Morgan

WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE OR SELL PDFs

14 posts in this topic

This is just a general warning for the buy/sell forum. Do NOT advertise electronic copies of books or prep tests for sale. Anyone caught doing so will be banned from the forums. Also, please don't be cute and think that keeping it all in private messages is a way to get around it either.

Thanks.

2 people like this

The same as any other copyrighted material being posted without permission of the copyright owner.

Stuff in .pdf format is also being sold in printed form generally, and the people who make the money off those materials get kind of mad when their stuff is being passed around for free.

That anger gets directed at me, since I own the site where the stuff is being posted. And while I love threatening legal emails, I don't like them much if they are addressed to me.

So, that stuff stays off the site, LSAC and various publishers stay happy, I stay happy, site stays up.

That's about it.

2 people like this

That is correct. Profit is irrelevant in copyright matters, which for some reason, the general public doesn't seem to understand (I too, originally didn't).

Just want to chime in here.

Morgan and I are really happy with this board, it is something with we are proud of and we feel like it is a place where people can get some decent information about law school. The minute we start having to deal with legal issues is the minute this becomes more of a chore rather than something we enjoy doing.

So, although we encourage everyone to be as helpful as possible, please refrain from directing people to various illegal download sites for copywritten material, this will NOT be tolerated.

Please respect that,

Jason

1 person likes this

Would selling Kaplan LSAT vouchers that my department's society bought be allowed? Our president works for Kaplan and is encouraging us to sell a few vouchers to raise money for our society.

Also, please don't be cute and think that keeping it all in private messages is a way to get around it either.

Thanks.

Does this imply our private messages are only private to non-moderator members?

You should treat it that way.

To further this thought: Private messages can be reported by any users that are part of the conversation. That is, if you message someone saying "hey guess what I have x PDF'd, here is the link" they can report it to us and we see it and can take action on that basis.

On that note, I have some .doc's for sale... anyone interested let me know ;)

:roll:

P.S: Ignore what I just said 

Edited by Harvey_Birdman
1 person likes this

This is worth a bump. We've been seeing an uptick of (usually inadvertent) sharing of copyrighted materials on the site lately. Please be aware of what you're sharing  / requesting.

2 people like this

I buy lightly used LSAC Official Actual Books for the students I tutor, and you wouldn't believe how many people try to sell me $20 PDF files on Craigslist and Kijiji. There's so much fraud on those sites it's shameful.

And doubtless they acquired the PDFs on a free torrent site in the first place. Pure profit.  I'm sure lots of kids get conned in this way -- I just report it to Kijiji (which does nothing), point out the copyright violation and threaten to call the RCMP. Maybe scaring them will make them think twice? Doubtful.

But I get angry seeing people try to defraud bright-eyed 20-year-olds. Glad to see the mods are watching out for this.

On a related note, I bought an official real and true LSAC published Official Lsat test (I forget which #).. I bought the eBook version, it was like $5 on sale on Kobo ... I figured I'd just convert the ebook to a PDF and print it so I'd have a hard copy . WOW nope, huge pain in the ass and still didn't turn out right at all, printed super wonky. Ended up just buying the hard copy. Fml ...

Just want to chime in here.

Morgan and I are really happy with this board, it is something with we are proud of and we feel like it is a place where people can get some decent information about law school. The minute we start having to deal with legal issues is the minute this becomes more of a chore rather than something we enjoy doing.

So, although we encourage everyone to be as helpful as possible, please refrain from directing people to various illegal download sites for copywritten material, this will NOT be tolerated.

Please respect that,

Jason

And I'm not sure who is behind these boards now that it is 2017, but whoever it is.... Thank you. They have been incredibly useful. Actually they've been my biggest resource in school research.. Most everything else out there is all PR nonsense put out by the schools themselves. So THANK YOU to all the Mods and everyone.