JuneBar2018

June Bar 2018 -- How'd it go?

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone want to share their experience of the June 2018 bar sitting? 

Personally, I had to guess (random bubbling of answers) about 30 questions (combined) over both 3.5 hour sessions due to time constraint. 

The rest of the questions I answered, though, I felt confident about. 

Does anyone have an idea what percentage likely constitutes a pass? I reasonably believe I got 70% + on the exam. 

I heard the Quebec bar pass rate was 63% last sitting (anecdotally). 

Edited by JuneBar2018

Posted (edited)

I found the first half of the exam was terrible. Civil procedure and I are not friends. The index I purchased was a bit useless for that section, and the 5 practice tests that I completed had questions which were a joke compared to what the actual exam looks like. I am very confident with how the second half of the exam went and am certain I scored well. I honestly feel like things could go either way for me given how terribly part 1 went. 

Does anyone know if we can fail a section and still pass the exam? I've heard mixed opinions on this. 

Edit: The LSO site says that the passing mark is based on a cumulative score on the exam (so not individualized sections). 

Edited by Lawtender33
  • Like 1

Having written the exam 2 years ago, it's not uncommon to feel the first half was a shitshow compared to the 2nd, largely because by the time the 2nd half starts you're more in the groove.  

To the best of my knowledge LSO does not release statistics on what a passing grade is. I believe it varies year to year depending on the scores but I could be wrong. 

Make sure you take time to read Professional Responsibility a couple of times again for the Solicitor (including the Bylaws). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GOT123 said:

Having written the exam 2 years ago, it's not uncommon to feel the first half was a shitshow compared to the 2nd, largely because by the time the 2nd half starts you're more in the groove.  

To the best of my knowledge LSO does not release statistics on what a passing grade is. I believe it varies year to year depending on the scores but I could be wrong. 

Make sure you take time to read Professional Responsibility a couple of times again for the Solicitor (including the Bylaws). 

Thank you for the advice! I'm glad to know that I"m not alone in feeling like the first half was terrible.I am definitely planning on re-reading the bylaws and PR again. I thought I was pretty proficient with the PR rules but during the exam I noticed quite a few PR questions where the book didn't give a straightforward answer (more like an "it actually depends on x,y,z") but unfortunately the options in A-D did not reflect this and the fact scenario didn't help either .... *sigh*. 

1 hour ago, Lawtender33 said:

Thank you for the advice! I'm glad to know that I"m not alone in feeling like the first half was terrible.I am definitely planning on re-reading the bylaws and PR again. I thought I was pretty proficient with the PR rules but during the exam I noticed quite a few PR questions where the book didn't give a straightforward answer (more like an "it actually depends on x,y,z") but unfortunately the options in A-D did not reflect this and the fact scenario didn't help either .... *sigh*. 

What makes you think Part 1 went terribly? Time (having to guess answers) or general uncertainty about answers? For me, it was timing 

Ah the good thing about multiple choice. You read that someone guessed 30 questions, freak out , and then remember there's 240 in total. 

YMMV, but I found indices and timetable very useful BUT I had much  bigger questions to the LSO that apparently the folks drafting the exam didn't really make friends with the folks who wrote the prep material and constantly used off putting synonyms (some synonym for bail or prelim I can't even Google now) questions (natural justice in ADR ) and things that I couldn't even locate in the materials having read them thee times (identifying the accused ) 

1 hour ago, CuriousJD said:

Ah the good thing about multiple choice. You read that someone guessed 30 questions, freak out , and then remember there's 240 in total. 

Not sure I know what you mean by this 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Lawtender33 said:

I found the first half of the exam was terrible. Civil procedure and I are not friends. The index I purchased was a bit useless for that section, and the 5 practice tests that I completed had questions which were a joke compared to what the actual exam looks like. I am very confident with how the second half of the exam went and am certain I scored well. I honestly feel like things could go either way for me given how terribly part 1 went. 

I felt the exact same way. Some of my friends felt Civ Pro was their strongest section going in and felt like shit about the first part of their exam. The second part seemed too easy, and I had about 10 minutes to spare.

I found a lot of PR questions were difficult to find in the materials. I also thought public law was weird, and despite knowing that section quite well I was often unsure of where to look in the materials.

