DJ89

Suggestions which part of the city to live in?

Any insight would be much appreciated! From scanning the forum it seems York is not the best area to live in; I will be moving from BC and have never been to Toronto. Are there any affordable suburbs/parts of the city nearby? I will have a vehicle so I am not too worried about a commute. Ideally, id like to rent a studio/ 1 bedroom and have a max monthly rent budget of $1200.

If you want a studio/one bedroom for $1200, you really should consider Osgoode Chambers. The city is fairly expensive and you're looking at an average rent of $2000 for a one bedroom.

The challenge is that if you do find something inside the $1200 range, the area is probably not going to be any better. 

Also, consider that your car will cost you roughly $1,000 per year to park at school.  If you live off campus, you will have to add maintenance and extra gas plus commute time. And it’s difficult to find anything decent for that money.

Toronto is, sadly, a very expensive city.

I would ditch your car, use the savings to increase your rent budget and find a place near St Clair West or Eglinton West stations.

• Like 1

Sadly, $1200 is not a realistic off-campus living budget in Toronto (for a studio/ 1 bedroom at least).

I have seen some Midtown bachelors for around that price, but a) they look pretty tiny and b) the rental market is very competitive, so I don't think it's smart to bank on snagging something for that price.

You should be prepared to spend upwards of $1400 for anything decent (which I know is obviously subjective). 

FYI....

My brother goes to U of T and lives at Dundas & University which is on the university subway line.  His rent for a very small one bedroom is $2100.00/mnth.

The area around St. Clair station (Bathurst and St. Clair) has quite a few newer condos, is more economical and is closer to Osgoode (within 30 minutes would be my guess).

OP, if you look in Midtown, you can for sure find something below the $2000 mark. A quick search on viewit.ca shows 107 listings for bachelors/ 1 bedrooms  for $1600 or less: http://www.viewit.ca/vwListings.aspx?cs=1&city=Toronto+-+(T2). A lot of them are in older buildings and are missing amenities like A/C,  en suite laundry, etc. Not sure if those are deal breakers for you or not. 

Again, there are even a few in the $1200 range, but with utilities you will most likely go over that.

If you are strict on the $1200 ceiling, I would strongly consider the advice to stay on campus.

Edited by Parvati

12 hours ago, ZineZ said:

If you want a studio/one bedroom for $1200, you really should consider Osgoode Chambers. The city is fairly expensive and you're looking at an average rent of $2000 for a one bedroom.

The challenge is that if you do find something inside the $1200 range, the area is probably not going to be any better. 

Idk if that’s accurate you can find 1 bedrooms between 1500-1700 a month 

5 hours ago, Rascal2017 said:

FYI....

My brother goes to U of T and lives at Dundas & University which is on the university subway line.  His rent for a very small one bedroom is $2100.00/mnth.

The area around St. Clair station (Bathurst and St. Clair) has quite a few newer condos, is more economical and is closer to Osgoode (within 30 minutes would be my guess).

St Clair west, not st Clair—it will be very annoying travelling from st clair

id highly reccomend getting anything along the university line, so that could mean anything from, for example, st. Andrew to eglinton west station — quick subway ride up. Currently live at Spadina and, notwithstanding occasional delays, I get to school in about 40 min on ttc 

13 minutes ago, thereleasestg said:

Idk if that’s accurate you can find 1 bedrooms between 1500-1700 a month 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2017/09/average-cost-one-bedroom-rental-toronto-hits-2000/

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/07/07/toronto-tenants-face-tighter-squeeze-report.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/urbanation-toronto-condos-1.4614198

Bachelors are around 1600 depending on where you're looking. 

1 hour ago, ZineZ said:

Yes the average cost is $2000 but I found a ton of 1 bedrooms around 1600 when i was looking last year and I lived somewhere for 5 months where I was paying $1650 in a brand new building with a swimming pool, underground garage, dishwasher, microwave, etc. Trust fam 

2 hours ago, thereleasestg said:

Yes the average cost is $2000 but I found a ton of 1 bedrooms around 1600 when i was looking last year and I lived somewhere for 5 months where I was paying $1650 in a brand new building with a swimming pool, underground garage, dishwasher, microwave, etc. Trust fam 

Right, but my point still stands. I said that the average is 2000 for a 1 bedroom and that if you find something for $1200, it's likely not going to be better located. 

2 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Right, but my point still stands. I said that the average is 2000 for a 1 bedroom and that if you find something for $1200, it's likely not going to be better located. 

For $1200 you can get a bachelor at Jane and Finch--for $1600-1700 you can get a half decent apartment at St. Clair West. $2000 for a 1 bedroom would be somewhere more downtown or a space with nicer features. 

1 minute ago, thereleasestg said:

For $1200 you can get a bachelor at Jane and Finch--for $1600-1700 you can get a half decent apartment at St. Clair West. $2000 for a 1 bedroom would be somewhere more downtown or a space with nicer features. 

"if you find something for $1200, it's likely not going to be better located. "

On a different note, OP - Living at Osgoode isn't terrible. I've had a pretty great experience and the subway has made it a much, much, much better deal. 

35 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

On a different note, OP - Living at Osgoode isn't terrible. I've had a pretty great experience and the subway has made it a much, much, much better deal. 

The downside is you'll probably end up going to class because it's convenient.  

• Like 2

How soon should we start looking for a place? I've noticed that on rental websites it doesn't say when an apartment is available (you have to contact the poster), so should I assume most places are available to be rented right away? I'm aiming to start a lease on July 1st. Should I be looking now? Or should I wait until June? 

27 minutes ago, baconandmegs said:

How soon should we start looking for a place? I've noticed that on rental websites it doesn't say when an apartment is available (you have to contact the poster), so should I assume most places are available to be rented right away? I'm aiming to start a lease on July 1st. Should I be looking now? Or should I wait until June? 

I'd wait to start looking unless there's a specific building you're interested in and want to be put on a waitlist. A lot of landlords post only a month in advance, maybe two. 

• Thanks 1