1 hour ago, hopeful2018 said:

Hey! Do we just wait? Or do we have to do something on OLSAS to have them send a copy of our final transcript?  

You will have to submit another transcript request through OLSAS.

17 minutes ago, LawLads said:

You will have to submit another transcript request through OLSAS.

Thanks!

On 2018-04-04 at 3:11 PM, Inconspicuous said:

I'd be hopeful if your winter grades are all A or higher!

Just saw this now.. Don't know why I skipped through. But pretty hopeful at this point! :D

If, for instance, Western were to send out a wave of acceptances mid-April and the class were to fill up, would those whose decisions have been deferred be placed on a wait-list? I'm just trying to understand the point of Western deferring decisions... Is it just to notify students that their applications have been received and reviewed? 

48 minutes ago, Rolivera said:

If, for instance, Western were to send out a wave of acceptances mid-April and the class were to fill up, would those whose decisions have been deferred be placed on a wait-list? I'm just trying to understand the point of Western deferring decisions... Is it just to notify students that their applications have been received and reviewed? 

That was the original question that I wanted to ask. Guess we'll wait to find out?

2 minutes ago, hopeful2018 said:

That was the original question that I wanted to ask. Guess we'll wait to find out?

Yeah I suppose we will... just seems pointless to have done this at all. Unless spots are being reserved for those whose decisions have been deferred (which, to the best of my knowledge, is not the case - correct me if I'm wrong), would they not be in the exact same position had decisions NOT been deferred..?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hopeful2018 said:

Hey! Do we just wait? Or do we have to do something on OLSAS to have them send a copy of our final transcript?  

second paragraph of the letter, it says you need to send a transcript request for winter semester

Edited by aaronl
  • Like 1

Thought I'd provide a little insight since this happened to me, last year I was finishing my fourth year and they deferred my decision while they were waiting for my final grades to come in since my last two years were so different from my first two and they wanted to ensure my final semester would be consistent with my last two (cGPA is 2.8ish, L2 is 3.7ish). While I was waiting for all my final grades to come in the class filled up and I was placed on the waitlist. I wasn't accepted off the waitlist but I was accepted in early January when I applied again this cycle!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, kiyak said:

anyone have any insight into past deferred decisions? i.e. if they're specifically looking for continued upward trends/just making sure you don't drop/likelihood of getting in at this point?

I called admissions yesterday, and from what it sounds like they really want to see you strongly in your final courses. its their way of giving you a fair chance, and allowing you to prove with your grades that you are a strong candidate. 

Its a bit frustrating, but I guess over all it is much better than a rejection so. 

• Like 2

My decision was also deferred. Access category, 158 LSAT single write, 3.25 GPA with strong upward trend (3.4, 3.74, (one summer course with an A after this so I'm not sure how this factors in) and then 3.56 last term. Legal work experience, and strong ECs I think. Hope everyone who's decisions were deferred gets great grades this final exam period! :) 

I am also wondering if there will be space saved on the wait list for us, since many people won't receive their grades till mid or late May.

8 hours ago, mea2018 said:

My decision was also deferred. Access category, 158 LSAT single write, 3.25 GPA with strong upward trend (3.4, 3.74, (one summer course with an A after this so I'm not sure how this factors in) and then 3.56 last term. Legal work experience, and strong ECs I think. Hope everyone who's decisions were deferred gets great grades this final exam period! :) 

I am also wondering if there will be space saved on the wait list for us, since many people won't receive their grades till mid or late May.

it factors in if you calculate your L2, which is the main indicator they take into consideration when looking at GPA. I was deferred last year, then added to the waitlist. Then eventually rejected. So not sure how this answers your question, but the waitlist really made little difference since it all depends on other people's movement and there was none last year, so don't get too excited if you are added to a waitlist. Also I wouldn't describe this 3.25, 3.4, 3.74, then 3.56, as a "strong upward trend." It's a significant improvement but don't let that blind you, kill your exams coming up to show them that your final term will improve on your 3.56

On 2018-04-08 at 9:00 AM, aaronl said:

it factors in if you calculate your L2, which is the main indicator they take into consideration when looking at GPA. I was deferred last year, then added to the waitlist. Then eventually rejected. So not sure how this answers your question, but the waitlist really made little difference since it all depends on other people's movement and there was none last year, so don't get too excited if you are added to a waitlist. Also I wouldn't describe this 3.25, 3.4, 3.74, then 3.56, as a "strong upward trend." It's a significant improvement but don't let that blind you, kill your exams coming up to show them that your final term will improve on your 3.56

* I had a 2.6 and then 2.8 in first and second year due to medical issues - Is 3.56 in L2 still considered a strong upward trend from this? 

On 2018-04-05 at 6:21 PM, leafscupchamps2018 said:

Does anyone know when our transcripts will be released? I'm thinking mid may but i'm not sure

It depends on your school. My school has a deadline of grades to be posted two weeks after the exams, they try for one week after for graduating students though. 

Posted (edited)

Any thoughts on people currently in their fourth year who still say 'applied' at this point in the cycle?

Edited by student3416
  • Like 3

My status changed to "deferred decision" as well this morning. Though I am not exactly sure what they mean by "further grades required", as my GPA is at 3.85 already :wacko:

• Haha 1

Just putting this out there in case there is someone else who has the same situation. I'm finishing my last year of undergrad at YorkU and my decision was deferred. Contract faculty at York has been on strike for the last 7-8 weeks, all of my courses are currently suspended. It's hard to say when the strike will end, but realistically speaking even if it ends by next week my final transcripts won't reach Western before early-mid June as much of my course work still has to be graded. I contacted Western earlier this month to explain my situation, and they told me that if my courses don't resume in time they will make a decision based on whatever GPA they already have.  In other words, I'm probably screwed but still have a tad bit of optimism left. Hoping for a miracle. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Optimistic95 said:

Just putting this out there in case there is someone else who has the same situation. I'm finishing my last year of undergrad at YorkU and my decision was deferred. Contract faculty at York has been on strike for the last 7-8 weeks, all of my courses are currently suspended. It's hard to say when the strike will end, but realistically speaking even if it ends by next week my final transcripts won't reach Western before early-mid June as much of my course work still has to be graded. I contacted Western earlier this month to explain my situation, and they told me that if my courses don't resume in time they will make a decision based on whatever GPA they already have.  In other words, I'm probably screwed but still have a tad bit of optimism left. Hoping for a miracle. 

In the same boat as you... This sucks... 

1 minute ago, mblawyer said:

In the same boat as you... This sucks... 

Made me feel better knowing that at least I'm not alone lol. It is very frustrating though. I just sent Western an email asking how long they will be waiting before making a decision without my final transcript. I also asked if they would still consider my final transcript later on this summer in the event that I get waitlisted. I'll let you know what they say. Goodluck!

• Like 1

Status changed to deferred decision on April 4th

CGPA: 3.56 LSAT: 156 L2: 3.75 

Applied access