janegu

Pros and Cons List of Calgary Law?

Hi there, I'm a 0L and I was wondering if any current/past students are down to do a pros and cons list of Calgary Law so incoming students (such as myself) know what to expect. I know there was one done a while ago, but it's been some time now so it would be nice to see an updated version! Thanks in advance :) 

• Thanks 1

Hey, fellow 0L here. I asked a student ambassador for a list of pros for a while ago; I'll give you a rundown of what she said. She liked the small class sizes, relatively young and approachable teaching staff, and the access to the Calgary legal market which is very involved with the program. I did not ask about cons, but if you're looking for some more assurances I'd recommend getting into contact with one of them. 

• Thanks 1

the cons list is relatively short. Off the top of my head I think one thing to keep in mind is you are going to get slammed with info from every direction in that first week. Try to enjoy it and not get worked up about it. The best thing to remember is it is only week one of many. Take some time to soak it all in you got into law school that is huge!  Use the time to get to know your classmates. These are the people you will spend the next three years with and trust me when you're in 9am class hungover from the night before nothing will feel better than looking around and seeing all your friends just as miserable. The key to success is be yourself and treat your LSAT score like fight club  NEVER bring it up  

Really though don't get bogged down in the job pressure. U of c has a tendency to really push the big law firms. This is fine if that's what you want. But know there are a bunch of other equally rewarding opportunities. Don't be afraid to talk to upper Years. And get to know your profs because when everyone else is crying in February cause they weren't one of the 10-15 who got big law summer jobs you can easily snag yourself an RA position (great resume booster and reference letter generator). And have fun! The time flies and it is an experience like no other.  

Also the first year block course is incredible.  Don't stress over it - it is pass fail. But everything you learn in those 3 weeks will make your first semester a breeze.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I disagree in regards to the the first block class. I felt like it could have been cut in half and covered the same material. Many other people I have discussed it with felt it was unecessarily long. 

Take that with a grain of salt though because the one portion of it I really liked was the dean's lectures on the history of law. 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, BortSimpson said:

Pro: high likelihood of obtaining gainful employment in Alberta after graduating. 

Read this as "painful employment"

I'm starting in September too, but when I'm volunteering at court I see lot's of SLA members running about. They all look happy with what they are doing and don't mind me badgering them with questions. Kind upper years is a definite pro for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G1donut said:

Read this as "painful employment"

I'm starting in September too, but when I'm volunteering at court I see lot's of SLA members running about. They all look happy with what they are doing and don't mind me badgering them with questions. Kind upper years is a definite pro for me.

Following up on that. SLA in Calgary is a positive to going uofc. You can be in a court room before a judge days after your first SLA intake.

Edited by Huxlei
  • Thanks 1

On 2018-04-16 at 2:15 PM, Huxlei said:

I disagree in regards to the the first block class. I felt like it could have been cut in half and covered the same material. Many other people I have discussed it with felt it was unecessarily long. 

Take that with a grain of salt though because the one portion of it I really liked was the dean's lectures on the history of law. 

The least exciting and useful part of block week. If cut this part out the three week length may actually be reduced. 

The purpose of the first block week is to acclimatize you to law school in a gentle handholding type way.