Edited by roxeter
Spelling
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, JuneBar2018 said:

What makes you think Part 1 went terribly? Time (having to guess answers) or general uncertainty about answers? For me, it was timing 

I'm not sure if it was nerves, or if my indices sucked, but I had a hard time locating the answers to a lot of questions in Part 1. Timing was an issue for me too. I screwed up my scantron and got my questions out of order, so had to spend time trying to fix all of my mistakes. Quite a few of the professional responsibility questions were either not in the book, and if they were, the text was not helpful and required guessing anyway. For example, "What would you do first (a) X, (b) Y, (c) Z and the answer in the book is "you should do all of these things" (no particular order suggested) leaving me to choose an answer based on my gut. 

I know criminal law very well so I didn't experience any of the issues that others did with that section and knew most of the answers off the top of my head, but did notice that they used very misleading or vague language - and if I didn't already know the answer, or knew any alternative language to help with a search in the index, I would have had to guess. THANK GOD AT LEAST I HAD THAT GOING FOR ME ... lol. 

The admin law section was a cluster fuck. I'm also very comfortable with public law and found the questions really weird. 

Ugh, it's over now and I guess whatever is meant to happen will happen. Not looking forward to solicitors, though having wrote this exam I'm going to have to make sure to re-read all of that PR stuff again. :(

23 hours ago, Lawtender33 said:

I'm not sure if it was nerves, or if my indices sucked, but I had a hard time locating the answers to a lot of questions in Part 1. Timing was an issue for me too. I screwed up my scantron and got my questions out of order, so had to spend time trying to fix all of my mistakes. Quite a few of the professional responsibility questions were either not in the book, and if they were, the text was not helpful and required guessing anyway. For example, "What would you do first (a) X, (b) Y, (c) Z and the answer in the book is "you should do all of these things" (no particular order suggested) leaving me to choose an answer based on my gut. 

I know criminal law very well so I didn't experience any of the issues that others did with that section and knew most of the answers off the top of my head, but did notice that they used very misleading or vague language - and if I didn't already know the answer, or knew any alternative language to help with a search in the index, I would have had to guess. THANK GOD AT LEAST I HAD THAT GOING FOR ME ... lol. 

The admin law section was a cluster fuck. I'm also very comfortable with public law and found the questions really weird. 

Ugh, it's over now and I guess whatever is meant to happen will happen. Not looking forward to solicitors, though having wrote this exam I'm going to have to make sure to re-read all of that PR stuff again. :(

I feel as if you and I had very similar experiences. I had an incredibly difficult time finding answers during the Civ Lit portion and because of this, I fell behind. If I were being honest with myself, I probably took an educated guess on half of the first part (not even attempting to look things up). I would say I looked up (successfully) 40% of the answers and took educated guesses on the rest, and maybe randomly bubbled 10 answers.

I felt the second part went a lot better, with maybe 60-70% + successful look-ups and the rest educated guessing, with only 5 questions being randomly bubbled.

Still though, I don't feel very good about the whole thing. I wonder if I should have spent more time looking things up and then randomly bubbling. I don't feel like its normal to not have looked up things as much as I did.

Almost all discussion with others about how you did and mistakes you made is just going to make you miserable, just like discussing law school exams immediately afterwards was not a good idea. If you passed, you'll have been more stressed and worried for nothing. If you failed, you'll still have been stressed and worried to no purpose, because stress and worry isn't a time machine.

While I hope not to meet any of you in this context, I'm a volunteer tutor through LSO for those who've failed the exam and are rewriting. If one failed, having written down - in an email to yourself say - what you think the issues were while your memory of the exam is still fresh (time management, particular subjects, whatever) can be helpful if you did fail and have to rewrite. But why would you engage in a misery-fest with others? Unless you find it cathartic in some way.

• Like 1

I found civil pro quite difficult and had to guess a lot. Public was the same. Crim and family, had straight-fwd questions that if you had more time you could have found the answers. What I don't understand is how a 1min and 45 seconds is sufficient to locate the answers even if you have read all the material. The independent questions were as long as the case based questions. They say it's not a memorization type of exam but I felt it was. 

Did anyone buy indexes- and found they weren't helpful at all? 

Anyone having trouble getting through the business section of the solicitor's material?