GoLeafsGo

How did you feel after you accepted?

So I recently got accepted to Queens and Western. I know many of us had to make this difficult decision recently and wanted to ask that for those who made this decision, did you ever feel moments of regret and what ifs?

The main reason I chose Queens over Western is because even though both are great schools, I like how Queens is a little bit more well rounded as I am unsure of what area I want to practice in the future (but definitely not business/corporate), I liked their legal clinics better (family law and elderly law clinic), everyone I talked to told me Queens has a slightly better law program (I'm guessing they mean prestige?), and I really want to do their castle program. 

However, I went to the Western campus on Saturday and really liked it as well as the city of London (although this may just be because it is new and unexplored terrain for me), I like the idea of going to a different place for each degree, I want to work in downtown Toronto, I liked their international internship programs (though it would realistically be very difficult for me to do next summer as my sister and several close friends are getting married in the summer, it is closer to my home and though the tuition is more expensive, the cost of living (housing) seems much cheaper.

My dream school has always been UofT and I would ideally like to transfer after my first year but I also know there are many challenges associated with that and maybe after my first year, I may choose to stay.  

Right now I keep on thinking about if I made the wrong decision. I am pretty sure that come September I will be okay (or at least hope I will be!) with my decision once I actually start but I am just wondering how other people in this position felt once they made their decision and how they felt once school actually started? Any advice/tidbits would be greatly appreciated! 

More relieved than anything. It's been an agonizing few months. I mentally made the decision of where I wanted to go long before the acceptance deadline though.

I got drunk and went to a strip club in Montreal. That night changed EVERYTHING. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, neymarsr said:

I got drunk and went to a strip club in Montreal. That night changed EVERYTHING. 

13 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

First acceptance was such a huge relief. Felt so good. The following ones were all sort of meh. 

4 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I let out a loud scream at 5 AM in the morning and probably woke my roommate. 

C'mon guys, reading comp. Accepted an offer, not gotten an acceptance

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I only applied to 2 schools.  Both are equal distance from me and both programs are roughly the same expense/will offer similar employment opportunity.  One school accepted me in the first round, and the other waitlisted me for several weeks and accepted me later.  The school that accepted me first round followed up with a phone call - from the members of the ad-com that reviewed my application - where they proceeded to point out all the areas of my application they were impressed by.  I wouldn't have been upset about getting in to either school, and was actually hoping to only get into 1 so I wouldn't have to decide.  In this case, my ego turned out to the main determinant, and proved that flattery will win me over every time.  

At this point I am just happy to be able to make plans, and it feels like my whole life is 100% more relaxed.

Edited by Iheartcats
answered OP's actual question
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

After I accepted my offer I immediately began to try to learn anything I can to prepare for next year. I am grateful for it and excited to start school, but I also feel that nothing is guaranteed and that this is really only the beginning. It’s like being drafted into the OHL: a step in the right direction, but silly to spend too much time feeling good about what you’ve done so far - you don’t even have a career yet and may never even have one. At least that’s how I feel. 

Edited by hopefulcanadianlawyr
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, RNGesus said:

Haha oooooh shit. Whoops. 

I've only provisionally accepted so far, so I'm not sure I can weigh in :( 

37 minutes ago, RNGesus said:

I stand by my earlier comment. 

• Like 4

Accepted Calgary and now I feel very anxious that I made the wrong decision in passing up McGill. Like you said, come September we probably won't think about the paths we didn't take.

• Like 1

So a few weeks ago, in late March, I got accepted to both Queens and Western. I ended up choosing Queens but am worried I made a mistake. For all others who had to choose between two schools, did you feel this way and once you started law school, were you okay with your decision? 

Some insight into my thought process if you're interested:

1. Not interested in corporate/business law at all - my interests right now are more constitutional law, family law, and human rights but I also understand this may change in law school. One of the reasons I ended up choosing Queens was because I understand it to be more of a well-rounded school. 

2. Legal clinics - I liked the family law clinic and elderly law clinic that are offered for students to get involved in. I now realize Western also offers family law opportunities under their community legal services. 

3. International opportunities - I really liked the internship opportunities offered at Western abroad, especially the fact that they offer a $15,000 stipend but realistically I wouldn't be able to take advantage of this because my best friend and sister are getting married next summer (6 weeks apart). I also really like the castle program and that is a more viable option for me since it is only May and June. 

4. Familiarity - I am currently attending Queen's for my master's and have been here since September so I am pretty comfortable with the city. I have enjoyed my experience here but I am a little bored with Kingston as it is pretty small. When I visited Western/London, I really liked it but I also attribute that to being excited about a new place/school. In the summer when I visited Queens/Kingston, I had the same feeling of excitement. 

I am worried that I will still feel this way once the school year starts, even though I know I shouldn't as both are good schools. 

Posted (edited)
On 2018-04-04 at 12:43 PM, hopefulcanadianlawyr said:

After I accepted my offer I immediately began to try to learn anything I can to prepare for next year. I am grateful for it and excited to start school, but I also feel that nothing is guaranteed and that this is really only the beginning. It’s like being drafted into the OHL: a step in the right direction, but silly to spend too much time feeling good about what you’ve done so far - you don’t even have a career yet and may never even have one. At least that’s how I feel. 

