4 minutes ago, Pyke said:

LSUC wins. TWU loses.

=)

Decision immediately is invalidated as LSUC no longer exists :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, rglasgow said:

Decision immediately is invalidated as LSUC no longer exists :rolleyes:

It's a pet peeve of mine that my law society doesn't seem to be all that concerned about the fact that there is no legislation about the "Law Society of Ontario".

edit: Apparently Ontario updated the law society act since I last looked. 

Edited by Pyke
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Pyke said:

It's a pet peeve of mine that my law society doesn't seem to be all that concerned about the fact that there is no legislation about the "Law Society of Ontario".

I thought there was now after that bill by the Liberals?

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Thanks 1

Put the numerous new topics into one topic :)

I have also moved this from Off Topic as it is a discussion of caselaw. 

7 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I thought there was now after that bill by the Liberals?

Yep, the Law Society Act was amended by the budget bill. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am pleased personally with the outcome here, but I think I'm more pleased to see some discussion and clarification of "Charter values" in the concurring decisions and dissent.

Edited by rziegler
  • Like 2

I don't want to debate the result, since that happened a lot, I just want to say that I feel vindicated that at least two justices saw things the way I saw them since I know it wasn't the popular viewpoint. 

• Like 9

Given that the SCC can manage to put create some really surprising decisions from fairly clear areas of law to reach their preferred result, this one was pretty much expected. The "reasonableness" standard and the amount of balancing of high level, somewhat abstract, concepts in CONS law, made it pretty easy for them to finangle the outcome. 

Doesn't TWU still have the option to open the school and seek alternative paths of accreditation from the respective law societies for individual graduates? 

Cote is quickly becoming my favourite Justice. She was right in Groia and she is right in TWU.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, kiamia said:

Given that the SCC can manage to put create some really surprising decisions from fairly clear areas of law to reach their preferred result, this one was pretty much expected. The "reasonableness" standard and the amount of balancing of high level, somewhat abstract, concepts in CONS law, made it pretty easy for them to finangle the outcome. 

Doesn't TWU still have the option to open the school and seek alternative paths of accreditation from the respective law societies for individual graduates? 

Actually, the really interesting thing about the TWU decisions is the level of disagreement on the standard of review and the application of the Dore analysis (or Dunsmuir, if you're like Rowe and think that the Charter is not engaged).

I hope the Bell v. CRTC appeal resolves this shitshow.

I have a really hard time with settling issues relating to the balancing of rights through a public referendum.  It wasn't right when California did it with gay marriage, and it wasn't right when the LSBC did it with gay marriage.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, kiamia said:

I’m somewhat surprised but glad that they subjected a claim of religious freedom to strict scrutiny. I was worried that they might not. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Adrian said:

I don't want to debate the result, since that happened a lot, I just want to say that I feel vindicated that at least two justices saw things the way I saw them since I know it wasn't the popular viewpoint. 

It’s almost worth going back and finding quotes to say I told you so. I won’t bother but I also took a lot of heat on here for sharing the same view.

Edited by TrialPrep
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TrialPrep said:

It’s almost worth going back and finding quotes to say I told you so. I won’t bother but I also took a lot of heat on here for sharing the same view.

But who cares, lol? It's a dissent - they/you lost! No one arguing for the opposite point of view said it had to be a unanimous decision. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, providence said:

But who cares, lol? It's a dissent - they/you lost! No one arguing for the opposite point of view said it had to be a unanimous decision. 

Oh I got confused and misread adrian’s post. I was siding with the majority here. But either way lol who cares is right.