lobito

Alder house vs Saint Jean Residence for housing

Can any U of A students or alumni comment on the pros and cons of housing at either?

This is the list I have so far

Alder house (law application)

Pros

Live with other law students

Live super close to the law building

Guarenteed spot in alder house (there was a caveat that the application has to be in by April 31st)

Cons

expensive (think it was 900 a month?)

11 month lease - this pretty much means I should look for summer work in Edmonton

Residence Saint Jean *Have a solid french background - will improve through summer french camp

Pros 

Live in a french environment (i.e. maintain and improve level of french)

Approximately $700/month - 8 month lease

Access to another social group outside of law in Edmonton (from BC)

Cons

Housing officer told me that chances of me getting a spot at RSJ are slim (generally reserved for 1st year undergrads) and I would be giving up my Alder house application

Partying 18 year olds (25 this year. The oldest that RSJ applicants can apply, which also means this will be the last time I will ever be able to apply to RSJ)

Further away from the law building (20 minute by bus)

Balancing 1L workload and returning to dorms to a different language (added stressor)

Does this become a question of how much I value my french education over the cons?

Would I be better served by applying to RSJ for housing, discarding my alder house application, and look for housing off campus if RSJ falls through (L2 roommate off campus)? 

Are you sure about the 20 minute trip by bus to RSJ?  I would say that you could expect it to be longer than that.  I vote for neither option.  That said, I would not want to be in a residence with a group of 18 year olds away from home for the first time.  I think there has been some negative stuff written about noise/privacy in Alder house.  I suppose it depends on priorities.  Both would offer lots of social opportunities but their seems to be lots of those built into the law school experience.

8 hours ago, Pawford said:

Are you sure about the 20 minute trip by bus to RSJ?  I would say that you could expect it to be longer than that.  I vote for neither option.  That said, I would not want to be in a residence with a group of 18 year olds away from home for the first time.  I think there has been some negative stuff written about noise/privacy in Alder house.  I suppose it depends on priorities.  Both would offer lots of social opportunities but their seems to be lots of those built into the law school experience.

Where would you stay instead? I looked at housing options on campus through the U of A website and nothing seemed too appealing. Definitely overpriced although I may apply anyways. There seems to be lots of reasonably priced accommodation near the university and Whyte avenue which seems like the way to go. I place a lot of value on a short commute and hopefully a community environment so I can get to know people as I'm not from Edmonton.

I am pretty sure there are others who will know Edmonton better than I me.  That said, I will give my thoughts.  I always try to decide what sacrifices I am wiling to make with housing.  For example, many law students like to hang out at Devaney's pub every year.  You could live in the Sir John Franklin.  It is overpriced for what you get but I you would be very very close to the law school and the pub.  In fact, you would be upstairs from the pub.  I don't think it is value for money but others do.  I have been spoiled by better and cheaper beer elsewhere!

I live in the Whyte and Gateway area.  All buses that pass by head to the university.  I am close to MEAT, Situation Brewery Next Act and a lot of other great food and beer spots.  Two grocery stores are close by as well.  We pay $1400/mo for a 1+den and I consider that pretty good with ensuite washer/dryer and dishwasher.  Are there a lot cheaper.  Definitely.  There is Crawford Block in the area as well which is micro apartments - about $1100/mo.  They are VERY small but new.  Definitely a lot of older apartments on 83rd between 109 and Gateway.  They are older buildings.  I suspect cheaper but I have never been in any.  Regardless, I would suggest anyone renting would want to get to know the area.  There is a youth hostel just off Whyte for those who wish to visit and check out rentals. in the area without spending a lot on hotels.  

http://hihostels.ca/en/destinations/alberta/hi-edmonton

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pawford said:

I am pretty sure there are others who will know Edmonton better than I me.  That said, I will give my thoughts.  I always try to decide what sacrifices I am wiling to make with housing.  For example, many law students like to hang out at Devaney's pub every year.  You could live in the Sir John Franklin.  It is overpriced for what you get but I you would be very very close to the law school and the pub.  In fact, you would be upstairs from the pub.  I don't think it is value for money but others do.  I have been spoiled by better and cheaper beer elsewhere!

