Jump to content
Lawtender33

Grads: Email Account

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Lawtender33 said:

Does anyone know if / when we will lose access to our Osgoode email account? 

 

Good question. You might want to email the school. Maybe Osgoode IT is a good place to ask. I searched briefly and there’s nothing on Oz’s website about alumni email. 

My sense is that it’ll remain active for a while, if you’re just worried about making sure you get your mail for now. Best to check though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawtender33 said:

Does anyone know if / when we will lose access to our Osgoode email account? 

 

I wonder the same...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that you lose direct access, but they never delete the accounts themselves, so if you want to make sure you continue to get any mail that comes to that address, just set up a forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback! I'll contact IT tomorrow and ask. Hopefully they remain active for a little while since I have a million folders I'll have to go through to forward things I want to keep to my normal account. 

I'll keep you all posted on what they say 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lawtender33 said:

Thanks for the feedback! I'll contact IT tomorrow and ask. Hopefully they remain active for a little while since I have a million folders I'll have to go through to forward things I want to keep to my normal account. 

I'll keep you all posted on what they say 

Thank you! :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I just spoke with IT who could not give me a specific timeline for when we'll lose access to our accounts. They said typically York University provides grads with around a year of access to their accounts post-graduation. However, for Osgoode, it could be as little as a few months (though they don't know exactly).

The person I spoke with, as well as the supervisor advised me that to be on the safe side I should get everything that I would like to keep out of my account (and provide anyone sending emails to that account with an updated address) by end of summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lawtender33 said:

Update: I just spoke with IT who could not give me a specific timeline for when we'll lose access to our accounts. They said typically York University provides grads with around a year of access to their accounts post-graduation. However, for Osgoode, it could be as little as a few months (though they don't know exactly).

The person I spoke with, as well as the supervisor advised me that to be on the safe side I should get everything that I would like to keep out of my account (and provide anyone sending emails to that account with an updated address) by end of summer. 

Terrible news. I had hoped to keep the account as my main email address and saved a lot on it. Anyone know how to transfer emails and folders onto gmail or a usb drive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lawtender33 said:

Update: I just spoke with IT who could not give me a specific timeline for when we'll lose access to our accounts. They said typically York University provides grads with around a year of access to their accounts post-graduation. However, for Osgoode, it could be as little as a few months (though they don't know exactly).

The person I spoke with, as well as the supervisor advised me that to be on the safe side I should get everything that I would like to keep out of my account (and provide anyone sending emails to that account with an updated address) by end of summer. 

I think York is being stupid. Since they want alumni to have good memories and donate in future etc., why not have a system set up to automatically offer to migrate the contents of the account to an alumni e-mail account (I'm assuming there are reasons not to keep the student account active under the same address). I know people who were pissed off by e.g. York not notifying them for years they had books signed out, then telling them far too late for them to find it, hey, pay $X hundred now or don't get your degree. Not objecting to collecting library fines, but the manner of doing so matters, if you want to have good alumni memories and willingness to donate in future. Especially for those affected by the strike, shouldn't they be bending over backwards to provide at least some semblance of helpfulness on your way out the door?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, epeeist said:

I think York is being stupid. Since they want alumni to have good memories and donate in future etc., why not have a system set up to automatically offer to migrate the contents of the account to an alumni e-mail account (I'm assuming there are reasons not to keep the student account active under the same address). I know people who were pissed off by e.g. York not notifying them for years they had books signed out, then telling them far too late for them to find it, hey, pay $X hundred now or don't get your degree. Not objecting to collecting library fines, but the manner of doing so matters, if you want to have good alumni memories and willingness to donate in future. Especially for those affected by the strike, shouldn't they be bending over backwards to provide at least some semblance of helpfulness on your way out the door?

It is pretty stupid. I have attended 3 universities, all of which kept my student account active (as an alumni account). My UofT one is still going, 5+ years after I graduated.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, thegoodlaw said:

It is pretty stupid. I have attended 3 universities, all of which kept my student account active (as an alumni account). My UofT one is still going, 5+ years after I graduated.

I agree. My undergrad email is still working as well. I imagine it will keep working in perpetuity, as I’ve heard that’s what the policy is at my old school. 

@Lawtender33 did you talk to York IT or Osgoode IT? Osgoode has their own people handling tech and so I wonder who you heard from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ryn said:

I agree. My undergrad email is still working as well. I imagine it will keep working in perpetuity, as I’ve heard that’s what the policy is at my old school. 

@Lawtender33 did you talk to York IT or Osgoode IT? Osgoode has their own people handling tech and so I wonder who you heard from. 

@Ryn I spoke with Osgoode IT (both a help desk employee and the supervisor). Looks like @NoArticling2018 and I got two different answers (not surprising lol). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lawtender33 said:

@Ryn I spoke with Osgoode IT (both a help desk employee and the supervisor). Looks like @NoArticling2018 and I got two different answers (not surprising lol). 

