Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

McMaster grade conversion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 korla

korla
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

Hey,

This is mostly for MAC students. Does anyone know how to convert McMaster's 12 grading system to the 4 point system or percentages? If you do, what is a 10.2?

Thanks

#2 Captain Stubing

Captain Stubing
  • Members
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

Check the OLSAS chart:

Mac is in the number 7 column. I have never seen a Mac transcript, but according to OLSAS they convert the letter grade to a GPA 4 scale. Do you have letters on your transcript too?

To clarify, OLSAS does NOT look at your final CGPA (10.2 average). They will take each course's grade and convert it.

#3 korla

korla
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:54 PM

Yeah Mac students get letter grades on their transcipts too. Does anyone know how the gpa is calculated? I thought individual law schools converted it themselves or does OLSAS convert it into a 4 pt scale?

#4 slick_nick

slick_nick
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

A+ = 4.0
A = 3.9
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0

Convert each grade on your transcript as shown above. You should be around 3.7. Some schools use similar scales, but with slight differences. I believe U of A uses the same scale, but with A valued at 4.0 (The standard 4.0 scale, not this absurd A=3.9 OLSAS scale). All American schools, and I believe Dal in Canada, use the same scale except with A+ = 4.33 and A=4.0, and all +/- grades .33/.67 instead of .3/.7.

#5 korla

korla
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:03 AM

How about Queen's and Western? How do they calculate GPA's? I heard they use percentages, but on my transcript there are none. For example, an A+ is usually 90-100 percent, A = 85-89 etc. Therefore if I have an A will they use the lowest number ie. 85?

#6 slick_nick

slick_nick
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

As far as I know, all Ontario law schools use the OLSAS 4.0 scale. It doesn't matter what the schools undergraduate grading system is.

#7 Captain Stubing

Captain Stubing
  • Members
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:14 AM

korla. all ONT schools use the OLSAS conversion. But U of T will use percentages if they are there.

The chart is available in your OLSAS account or if you have no account yet, go to the OMSAS page, which uses the same scale in their FAQ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users