All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Lol, I feel like taking real estate gives you a huge advantage though?
  3. @Hegdis @Ryn Thank you very much for your posts. I was getting discouraged after reading material I found on google (and this forum) about foreign qualified lawyers in Canada. Your posts suggest that I may have a chance if I work hard at it and make the right networks. That is some encouragement. Let me rephrase an earlier question then. What should be the minimum salary I should be expecting if I manage to find employment as a lawyer in Ontario/BC? I am just wondering if I would be able to sustain myself in Toronto at all. I will be in Toronto in August of this year for a few weeks. Any advice as to which places I may hit up for networking? Thanks again.
  4. Today
  5. I guess I am worrying about this too early, I still need to write and get my LSAT results, then I will know where I stand. That's true, I do notice people in the middle applying the most broadly.
  6. Link: https://www.scribd.com/doc/141766597/Getting-To-Maybe-How-to-Excel-on-Law-School-Exams Make a quick account and download the PDF of Getting to Maybe for free. The other book your best bet is to buy it on Amazon/Kindle for like $10. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
  7. Since money isn't a concern (my parents are happy to pay), I will just apply to all the schools I may want to attend (which is a lot haha). Yeah, Lakehead doesn't sound appealing to me either.
  8. Hey guys, thank your for all your responses. I didn't imagine I would get feedback and information near this useful when I made this account, to ask this question! I'm gonna start thinking about my cover letter now and will definitely get those books you recommended @jayoh,
  9. I'm so disappointed Charter Remedies isn't offered this coming year. It was my top choice by a lot.
  10. From what I've seen, grades have almost no impact on your chances at a clinic. Its all about your resume/experience and how well you interview. For example, the Sports Solutions Clinic positions almost always go to current/former athletes or those with demonstrated experience or interest in sports-related fields. I'm assuming you're an incoming 1L, so I'll also give you the advice I wish someone told me when I was in your position: Applications for clinics, PBSC and the majority of extra-curriculars are due in the first few weeks of 1L. Make sure you have a polished resume and cover letter locked and loaded before the end of August. When calls are made for applications, apply and forget about it. Naturally, there's going to be a lot of sizing up during the first couple of weeks of 1L. This is what happens when you put a bunch of highly-competitive overachievers together in one space. Don't discount yourself if you don't get a position and don't look up to the people who did get positions as if they're better than you in any way. You will learn to appreciate the role that chance plays in law school after writing your first set of exams. A professor at Western once said that 1L is like being shot out of a cannon. It will feel like there are a million moving pieces and there is a frequent tendency to get overwhelmed with stress/anxiety due to mistaken expectations and a poor understanding of the rhythm of 1L. In September, have fun and get to know your classmates. Do your work but realize that anything you do inside the classroom in this first month will have only a negligible effect on your final grades. The priority at this stage is settling into law school. In October, you will start feeling like you're getting into the rhythm of things. One of the biggest and most common mistakes, however, is letting yourself go into autopilot mode. You'll do your readings, make your notes, go to classes and everything will seem fine and well. However, next thing you know its November 25 and you're having a mental breakdown because you haven't done any exam prep. Instead, you should start seriously outlining after Thanksgiving weekend (mid-Octoberish). You should also start looking at old law school exams to get an idea of their mechanics and how they work. In November, the atmosphere in law school will slowly begin to shift towards exam preparation. The level of stress and anxiety in the halls will ratchet up and become palpable. While your classmates begin scrambling around trying to get ready for exams you will be calm and collected because you're already locked in. In mid-to-late November, your attention should start shifting towards doing practice exams and reviewing the answers. In December, you will almost certainly be ready to kill your exams. Don't underestimate the advantage of being well-rested and with manageable stress levels when writing exams. Even if for some reason you do mess up, remember that the majority of midterms (all but property) are less than 30% of your final grade. MOST IMPORTANT - Law school exams are a different beast. Doing all your readings, going to class, taking good notes and then sitting in the library for 8 hours a day reading over those notes will lead to you being a mediocre student, at the absolute best. Exams in law school are NOT like they were in undergrad. Law school exam-writing is a skill that must learn and develop as quickly as possible. Get your hands on a copy of a book that teaches you how to write a law school exam. The standard recommendation is Getting to Maybe but I like Law School Exams: A Guide to Better Grades, which I would read once before September and refer back to throughout the semester.
  11. Hi! I am currently one of the head supervisors in the clinic and incoming 3L. Grades do not matter, as 1L hiring takes place in September. Showing interest in access to justice for the main clinic is paramount; the Business and Sport clinic may be different. Make sure your resume and cover letter are solid (and interesting). TBH Students do the initial hiring for the 1L associate caseworkers as it is more a mentorship program for the 1Ls. Working for the clinic is more about fit and interest in genuinely making a difference in the community, as you will be working with marginalized portions of the London community. Let me know if you have any more questions, I would be happy to chat with you about the clinic or about Western Law generally.
  12. Charter Remedies with Johnston, International Law with Rock, Legal History with Backhouse
  13. Has anyone else whose aboriginal heard/not heard back from any other schools?
  14. As enrolment day approaches, I'm sure most of us have been browsing through potential small blocks as well as thematics. My question to current and former students is this: which first-year thematics have received the most positive feedback among you and your peers?
