and I struggle to make connections that are meaningful and long-lasting. I have no way of knowing if I come off as weird or anxious during interviews... I really don’t know. I’ve asked friends and they say I’m fine. I think it I had no interviews, I wouldn’t be concerned because I’d assume it’s really competitive etc. But I have been getting interviews from a lot of the places I send in applications to, and then after the interview it’s radio silence. I’m worried it has more to do with how I present myself in interviews and the interviewers perception of me as oppose to what school I go to, what degrees I’m doing, etc.
  8. @Tigerlilly ces liens pourraient servir d’exemples pour la 1ère partie http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/special/questionnaires/2015/culture-generale/index.html http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/special/questionnaires/2016/q2/culture-connaissances-generales/index.html
  9. Famous last words... Speaking from experience, I'd recommend ditching this mindset: not only will it hold you back from trying your absolute best, it'll just add to your frustration and anguish if your expectations don't line up with reality. When it comes to LSAT prep, start as a blank slate, assume nothing, be ready to put in the work, and give yourself as much time as you need to prepare.
  10. @wambyboy ces questions là sont celles de l’entrevue! @Tigerlilly pour ce qui est du test de culture générale et scolaptitudes, il s’agit d’un test à 2 parties. La 1ère partie: culture générale - 60 questions, 40 minutes - choix multiples (style questions trivia). La 2e partie: c’est des questions de logique - 80 questions, 60 minutes - choix multiples.
  11. Today
  12. I went to Queen's and now practice family law. I am not familiar with Ottawa so I can only comment about Queen's. At the time that I was there the family law courses were few and far between. There was the introduction course and those years, advanced family law was not offered. Although you could augment your field of interest by studying children's law (mainly Youth Family Justice and protection) or other peripheral areas of study to family law. The family law clinic is restricted to a handful of participants and therefore, can be hard to get into. Some of the placements were of little value because the agency or organization had little interest in mentoring the students and restricted their students attendance at appearances and conferences because of privacy concerns, etc. There were only a small number of plum placements (judges and practitioners). Of course my comments are dated so I would agree with the suggestions above that you do more research about the course offerings. In other words, I wouldn't discount Ottawa on the perception that Queen's offers a more fulsome family law program. Much of what you learn about practicing law comes after your graduation from law school in any event. At the time I was at Queen's the focus of the school was on developing further its corporate/commercial/business profile and maximizing summering and articling positions through the OCIs. That could change now though with the appointment of a new dean.
  13. I will note one advantage of the Dual program is that you get access to a number of possible 1L jobs in the states that aren't available to purely Canadian students. OP should be looking into those opportunities.
  14. Yeah I think it bears reiterating that finding a 1L summer job is very difficult even if you have many grades above the curve. There are only a handful of positions and they’re mostly taken by those with many As. Get good grades and do what you can to prepare for OCIs. And as others have said above, you’re at a disadvantage by being in the dual program (I assume you mean Windsor’s but the same likely goes for others), so you’ll need to work harder to overcome the negatives. Being at the curve won’t be doing you any favours generally, let alone out of a dual program.
  15. I agree, it's likely also because my grades are borderline. But im sure my weak ECs aren't doing me any favours. If only I hit closer to my PT average on the January LSAT
  16. I'd hazard a guess that I applied to between 100 and 200 jobs before I found my articling position. I did not find summer jobs in law in 1L or in 2L. I'm exceedingly happy with where I ended up and will be compensated quite well. The fact you're getting interviews is a good sign, so keep going, ask for feedback from your interviews, and keep improving. The margins at this stage are super thin, as Diplock eluded to. You'll be fine.
  17. AFAIK TRU is no longer collaborating with U of C, but many of the curriculum and core courses are still based off of U of C. You get a TRU degree not a U of C degree like in the initial years.
  18. I really appreciate your opinions on this matter. It's very helpful to speak with someone who has experience at both schools. @erinl2 Thank-you for the advice. I definitely need to do more research on course offerings and clinics at both schools, and, frankly, should have done more extensive research earlier.
