Sign in to follow this  
JamesCL

Paralegal path

New here, hope everyone is well.

Been contemplating a new career path, and just looking for some experienced opinions.

1. Seneca vs private school like herzing?

2. Does one acquire enough practical knowledge to open up their own paralegal business shortly after obtaining a license?

3. Is there a high demand for paralegals, pending you have a good marketing, should it be fairly good business venture?

4.  What are good niche's to get into, traffic, etc?  Or is it good to focus on a few different niches to practice?

Excuse my ignorance, but law sector is totally foreign to me and I'd like to get as much insider info as possible.

Thanks in advance,

James

I have practically no paralegal experience, but i will try my best to tackle a few of these

1. Seneca vs private school like herzing? I am in the US so i dont know

2. Does one acquire enough practical knowledge to open up their own paralegal business shortly after obtaining a license?  This is a tough question because no one wants to hire someone who is going to be a competitor later on, so many aspiring entrepreneurs have no choice but to start a practice from the start. 

3. Is there a high demand for paralegals, pending you have a good marketing, should it be fairly good business venture?  Again, im in the US, but in the US the legal market is finally predicted to grow at a fair rate.

4.  What are good niche's to get into, traffic, etc?  Or is it good to focus on a few different niches to practice?  You should start with the niche that you are most comfortable with, so long as it is related to your long term goals.  You can always branch out later once you are sure you can handle the workload.  This is my 2 cents from my time studying in my mba program

Great reply, thanks for your time.

What kind of work do you do in the states? 

On 08/07/2018 at 3:34 PM, accjohn1990 said:

I work as a tutor and a paralegal assistant.  As a tutor I help community members with basic education as they try to gain their high school equivalency.  My time as a paralegal assistant is spent drafting documents such as chapter agreements and cash on hand policies  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Exactly. I keep having to remind myself that the index score is moderately reliable at best, and highly speculative at worst.  Does u of a wait till they receive fall grades before extending an offer? Because if that’s the case then I don’t think I’ll receive one (if I do) until January at the earliest.  Stqust, As for your GPA, that’s awesome! I think you’ll be alright based on the applicant profile 
    • I sympathize with you, this situation sucks and is becoming increasingly common as we have more graduates from more schools. If I were in your position I would look at the current year as being paid in experience but looking for something else for next year. I mean, you are probably better off than if you had to do the LPP. On the other hand, I wouldn't personally want to stay with a firm that under-paid me during articling just because they could.  It sounds like you really shot yourself in the foot by being over-eager to find any job and they are taking advantage of you a bit. Why didn't you discuss salary before a firm commitment? But I would want to know a lot more before giving any substantial advice, like what were your credentials like? Were you a top student with good extra-curricular's? What are your finances like? 
    • I went to Osgoode and worked in the admissions department, so I'll give you my thoughts. Based on numbers alone, you have no chance. The people who get into Osgoode with numbers in your range are anomalies and should not be taken as examples (probably less than 10 students out of a class of 290, and most of them were mature students with significant work experience). I say throw in an application to Osgoode but do not hedge your bets on it. Invest your time and energy at other schools like Windsor, that do have a truly holistic process and care more about your personal circumstances and extracurriculars. Osgoode receives 2500+ applications for 290 spots, and there will be people applying with better stats than yours who have similar experiences. I scanned your experiences and it's rather common among the Osgoode student body; this is not to take away from it but to say that it may not be as unique as you think. There were students in my class who came from poverty, who are immigrants, who are racialized minorities, who are LGBTQ, who had family and personal tragedies, who can speak multiple languages (very diverse class), who had significant work and volunteer experiences, etc. Osgoode is one of the most diverse law schools in Canada (along with Windsor and Ottawa). I would also be careful about trying to get an acceptance through a "pity parade" of sorts. Ultimately, Osgoode does want to accept a class of very accomplished individuals, who would benefit the legal profession and bring respect and recognition to the school. Don't be misled by students getting in with lower stats - most of them were mature applicants with 5+ years of work experience under their belt. The average cGPA was a 3.67 and average LSAT score a 162 for the last couple of rounds. To put it into perspective, I had a 160+ LSAT score and 3.7+ GPA and fell into at least four of the "categories" you had listed under your experiences. Good luck and I think you have a shot at other law schools, but not really Osgoode unless you get extremely lucky.  Edit: Reference letters don't make or break an application (unless it's extremely negative). Profreader mentioned this in another thread, but you can't know how strong a reference letter is if you have not read them. Now if you have read them, then it's also subjective based on the person reading the letter. Most law school applicants have good/strong letters in general.