Partypanda

Still no articling job for 2018 - 2019. Anyone else?

Tried official recruits, small firms, cold emails, networking, shadowing, etc. I’ve had multiple appointments with my career office. I just feel like a failure.

Posted (edited)

I know it is easy to say but you shouldn't feel like a failure. It is a very competitive market out there and I know of classmates still looking. Hopefully others can chime in with specific advice but I would just encourage you to keep talking to people and to keep your ear to the ground. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things so hopefully soon things will line up for you. Best of luck!

Edited by PurpleGael

Don't feel that way, our year has been particularly difficult for articling jobs. Are you applying outside of the major cities?

3 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

Don't feel that way, our year has been particularly difficult for articling jobs. Are you applying outside of the major cities?

I have pretty much applied province wide.

I'm a 2L, but I have quite a few friends in 3L right now who are in the same boat. It's a rough go out in Western Canada too. 

Posted (edited)

I'm a 3L at Osgoode and a lot of people I know are still looking for articling jobs here as well. Definitely more than 15% of the class at least. That said, most of them were the Bay Street gunners who relied too heavily on OCIs and are stuck in a rut since that did not pan out for them. 

Edited by Deadpool

22 hours ago, Partypanda said:

I have pretty much applied province wide.

PMed you a link

hope that helps

Good luck, guys. It really is a tough market and there are many great students who have missed out on positions, thus far, due to a paucity of vacancies, and not because of any flaws in what they have to offer. 

If somebody told me that I had to do everything over again, I know there's a real risk I would end up empty-handed, as might anyone in this market. 

However, this is all only to this point in time. Many employers won't know they have a need until it arises, so just wait, apply, make connections, and be patient. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leafs_law said:

Good luck, guys. It really is a tough market and there are many great students who have missed out on positions, thus far, due to a paucity of vacancies, and not because of any flaws in what they have to offer. 

If somebody told me that I had to do everything over again, I know there's a real risk I would end up empty-handed, as might anyone in this market. 

However, this is all only to this point in time. Many employers won't know they have a need until it arises, so just wait, apply, make connections, and be patient. 

Listen to this because it’s 100% true. Keep your chin up, and keep looking. It can be tough and draining but eventually something will come up and you don’t want to miss it. Keep putting yourself out there and shore up your supports to keep you sane and balanced while you go through this. And good luck. 

• Like 2

Finally, there will likely be another wave of hiring in May-August, as many smaller firms and solo practioners cannot anticipate their needs in advance. 

If 2017-2018 was any indication, there will be a stream of positions advertised even after that. 

The hiring season is by no means over if that's what you're wondering. 

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat, and fair number of my class is still looking as well. Good luck to you, I guess we just have to keep trying and hope for the best!

• Like 1

I'm in this boat as well. It's tough and no fun because, at least for me, I feel like I can't make any plans while almost all of my friends and classmates are starting to look for their new places and some are making travel plans. We just have to keep at the slog. Good luck.

• Like 2

OP, I feel for you. I graduated with no articling position and I applied basically everywhere in the province. It was really disheartening to network and meet with lawyers who would ask me questions like "have you considered applying outside of Bay Street?" and "Did you look at jobs outside of Toronto?" I did find a position in the end and I hope you will too. Keep at it.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 9:44 PM, Partypanda said:

Tried official recruits, small firms, cold emails, networking, shadowing, etc. I’ve had multiple appointments with my career office. I just feel like a failure.

Keep your chin up. The worst thing you can do is to be downcast and feel that you're a failure or (worse) that you've been passed over for inferior candidates.

Tell everyone that you're looking for an articling position - including people in your class. Contacts can come from anywhere and you'd be surprised how articling positions can suddenly materialise from it.

I can empathise with where you're at right now. This time last year, I didn't have an articling position and was pretty dejected, with the uncertainty eating away at me. I secured an articling position in my last week of classes through a random contact with a friend - it materialised in 3 days; from day of first contact to offer. It's a firm downtown, on Bay St.

All of which is to say, you never know where opportunities can come from. Remain humble and keep searching.

• Like 6

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat too. Currently a 3L in Ontario and looking for an articling position in Calgary.

• Like 1

On 2018-03-23 at 3:48 PM, MrPeanutbutterQC said:

Has anyone heard from WSIAT or TDSB yet re: interviews? 

I emailed TDSB, and got a response yesterday saying that they're still screening applications. 

Following the letter from Arnold Nancy, did anyone get any news or interview from the Department of Justice?