Anyone here take the JD/MBA program here, or know someone that did? Got accepted to this joint program with a $13200 scholarship, trying to decide whether to pick Dal’s JD/MBA or UBC’s JD, which I was accepted to with no scholarships.

Thanks!

Don't know anything about Dal's JD or MBA programs but here's my 2 cents: 

I think the very first question you must ask yourself is - where do you want to work? These two schools are literally in two opposite coasts, and so where you work in the future will likely be in proximity to where you attend law school. The second question is, do you have an interest in business? If no, then don't even consider the JD/MBA. Your reasons for doing your MBA should be related to your interests as well as what you want to do in the future. 

For MBAs, where you go to school matters a lot more than where you get your JD. In Canada all JDs will provide you with a great legal education and you the career path options are more or less the same, although some schools may provide a higher chance for a certain path than others. MBAs however, from my limited understanding and from what I've been told, is a "networking degree." I'm sure 90% of what you will learn is the same across most or all b-schools but it is important to look into the reputation and alumni of the school.

So my best advice is for you to look at some JD/MBA alumni from Dalhousie and see where they are now and what they are doing. Does any of that interest you? Is that something you see yourself doing in the future? Maybe even reach out to some alum and talk to them how the MBA has helped or benefited their legal career, and whether they think it was worth it or not. Also ask them what they plan on doing in the future. .  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm a Dal grad. A good portion of my graduation class was from BC, and IIRC, everyone found jobs in BC that wanted to return.

IMHO, I'd go to the school where you want to work afterwards. If that's BC, then I'd go to UBC notwithstanding the fact that (1) you'll get an MBA as well from Dal and (2) Dal grads generally place well across the country. (The MBA program at Dal is good, but I don't think it's nationally recognized or anything like that.)

Also, consider cost. I think MBAs are really expensive - does the scholarship make up that difference?

Dal could be a good choice if you want to live in another place for three years and you have a strong interest in the MBA, but if you are staying in BC, I think UBC is the choice.

Edited by conge

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Greetings everyone, I completed my Bachelors degree from India last year, And I have a 3.7 GPA With 170 LSAT Score. My Ambition is to work as a Lawyer in Canada, But I'm really afraid to apply as I don't know about the job prospects for International Students in Canada.  I know how risky it is, To come to Canada on a student visa, And expect a job after three years on a post graduation work permit. So is it worth applying, as an international student?
    • It seems to be a recent phenomenon where getting approved without a cosigner with no credit history is the norm. Is it a fairly safe assumption that not much is going to change between now and this time next year? Probably. But why chance it? It's not hard to get a good credit score. If you open a basic student credit card account and make minimum payments on time for a year or so you'll probably have a score of around 700~. You have to be late an entire 30 days before a late payment is reported on your credit report (though banks may increase your interest rate if you're consistently late). You don't even really have to worry about paying off the balance in full each month--though it is good advice to help avoid overspending--as long as you pay down the balance to lower your utilization around a month or so before you apply for credit, as far as your credit score is concerned you're in the exact same position as a person who paid the card off in full each month. If you get a card from your current bank, you can link your credit card and debit card with online banking. Meaning you log into online banking and you'll see both accounts. You can see your credit card minimum payment and due date and transfer whatever amount you want from your debit account to your credit card to make a payment. It only takes a few seconds. Most banks even have features where they will text or email you notice that you have a payment coming up. There's really no hassle at all, it's not much more than a 30 second commitment once a month. As far as rent goes, rent generally doesn't show up on your credit report unless you were missing payments and your landlord took you to the tenancy board and got a judgement against you. Cell phone bills are reported on your credit report, but they don't really help to establish credit--they mostly just hurt you if you miss payments. Utilities like cable/internet/house phone won't show up unless they go to collections. Some cities will also send things like unpaid parking tickets to a collection agency too. Not having a credit card doesn't necessarily mean you have no credit. My girlfriend did a number on her credit score by making a bunch of late cellphone payments during undergrad for example If you want to verify whether you have (or don't have) a credit history you can get a free credit check from Borrowell (Equifax score) or CreditKarma (a Transunion based score). Borrowell updates your score automatically once a month and CreditKarma does it weekly. They're VERY useful.  
    • Waitlisted on May 10. LSAT: 154 Cgpa: 77% (UBC) and 3.01 (OLSAS calculated) due to a bad first year. L2: 88% and L3: 85% (UBC) Excellent EC's and work experience. I'm assuming references were strong.
    • Accepted about a week ago. LSAT: 154 Cgpa: 77% (UBC) and 3.01 (OLSAS calculated) due to a bad first year. L2: 88% and L3: 85% (UBC) Excellent EC's and work experience. I'm assuming references were strong.
    • Congrats! Double congrats for u! Did you get an email or check on website?