Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

WARNING: DO NOT PURCHASE OR SELL PDFs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan
  • Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

This is just a general warning for the buy/sell forum. Do NOT advertise electronic copies of books or prep tests for sale. Anyone caught doing so will be banned from the forums. Also, please don't be cute and think that keeping it all in private messages is a way to get around it either.

Thanks.
  • GrainOfSalt likes this

#2 pencil-skirt

pencil-skirt
  • Members
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

Why are .pdfs so illegal? What if people just want to email .pdfs (e.g. a trade) and not profit?

#3 Morgan

Morgan
  • Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:16 PM

The same as any other copyrighted material being posted without permission of the copyright owner.

Stuff in .pdf format is also being sold in printed form generally, and the people who make the money off those materials get kind of mad when their stuff is being passed around for free.

That anger gets directed at me, since I own the site where the stuff is being posted. And while I love threatening legal emails, I don't like them much if they are addressed to me.

So, that stuff stays off the site, LSAC and various publishers stay happy, I stay happy, site stays up.

That's about it.
  • efi36 and Beral01 like this

#4 Captain Stubing

Captain Stubing
  • Members
  • 2744 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

That is correct. Profit is irrelevant in copyright matters, which for some reason, the general public doesn't seem to understand (I too, originally didn't).

#5 corporatejay

corporatejay
  • Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationUofA Law

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

Just want to chime in here.

Morgan and I are really happy with this board, it is something with we are proud of and we feel like it is a place where people can get some decent information about law school. The minute we start having to deal with legal issues is the minute this becomes more of a chore rather than something we enjoy doing.

So, although we encourage everyone to be as helpful as possible, please refrain from directing people to various illegal download sites for copywritten material, this will NOT be tolerated.

Please respect that,

Jason

#6 james09

james09
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

I agree with Jason, it is not good for the author of the PDF.

#7 Paul Robinette

Paul Robinette
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Would selling Kaplan LSAT vouchers that my department's society bought be allowed? Our president works for Kaplan and is encouraging us to sell a few vouchers to raise money for our society.

#8 brokebloke

brokebloke
  • Members
  • 1229 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Also, please don't be cute and think that keeping it all in private messages is a way to get around it either.

Thanks.

Does this imply our private messages are only private to non-moderator members?

#9 almostnot

almostnot
  • Moderators
  • 5842 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Does this imply our private messages are only private to non-moderator members?

You should treat it that way.

#10 Morgan

Morgan
  • Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

You should treat it that way.

To further this thought: Private messages can be reported by any users that are part of the conversation. That is, if you message someone saying "hey guess what I have x PDF'd, here is the link" they can report it to us and we see it and can take action on that basis.

#11 Harvey_Birdman

Harvey_Birdman
  • Members
  • 172 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

On that note, I have some .doc's for sale... anyone interested let me know ;)

:roll:

P.S: Ignore what I just said 

Edited by Harvey_Birdman, 23 January 2013 - 10:59 PM.

• Pyke likes this

#12 Hegdis

Hegdis
  • Moderators
  • 7182 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

This is worth a bump. We've been seeing an uptick of (usually inadvertent) sharing of copyrighted materials on the site lately. Please be aware of what you're sharing  / requesting.

• AlmostThere and yeezy like this

#13 overleveraged

overleveraged
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

I buy lightly used LSAC Official Actual Books for the students I tutor, and you wouldn't believe how many people try to sell me $20 PDF files on Craigslist and Kijiji. There's so much fraud on those sites it's shameful.

And doubtless they acquired the PDFs on a free torrent site in the first place. Pure profit.  I'm sure lots of kids get conned in this way -- I just report it to Kijiji (which does nothing), point out the copyright violation and threaten to call the RCMP. Maybe scaring them will make them think twice? Doubtful.

But I get angry seeing people try to defraud bright-eyed 20-year-olds. Glad to see the mods are watching out for this.