So i’m just curious...

In most law schools, your 1L classes are all given to you and they split off all the students into different groups (who all take the same courses together and have the same classes - like in elementary school)

So this email saying for 2018 students will select their own courses, does that mean we wont be having the same schedule and classes with the group of students the school assigns us too? 

That’s interesting. Previously it was how you described—you took classes with your section group. I would reach out to the school to clarify?  

The current 1L schedule on the website shows sections, so maybe we just choose our own section?

Posted (edited)

1Ls are automatically put into sections and have a pre-determined schedule that will be assigned to them. The 1L schedule just shows who your prof is, what time your classes are, and where to go for your class.

You don't choose your own courses/sections until 2L. I don't think they're changing it for this year, but I would ask Marie Jivan for more details.

Edited by Igni

Posted (edited)

This is copy pasted from the FAQ email Marie sent us:

5. Do I register for courses? What is my schedule? 

First Year Law students will register themselves for coursesThe schedule will be posted here (link), in due course. Once registered, you can also view your schedule in AURORA. Registration for First Year students will be July 31. More details/information to come! 

That’s why im wondering whether or not we are grouped like 1L usually tends to do

Edited by 1122

Last year was the first year the 1Ls could choose their own section. You will also be able to choose your own section this year as well as far as I am aware, but courses for 1L are the classical curriculum (Contracts/Constitutional/Criminal/Property/Torts).

This year, they have altered the 2L/3L course curriculum. They removed something like 5 credit hours required to graduate and also removed many courses from the mandatory list. I do not know all the specifics, but the important part is it offers students more choice and flexibility in 2L and 3L henceforth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AeroBarrel said:

Last year was the first year the 1Ls could choose their own section. You will also be able to choose your own section this year as well as far as I am aware, but courses for 1L are the classical curriculum (Contracts/Constitutional/Criminal/Property/Torts).

This year, they have altered the 2L/3L course curriculum. They removed something like 5 credit hours required to graduate and also removed many courses from the mandatory list. I do not know all the specifics, but the important part is it offers students more choice and flexibility in 2L and 3L henceforth.

I realize you said that last year the 1L’s chose their own section, but in the FAQ post above, do you think “students will register themselves for courses” might mean they are again trying something new? I get everyone has to take the the classical curriculum, but does this now mean there are no more sections, and that just like undergrad, many of us will have different schedules? 

It’s not a big deal, i was just hoping to go back to the middle/elementary school style sectioned class method rather than the undergrad - everyone for themselves style. 

Posted (edited)

From what faculty staff have told me before, placing people into pre-determined schedules allowed students to have an easier time developing friendships with people within their class, so that people who are less vocal or less open don't end up hiding in a corner for the full 3 years. Being around the same people for a year helps develop familiarity, etc etc

I don't see why it would change, to be honest.

@AeroBarrel: Removed 4 courses from the mandatory list, but to be honest, most are still going to take 3 of those 4.

Edited by Igni

37 minutes ago, Igni said:

From what faculty staff have told me before, placing people into pre-determined schedules allowed students to have an easier time developing friendships with people within their class, so that people who are less vocal or less open don't end up hiding in a corner for the full 3 years. Being around the same people for a year helps develop familiarity, etc etc

I don't see why it would change, to be honest.

@AeroBarrel: Removed 4 courses from the mandatory list, but to be honest, most are still going to take 3 of those 4.

That's exactly what i'm hoping for. I don't have any problems engaging with people, however it gets annoying when there is different people in every class. If it was like elementary school where we see and have the same courses with a group of people, that would be perfect.. But the email she sent said students are to pick their courses and I dont know if we can be put into sections/groups if we all have access to select our own schedules :/  

4 hours ago, 1122 said:

That's exactly what i'm hoping for. I don't have any problems engaging with people, however it gets annoying when there is different people in every class. If it was like elementary school where we see and have the same courses with a group of people, that would be perfect.. But the email she sent said students are to pick their courses and I dont know if we can be put into sections/groups if we all have access to select our own schedules :/  

Now that I look at what you posted earlier again, I'm finding it quite odd that you'd have a registration date decided already. I might drop by the University some time to chat with Marie and co. regarding the change and ask them some questions about it since I'm curious about it myself.

There were some discussions regarding this from what I remember, since some students wanted to be in specific sections in previous years. Some friends etc were separated due to being automatically sorted into classes. I'd imagine that students would choose a specific section to join and be able to join those classes since that would make the most sense, but still results in niches carrying over from undergraduate studies etc and would end up being a compromise to what I mentioned before. It could be possible that the new academic dean has some different ideas regarding the 1L course selection process, but I'd have to ask him about it.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Igni said:

Now that I look at what you posted earlier again, I'm finding it quite odd that you'd have a registration date decided already. I might drop by the University some time to chat with Marie and co. regarding the change and ask them some questions about it since I'm curious about it myself.

There were some discussions regarding this from what I remember, since some students wanted to be in specific sections in previous years. Some friends etc were separated due to being automatically sorted into classes. I'd imagine that students would choose a specific section to join and be able to join those classes since that would make the most sense, but still results in niches carrying over from undergraduate studies etc and would end up being a compromise to what I mentioned before. It could be possible that the new academic dean has some different ideas regarding the 1L course selection process, but I'd have to ask him about it.

Thanks, Please let us know once you find out!

On 11/05/2018 at 3:22 PM, Igni said:

Hey, did you get a chance to ask them in person?

Unfortunately, I haven't :( I have to head downtown at 7:30 and don't get back until 5:30-6 for my work. Can't even go view my exams lol.

I'll probably head over during articling interview week where I take a morning or afternoon off for interviews.

Marie sent an email today regarding registration and I take it that we choose our section and stick with that section for all classes. I checked Aurora and it seems like all the sections have the exact same schedule, just different profs. 

12 hours ago, IJustWannaGraduate said:

Marie sent an email today regarding registration and I take it that we choose our section and stick with that section for all classes. I checked Aurora and it seems like all the sections have the exact same schedule, just different profs. 

Yea I got the email yesterday too, I

guess we don’t have to setup our own schedules afterall :)

On 2018-06-27 at 11:33 PM, IJustWannaGraduate said:

I can see that all the first year courses have the exact same schedule, but all the profs are "TBA". Are you seeing actual names of the professors on your aurora account? Or is this something that you anticipate being updated? 

On 2018-07-07 at 12:41 PM, Winnipegkid said:

I can see that all the first year courses have the exact same schedule, but all the profs are "TBA". Are you seeing actual names of the professors on your aurora account? Or is this something that you anticipate being updated? 

I checked again and there is a slight difference between the three sections. A03 has property on Monday mornings while A01 and A02 have it Thursday afternoons. 

All the profs are still TBA on my aurora account. Registration isn't until the 31st so I'm anticipating that it will be updated before then. 

20 hours ago, icantpoonomore said:

Hey guys. I emailed Marie re: this exact question, and she said that they will not be providing the names of the professors until after we've registered.

This will be because last year (the first of self-registration), students looked up the assigned professors (online reviews, comments, their syllabuses etc) and tried to pick 'ooh, I like that one for Torts, that one for Constitutional, want to avoid that one for Property', and wound up trying to pick from a range of courses across A01, 2 and 3. This year they seem to be keeping self-registration (so eg friends can try to get into the same section together) but avoiding giving the profs will hopefully mean students stick to a single section instead of ignoring the instructions.