Eeee

The same 5 people talking in threads

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Your multi-post argument over "it's funny" was basically a greatest hits/reunion tour :). But it's good to get the band back together sometimes.

I was flying out of Toronto and got held up because of the van incident (they were checking so much carry on the conveyor belt was backed up for 45 minutes), so I was irritable :P not an excuse, and I apologized privately to providence

So that encore was my fault. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 2

I noticed my posting rate went off a cliff since this (admittedly, slowly) developed into a "thing". It feels like every topic regresses to the same posters having the same conversation.

• Like 4

It’s been mentioned in here already but I think that the problem isn’t so much that the same few people post in every thread but that those same few people are more interested in talking down at people looking for advice and acting as if anyone who might disagree with their opinion is a worthless peon who hasn’t experienced the world and couldn’t possibly have any knowledge on the subject. The advice tends to more be about the person giving it than about actually helping the poor person who asked for it.

Maybe it’s unavoidable and has more to do with the type of lawyer/law student who wants to chip in and make their opinion known on every subject. It’s an incredible shame though because this could be a fantastic place to get advice about starting a career in the legal profession, but because of this it’s really the last place I’d look for any kind of real advice that’s meant to actually help me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, msea said:

It’s been mentioned in here already but I think that the problem isn’t so much that the same few people post in every thread but that those same few people are more interested in talking down at people looking for advice and acting as if anyone who might disagree with their opinion is a worthless peon who hasn’t experienced the world and couldn’t possibly have any knowledge on the subject. The advice tends to more be about the person giving it than about actually helping the poor person who asked for it.

Maybe it’s unavoidable and has more to do with the type of lawyer/law student who wants to chip in and make their opinion known on every subject. It’s an incredible shame though because this could be a fantastic place to get advice about starting a career in the legal profession, but because of this it’s really the last place I’d look for any kind of real advice that’s meant to actually help me.

Do you have an example? For the most part, this isn't the tone I've seen from regular posters (especially those who are already lawyers). There is mud-slinging, but usually not from those who've been on this forum for a long time.

I personally think this site is a fantastic place to get advice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Psychometronic said:

Do you have an example? For the most part, this isn't the tone I've seen from regular posters (especially those who are already lawyers). There is mud-slinging, but usually not from those who've been on this forum for a long time.

I personally think this site is a fantastic place to get advice.

Nothing that immediately comes to mind I’m afraid. I can hardly claim to be a regular poster or even a regular lurker so maybe I’ve just been unlucky with what I’ve seen. I used to look at a lot of threads with people asking about what they can do to be more competitive applicants and more recently looking at threads about career advice. I can only speak to my experiences and that’s the impression I’ve gotten from what I’ve seen.

I hope that other people have had different experiences and have gotten advice that really helped them. I’ve been pretty turned off though by the times I’ve seen posters with thousands of post demonstrating a holier than thou attitude and being in my opinion incredibly arrogant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, secondchance said:

Instead, maybe we should reward the regulars who keep this place active and lively?

Or... maybe this place would be much *more* active and lively if so many people weren't discouraged from participating? (See Morgan's comment above)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rebeccius said:

Or... maybe this place would be much *more* active and lively if so many people weren't discouraged from participating? (See Morgan's comment above)

Not sure about that. If you knocked out most of the “mega posters” most threads would be applicants telling other applicants that they’re all excellent applicants who will undoubtedly overcome their -4.6 GPA and 104 LSAT to attend U of T on the back of a “compelling” access claim and “Strong ECs.” 

• Like 2

No, I am with Morgan on this one and I too agree with Eeee.

The issue isn’t that some posters rack up more posts. The issue is when multiple posts are bogged down by the same four or five voices taking the same position on the same arguments using the thread topic as a springboard for their soapboxing or self-reflection. At a certain point these discussions are not informative or interesting to anyone else. They are better taken to a common PM or hell, a booth at the local bar - offline!

A lot of us  have been guilty of this, including me, but when we get numerous reports complaining of it and various valuable and contributing longtime posters leaving the forum because they’re tired of the endless repetition, it’s a problem. 

Note: I appreciate it has died down somewhat since this thread began. I hope the awareness and restraint continues. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

No, I am with Morgan on this one and I too agree with Eeee.

The issue isn’t that some posters rack up more posts. The issue is when multiple posts are bogged down by the same four or five voices taking the same position on the same arguments using the thread topic as a springboard for their soapboxing or self-reflection. At a certain point these discussions are not informative or interesting to anyone else. They are better taken to a common PM or hell, a booth at the local bar - offline!

A lot of us  have been guilty of this, including me, but when we get numerous reports complaining of it and various valuable and contributing longtime posters leaving the forum because they’re tired of the endless repetition, it’s a problem

Note: I appreciate it has died down somewhat since this thread began. I hope the awareness and restraint continues. 

Oh I agree with Morgan too, if that was unclear. 

I just think there’s a balance. If you (hypothetically) banned the offenders (or implemented the three post thing), I think the site becomes less active and less useful. At the same time, I recognize Morgan’s point. 

Re: the bolded, not sure how I feel about that. You yourself have joked we really only have seven conversations on repeat here. I’m not sure how much of that can be attributed to poor posting habits vs how much can be attributed to the fact that applicants/students only ask so many questions.

I think it’s more persuasive in the OT forum, but that’s more a function of me having no thoughts on the natural tendency to repeat conversations in OT threads. In comparable media like reddit, conversations seem equally repetitive. 

How much of the repotition is a function of users, and how much is a function of the medium? I’m not sure — but I can tell you this was a complaint I’ve seen in threads on reddit, in very early threads on this forum, and in recent threads  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Not sure about that. If you knocked out most of the “mega posters” most threads would be applicants telling other applicants that they’re all excellent applicants who will undoubtedly overcome their -4.6 GPA and 104 LSAT to attend U of T on the back of a “compelling” access claim and “Strong ECs.” 

Yeah, sure....  I guess... if you're working under the assumption that the "mega posters" are the only people capable of contributing meaningful discourse to this forum.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rebeccius said:

Yeah, sure....  I guess... if you're working under the assumption that the "mega posters" are the only people capable of contributing meaningful discourse to this forum.  

Yeah, I guess the other likely outcome would be that new “mega posters” arise. 

5 minutes ago, TrqTTs said:

Oh, the irony @BlockedQuebecois, commenting on mega posters while occupying 3 of the last 5 (now 6 I suppose) posts.

Until you commented (and now), I had three of the most recent posts in forums too! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Until you commented (and now), I had three of the most recent posts in forums too! 

It's the quality, not just the quantity, that matters; from my profile:

"You last won the day on May 3

Congratulations, you had the most liked content!"

Hah! Suck it, Mr. March 31st! :twisted:

• Haha 1

“Exercise discretion” is not the same as “don't post”.

Happily I think the message has gotten across for the most part. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1