Yikeeeeeees. The girl I spoke with (sounded like an Asian woman since she had the accent) said she has dealt with Osgoode alumni's email accounts that were from the 2000s and they were still active. Oh man, I need confirmation so I can start backing up all my emails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh so typical Osgoode. It might make sense to reach out to Student Services and see what they say. Something tells me they’re likely to be the ones deciding this issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • Ambit aren't you a 0L? Let's not speak with such confidence when you have literally zero exposure to the recruiting procedure from either side of the fence.
    • Hey OP, I would highly recommend just fool proofing the LG section using the 7Sage method. It is literally the best, IMO. Also, contrary to what has already been said, I highly recommend not doing LG sections from tests 1-30. They are very, very different from what you will encounter on test day! Believe me when I say that! After having mastered the games from 52 - 80s, I went back to try the LG sections from PTs 1-30 and they were very hard and very different and absolutely nothing like many of the recent games. Sometimes, those games also have like 2-3 misc. games (which you can't foolproof since they are always different). I would recommend just using PTs 52 - to the latest ones (80 something now) and fool proof those. By the end, you will be very prepared to handle virtually all games come your way test day. Hope that helps     ALSO: I think after fool proofing approximately 10 LG sections, you will start to approach the LG section almost unconsciously and on automatic, which is nice  
    • Graduation awards, as far as I know, have gone out. The rest I am not sure. Nevermind, I thought you meant graduation bursaries. So I actually don't know the answer to your question at all, haha
    • She provides that a decision having an unjustified and disproportionate impact (“that seriously infringes”, in your words) on a Charter right will always be unreasonable, but she doesn’t then say the LSBC’s decision was unjustified and disproportionate (or seriously infringed). She instead meets the majority and dissent halfway by reasoning that while the decision’s negative impact “could not be characterized as minor”, its benefits were nonetheless proportionate, rendering the decision reasonable. "With respect" followed by brow beating. They straight up called out McLachlin and Karakatsanis by saying they were hypocrites, citing extra-judicial commentary. Unbecoming to say the least.   The denial of TWU’s proposed law school with the mandatory covenant is itself good: (i) The covenant likely runs afoul of provincial human rights legislation; (ii) the covenant itself is unnecessary and ridiculous, (not convinced by the concurring or dissenting reasons to the contrary); and (iii) a ruling that TWU Law with the Covenant could go ahead would, however reasoned, reflect poorly on the legal profession because much of the general public wouldn’t appreciate the rationale behind such a decision. But the reasoning of this case, as you allude to, leaves much to be desired. I agree with Cote and Brown when they say the majority’s analysis of the LPA is wrong. They hit the nail on the head when they said that the scope of the LSBC’s statutory authority defines how it carries out its public interest mandate, and not the other way around. The LPA’s provisions and mandate relate to matters relevant to the governance of the legal profession and its constituent parts, and, in that way, they empower the LSBC to “control the doorway to the profession, not to decide who knocks on the door.” Equal access to the legal profession and diversity in the legal profession are, indeed, distinct from the duty to ensure competent practice and the majority decision does leave you wondering if things like tuition fees are also fair game (though I think bursaries, scholarships, loans, etc. weaken the dissent’s analogy). Beyond that and maybe their comments on the problems with weighing Charter rights and Charter values, the dissent goes off course and I prefer the concurring reasons. Brown and Cote’s diversity argument is borderline disingenuous. It stems from a conflation of “religious law schools” and “religious law schools with unnecessarily discriminatory covenants”. smh when they used the idea of religion being about “religious relationships” and when they said qualities that go to a person’s self-identity are at stake for TWU community members. On that note, I’m surprised McLachlin went as far as to say the LSBC’s decision deprives TWU community members of the ability to express their beliefs in institutional form and from associating in the manner they believe their faith requires. That is quite a stretch. I also think the dissent are off on the “reasonableness” piece when they say the Benchers abdicated their duty. I see no issue in conducting the reasonableness analysis when an elected administrative body carefully considers a proposition (or “deliberates”), determines it’s leaning one way on that proposition but thinks either of two solutions is reasonable, then puts that proposition to a referendum (though the Benchers likely knew what the outcome of the referendum would be, and also didn’t want to deal with the fallout of approving TWU Law with the covenant).
    • I would mention it for sure, my partner moved to Canada from Iran around 5 years ago as well and deinfltey the religious police.will be picky about stuff like that  Like.providence mentioned relate it back to law and keep it effiencnt there isn't that much space so show how that motivated you to be practice  law, she mentioned a few great ways of.how to do that, be honest and make.it personal because it will show and reflect positively In terms of gpa you have a OK cgpa ( just make.sure this the olsas cgpa) and  a very good  l2 and b3, for osgoode your cgpa and lower end lsat will not make you a strong applicant per say ( I think 2016 median cgpa was 3.67 and median lsat 162)and for u of t your b3 is competitive BUT your lsat will be a serious problem here because their median is 166, BUT for both schools they have "holistic" approaches so sometimes candidate get in who don't necceqaily meet the medians but they have other aspects or qualities that would be an asset to the incoming class and also prove their aptitude for law and plus your kinda close to the medians for osgoode so I woudlny be shocked u of t i think your lsat is hurting you a lot though and you would need that up significantly to go there  Ottawa is also a cgpa school but your lsat will be good I think, but your cgpa is not bad at all so maybe? I honestly don't know much about them I've never seen class stats for them I think western and queens would be solid schools to apply to as well, your l2 is above their last posted class median yoir cgpa is right at their class median, plus your lsat is closer to their class median of 161 albeit still a bit below  I would also apply to Windsor as well  they like personal statements tailored to social justice btw  If your lsat hit 166 or higher I think you have a strong shot at u of t, 164 or higher a strong shot at Osgoode ), western and queens 161 or higher  strong shot too especially since your b2/l2 beats the median for both and your cgpa beats the median for last year's class for cgpa for queens, but that guarantees nothing this whole admission process is a little random somtieme, deinfltey apply and I'm pretty confident you get in somewhere, stenghrn your LOT and personal statement and ec list as much as possible, and if you can try to get higher on the lsat I would.personally do so   Good luck!    
×