  19. I was doing some research on TRU and apparently the JD program is offered in collaboration with the University of Calgary. Is there still a connection between the two schools?
  20. I attended both schools as a transfer, and my personal experience is that Queen's is a better school
  21. I just finished a Philosophy and Polisci degree at UofT and despite doing well in my philosophy courses my diagnostic LSAT was a 151. It took a lot of hard work to get my score up to where I was happy with it. I wouldn't infer from studying philosophy alone that you'll get a decent score. Edit: If you're from a low-income background, look into the UofT law School Access Program!
  22. I agree with this and it should not be a primary reason to attend
  23. If you're not set on practicing in Ottawa, I recommend Queen's because you could still access the Ottawa market while getting all the advantages of going to Queen's (specifically family law). Definitely a tough decision. I don't value the better reputation of Queen's, at least relative to Ottawa, but I used to when I was an applicant. I think Queen's is a better overall school because of the campus, the legal aid clinics, the law building and its libraries, the student body initiatives, the faculty (although only slightly - there are some phenomenal profs at Ottawa like Blair and Feldthusen), and I like the commute time to campus (but you could find a place near Ottawa's campus). I also like that there are only 220 law students per year at Queen's compared to 320 at Ottawa in addition to the 200 in the civil law program. Ottawa's law building is basically taking the subway during rush-hour all day, and this also influences hiring opportunities for clinics and research assistant positions In terms of employment opportunities, you should check the stats of 2L OCI hiring which are posted somewhere on this website and would give you a better indication than I can. I expect Queen's would place more students, but I also note that Ottawa has 100 more students, so that would affect the percentages.
  24. As well-respected as Nick is, I would not make the presence of one prof, at any school, the primary factor in choosing which school to attend. It's not as though you will be taking multiple courses from one prof. Look at the course offerings at both schools in the areas that interest you, do some research on clinic opportunities re: who is chosen to work there, for how long, the likelihood of getting the opportunity, etc. These are things that every student who is making this type of decision should do. In addition, cost, housing, amenities that the city offers, may all be important to you. Where do you want to work eventually? Kingston has a very small legal community but there is demand in some areas. If you want to end up practicing there, then Queen's should likely be your choice, all else considered. If you want to eventually live and practice in Ottawa, making connections will be easier and likely more fruitful if you are in Ottawa for law school. It's a larger legal community, and a close one. Having said that, Queen's students do interview and get hired by Ottawa employers if they are able to convince of a connection there. Personally, I don't think that Queen's is necessarily a better school. I'm not sure what criteria people use in order to conclude this. As a U of T grad, who has interviewed, hired, and worked with grads from both schools, I'd never make that type of claim. Good luck with your decision.
  25. Thank you for the advice. I do want to practice in Ottawa but would be open to any largeish city in Ontario, really. This is a really tough decision for me. When you say Queen's is the better school overall, I am aware that it has a better reputation, but do you think this could affect my employment opportunities in a tangible way? I know you don't have a crystal ball, but I would appreciate your perspective.
  26. Definitely go to Queen's for family law - family law clinic, family law courses, Nicholas Bala. Also go to Queen's because it's a better overall school. You should only go to UOttawa if you want to practice in Ottawa, not because you think it's a better city to live in for 3 years, imo
  27. Hello all! It's really down to the wire for me to make a decision on whether to attend Ottawa or Queen's this September. While I have been leaning more towards Ottawa because I enjoy the city and know I would enjoy practising there (I have lived in Ottawa before but am not from there), Queen's appeals to me because of its family law clinic and family law course offerings. I know the old adage is to go to the school where you want to practice, but both schools are in Ontario, which is ultimately where I want to stay. So should I prioritize living in a more ideal city (for me) or going to a school with a greater focus on family law? I am quite desperate for help and any advice is very appreciated.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?