I really would recommend not worrying about learning anything until you get to law school, use this summer to relax as much possible in preparation for 1L.

Edited by thereleasestg

3 hours ago, thereleasestg said:

I really would recommend not worrying about learning anything until you get to law school, use this summer to relax as much possible in preparation for 1L.

But preparing is relaxing to me :). And preparing is different than learning. I have a brother who just finished 1L with a lot of success, so I will likely mimic their prep and follow their advice, along with accumulating all the advice on here (somehow?) so when the time comes that I need it I can be as efficient as possible. And will also be relaxing in my own way. Appreciate this, though! :)

Posted (edited)

I remember it well. UT called while I was on lunch break, I think around the time that I (accurately or not) thought was the first week they called people. I said thanks, that’s great news, I appreciate the call. I forget the woman’s name, but her response was, “you know, most people are a little more excited about it than that”. There was a pause while I considered explaining that I was out in public as an adult and wouldn’t be letting out a high pitched scream. “I’m sorry, is there anything you need from me?” She said no and hung up.

Thus began the wonderful experience of getting to know law school admin. 

Edit. Oh, when I accepted. I felt like it would be a lot of years before I didn’t owe a bank money. Pleasantly, that is now done. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, hopefulcanadianlawyr said:

But preparing is relaxing to me :). And preparing is different than learning. I have a brother who just finished 1L with a lot of success, so I will likely mimic their prep and follow their advice, along with accumulating all the advice on here (somehow?) so when the time comes that I need it I can be as efficient as possible. And will also be relaxing in my own way. Appreciate this, though! :)

That’s fine, to each their own, just for the benefit of other readers though I want to make clear that preparing for your first year of law school in advance is neither necessary nor ideal, as you are in it for the long haul and there’s really not much you can do to prepare yourself for the academic component. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thereleasestg said:

That’s fine, to each their own, just for the benefit of other readers though I want to make clear that preparing for your first year of law school in advance is neither necessary nor ideal, as you are in it for the long haul and there’s really not much you can do to prepare yourself for the academic component. 

Based on what I have learned the to each their own part is the most important part of this. I don’t know about the not ideal bit, but I have seen preparing, and this doesn’t mean studying in advance or otherwise going crazy, work out very well for some people, but again, to each their own. 

I would agree that you really can’t prepare for law school but every year, people try, and it probably doesn’t hurt most of them.

School-wise, my big decision was turning down a free ride to Harvard and other similar US schools. I was really conflicted and not in the right frame of mind to make the decision and I just wanted it done, so I felt relieved I’d made a decision and could stop thinking about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hopefulcanadianlawyr said:

Based on what I have learned the to each their own part is the most important part of this. I don’t know about the not ideal bit, but I have seen preparing, and this doesn’t mean studying in advance or otherwise going crazy, work out very well for some people, but again, to each their own. 

Well preparing can mean going for a vacation to clear your head--if preparing entails reading cases or legislation or general legal principles or even how to write a memo, I would say that is not something anyone should bother concerning themselves with. 

If on the other hand you want to meet with a few lawyers or law students to give you an idea of what's going to be coming , I would actually recommend doing that.  

Edited by thereleasestg
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 1:00 PM, GoLeafsGo said:

Right now I keep on thinking about if I made the wrong decision. I am pretty sure that come September I will be okay (or at least hope I will be!) with my decision once I actually start but I am just wondering how other people in this position felt once they made their decision and how they felt once school actually started? Any advice/tidbits would be greatly appreciated! 

I'm really glad you bought this up, because I know how you feel and I thought I was alone in this. Just this past month I had to choose between all four of the schools I applied for and I hated the pressure to commit in such a short period of time. In the end I ended up narrowing it down to UNB(+ a full ride scholarship) and Queen's (very little funding),  but I still spent and entire week stressing about those choices before I finally made a decision. I think being in this spot is especially hard because there is literally no "wrong" choice, but you keep wondering which school is the "better" choice.

I talked to a ton of students and professionals in the field about their experience—both during and after law school— and in the end I ended up choosing Queen's because I was more excited about it.  I'm 100% sure that on a day where I'm particularly short on cash, I'm going to regret turning down that big of a scholarship. On the other hand, if I ended up staying in my hometown at UNB, I might have spent my first year at law school saying "What if a new city would've made me grow up faster?".

I think the best thing you can do is to imagine your best scenario at either school, and once you make a decision, just try your best to make that happen. For example, my plan is to get summer jobs in IP firms, and I know that attending an Ontario school could increase my chances of getting recruited. I'm going to try my hardest at getting hired, but if that doesn't happen I know I won't be too upset. Either way, I'll be going to a great school, getting a Law degree, and maybe I'll find something that I like more than IP Law.

I can't fully predict what it'll be like once school starts, but I expect that it'll have to do a lot with our attitude in the fall. When it comes to Canadian Law schools, I keep hearing something along the lines of "Only you can get the job, not the school". So I guess **prestige** is basically BS, and my instinct is to avoid making a choice based on what school sounds better on paper.  If it helps at all, every current or past law student I've talked to loved their overall J.D. experience. Actually, the only students who were unhappy with their non-academic life at Law School went to UofT (don't start yelling at me, that's just what I heard from 7 out of 8 UofT grads I talked to).

Hope this helps!