Jump to content
Jibbums

Bad cGPA, good last 2

Recommended Posts

I'm looking to apply to law school after I take my lsat this year, but I'm a bit concerned about GPA. I really fucked up in my first few years (mental health reasons, dealt with now) but pulled it together in the last two. Long story short, cGPA 3.38, last two 3.77 (3.92 in the last year). Applying to last/best two years schools, do I have a shot? If not, what can I do about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would try to explain the circumstances in your ps, show how you overcame it eventually and did really well proving that you are capable of handling the rigor of law school 

I think you'l have a shot depending on your lsat, your l2/b2 are competitive for a few schools and you just gotta lock in the lsat and  hopefully score at least 160 and of course higher the better 

But scroll through the admission threads, you'l see people with similar stats getting in 

The caveat is law school admissions are not necessarily predictable , just try your best on the lsat and lock it in and write your personal statement carefully with detailed attention and try to find really good letters of recommendation, and hope for the best!

Good luck 

Edited by Timmies123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the fast response. Just broadly,what schools would you suggest? I've been looking at Dal and USask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're in a great position. Ottawa and York are the cGPA schools in Ontario, but even they are probably on the table if you write a convincing PS. Hit a 160+ on the LSAT and you'll 100% get in somewhere, hit a 165+ and you'll probably get in everywhere other than UofT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say dal, queens, western, u of Calgary, u of sask ( your cgpa is along their average admitter gpa albeit you mite not have the strong sask connection) and any of the other schools that state they look at l2 specifically  would be your strongest chances and with a 160 plus if you don' get into any I would be surprised , 

And as for the other schools I would Def apply  but it would begin to depend how much you can spend, if you can spend tho I would apply everywhere I could, the more places you apply the better your odds of getting in somewhere 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

100% have a good shot with a decent LSAT. Also likely have a solid access/discretionary claim

Edited by DJ89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jibbums said:

I'm looking to apply to law school after I take my lsat this year, but I'm a bit concerned about GPA. I really fucked up in my first few years (mental health reasons, dealt with now) but pulled it together in the last two. Long story short, cGPA 3.38, last two 3.77 (3.92 in the last year). Applying to last/best two years schools, do I have a shot? If not, what can I do about it?

Apply broadly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timmies123 said:

I would say dal, queens, western, u of Calgary, u of sask ( your cgpa is along their average admitter gpa albeit you mite not have the strong sask connection) and any of the other schools that state they look at l2 specifically  would be your strongest chances and with a 160 plus if you don' get into any I would be surprised , 

And as for the other schools I would Def apply  but it would begin to depend how much you can spend, if you can spend tho I would apply everywhere I could, the more places you apply the better your odds of getting in somewhere 

 

Also U of A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had a 3.38/3.65/164 LSAT when I was accepted (I just finished my fourth year so it ended up being higher) and I got into Ottawa, Dalhousie, Western, and Windsor this cycle. Didn't hear from Osgoode or Queens cause I firm accepted Western before anything came so I may or may not have gotten in.

A 3.38 really isn't that poor, people with much lower cGPAs get in all the time. Just focus on the LSAT and take some of the 'chances' people give you with a grain of salt. People told me I had no problem at Western and wouldn't hear from Ottawa, yet I heard from Ottawa almost 2 months before Western.

I had no access claims and the only reference to my grades in my personal statement was essentially pointing out that I had a pretty stable upward trend.

Edited by student3416

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big issue was a depressive episode in years two and three. Less than full course loads and bad grades, I was a mess. So I pulled myself together, took an extra year, graduating this may with honours. I hope that's a pretty strong upward trend.

Thanks again for all the replies. I felt like giving up with that cGPA and the bad years. It's really reassuring to hear I have a shot

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jibbums said:

My big issue was a depressive episode in years two and three. Less than full course loads and bad grades, I was a mess. So I pulled myself together, took an extra year, graduating this may with honours. I hope that's a pretty strong upward trend.

Thanks again for all the replies. I felt like giving up with that cGPA and the bad years. It's really reassuring to hear I have a shot

If it makes you feel better, I had a worse cGPA and L2. I got in somewhere. I do better now than I ever did in undergrad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jibbums said:

My big issue was a depressive episode in years two and three. Less than full course loads and bad grades, I was a mess. So I pulled myself together, took an extra year, graduating this may with honours. I hope that's a pretty strong upward trend.

Thanks again for all the replies. I felt like giving up with that cGPA and the bad years. It's really reassuring to hear I have a shot

your GPA is weak but not bad

Get an 160+ LSAT and you will have a chance with many schools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×