I live in the Whyte and Gateway area.  All buses that pass by head to the university.  I am close to MEAT, Situation Brewery Next Act and a lot of other great food and beer spots.  Two grocery stores are close by as well.  We pay $1400/mo for a 1+den and I consider that pretty good with ensuite washer/dryer and dishwasher.  Are there a lot cheaper.  Definitely.  There is Crawford Block in the area as well which is micro apartments - about $1100/mo.  They are VERY small but new.  Definitely a lot of older apartments on 83rd between 109 and Gateway.  They are older buildings.  I suspect cheaper but I have never been in any.  Regardless, I would suggest anyone renting would want to get to know the area.  There is a youth hostel just off Whyte for those who wish to visit and check out rentals. in the area without spending a lot on hotels.  

http://hihostels.ca/en/destinations/alberta/hi-edmonton

Great, thank you for the information. Sounds like I should probably not wing it and show up late August like I was originally planning.

19 minutes ago, 420 said:

Great, thank you for the information. Sounds like I should probably not wing it and show up late August like I was originally planning.

It could work out. Would probably stress me out. Besides, Situation does not serve milk stout in August. The milk stout could make the trip worth it. 

@Pawford Do you know if those Crawford micro units have washers and dryers in the units? They're tiny, but new. No parking either. I bike a lot and the bike parking is interesting, but I'm wondering if each unit only gets one spot. For around 1050-1100 it's not bad at all. 

2 hours ago, Abii said:

@Pawford Do you know if those Crawford micro units have washers and dryers in the units? They're tiny, but new. No parking either. I bike a lot and the bike parking is interesting, but I'm wondering if each unit only gets one spot. For around 1050-1100 it's not bad at all. 

There are washers and dryers on each floor not in each unit.  No parking.  Impossible to get closer to the Market.   I doubt you would have a problem getting more than one spot to lock a bike.  They are under-utilized.  My feeling is that the only way to furnish them is Ikea.   Not a huge fan of the management company but a personal bias.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pawford said:

There are washers and dryers on each floor not in each unit.  No parking.  Impossible to get closer to the Market.   I doubt you would have a problem getting more than one spot to lock a bike.  They are under-utilized.  My feeling is that the only way to furnish them is Ikea.   Not a huge fan of the management company but a personal bias.

It's something that needs to be seen first-hand for sure. The smallest condo I lived in was 560 square feet. Bit I think I can go 450 no problem. These units are even smaller than that!! haha 

Re. Furnishings: yeah, either Ikea or Structube. 

Are law students even guaranteed a spot at Alder House this year? The 2017-2018 application says so but the 2018-2019 application does not. 

On 2018-04-14 at 3:46 AM, Azir said:

Are law students even guaranteed a spot at Alder House this year? The 2017-2018 application says so but the 2018-2019 application does not. 

Interesting point.  Alder House does not seem to be marketed specifically towards law students anymore.  I did not get a sense that it was a particularly popular option in the past.  The original poster may wish to consider this in pros and cons as well.

On 14/4/2018 at 2:46 AM, Azir said:

When I applied for housing the guarentee was still there for law students 2018-2019 as long as the application was in before April 30th

3 hours ago, Pawford said:

Interesting point.  Alder House does not seem to be marketed specifically towards law students anymore.  I did not get a sense that it was a particularly popular option in the past.  The original poster may wish to consider this in pros and cons as well.

I will keep this in mind!

On 4/15/2018 at 2:18 PM, lobito said:

When I applied for housing the guarentee was still there for law students 2018-2019 as long as the application was in before April 30th

I will keep this in mind!

Have you mistakened that for the 2017-2018 application? The 2017-2018 one is still up right now, and it does have one for law students. 

The 2018-2019 one does not have a specific option for law students in my housing portal. 

If you have a screenshot, it would be nice to see as well! 

Edited by Azir
  • Sad 1