  15. When I hadn't heard from the Dual I decided to give them a call around 9am. She said I'd hear back soon. The same day, I got my rejection. So yeah, I did feel like I was just waiting for it. This was sometime in April can't remember.
  16. Yesterday
  17. I wrote at the Montecassino in North York. Despite it not being a hot summer day, the AC was BLASTED so bring a sweater. Everyone wrote in one massive ballroom with 2 people to a large table. The chairs were uncomfortable ballroom chairs but I'd expect that anywhere, even places like Humber College. The table had a god damn table cloth on it so writing in a newspaper type booklet on fabric with a pencil was not fun. The sign-in place was tight and if you got there early enough you were stuck listening to how people prepared for the test. There was no where to sit while waiting so a lot of people just sat on the floor in a line. However, the staff knew what they were doing. They were not unnecessarily loud when the clock was running. The main speaker was confident and loud. They kept you confined to a small area of the hotel during break. The bathrooms have about 4 stalls in them so a line during break was inevitable. There isn't much food places around if that's a factor. Parking is super easy and theres a huge lot right outside the main door. Getting there by subway is easy enough. You get off at Downsview Park station and its a short walk over (maybe 4 mins?) you walk straight down the road so no issues there. It would make sense for it to be a 40 minute ride for you if you live downtown because Downsview Park station is super "north" and almost one of the last stations on the line. The general vicinity is peaceful and you won't hear any traffic noises. They were doing construction around the hotel last year but it was paused for the day of the test I believe. If anything, just stay at the hotel the night before. It's cheap, you'll be at ease just having to wake up and come downstairs, and its massive so you're bound to find space to stay. I didn't stay there the night before the test but I have stayed there before, it was a great hotel stay imo. I personally wouldn't write downtown because the city gives me anxiety and there's always something going on it feels like. Hotel guests would also be a factor for me. Surely they'll be significantly more people staying at the downtown hotel vs. Montecassino. There's pros and cons for both.
  18. Hey everyone! I accepted my offer to live in grad house and I requested an earlier move-in date of around a week before classes actually start. However, I was told that unless I get approved for this earlier move-in date, I’ll have to wait until September 1st which would obviously not be ideal. Can anyone who has lived in grad house speak to how likely it is to be approved for an early move-in? And if so, how far in advance were you notified? Just trying to get some more information so I can start solidifying my plans! Thank you
  19. I don't know, but if they did, law school grades would still be more important. Also, if it came down to a tough decision between two applicants, I expect the interview would be more determinative.
  20. Do they look at your undergrad grades for 1st year positions?
  21. I can't speak on Western's clinics specifically, but demonstrating genuine interest, high grades, and likeable personality seem to be the key hiring factors. Grades play less of a role for upper year postings
  22. Hey Guys, I was just wondering if anyone could give some insight into what the law clinic's look for when they are doing their student hiring for the year? This is definitely an initiative I want to get involved with, but I heard that Western has a limited amount of spots for their clinics (as most schools do, but for some reason someone pointed this out as a negative about Western in particular).
  23. If I were working I’d just come in late. Not because I’d be going to the parade, but because I know transit is going to be royally screwed and commuting that morning will be terrible. As a summer student though, I’d just show up. Your time at the office is pretty limited in the first place. Taking random days off seems silly unless you really need to. I don’t think I took any time off my summer. It’s only 3 months.
  24. Back in the day I applied to every Ontario school except 1 and to two extra-provincial schools. Ended up getting only a few acceptances before my top choice (Osgoode) admitted me and I accepted, so I’m not sure how I would have fared in totality. My stats were competitive but not exceptional, so it was a bit of an unknown, thus my relatively broad application strategy. I think applying to all law schools in the country is a mistake. In Ontario, applying to all of them or nearly all of them is probably fine so long as you’re prepared to attend said schools. It’s best to analyze where you stand and go from there, but obviously the more borderline you are, the broader your applications will be. The less competitive you are, the more you can whittle down the list to the ones you have a chance at; vice-versa is true as well — the more competitive you are, the more you can focus on your top schools. People in the middle will likely end up submitting the most apps.
  25. I plan on doing my usual statistical analysis of the cycle (given the info on this forum and provided through the lawapplicants.ca site), at least with respect to Ontario schools, sometime in late July once the cycle has more or less concluded. I’ll let you all know if it appears to be more competitive this time around!
  26. If I recall you find out a few weeks before the program starts but I'm not certain.
  27. Yeah I agree with Hegdis that the traditional considerations of a foreign-educated lawyer establishing him- or herself in Canada likely does not apply to you. You have extensive experience as a lawyer in multiple jurisdictions and can (presumably) speak multiple languages. I think you will have far less trouble than those people who get a foreign law degree and are returning to Canada with nothing else. I would suggest you contact the law society of the province you’re looking to settle in. You should also take a look at the NCA and see how it applies to you and what it would take to have your foreign law degree recognized in Canada. Finally, know that you may qualify for certain alternative options to licensure. In Ontario, for example, there is an articling abridgement option for lawyers licensed in other common law jurisdictions who have legal experience. It may apply to you and thus you can avoid having to article if you qualify.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?