whatislaw

Queen’s or UAlberta

Hey everyone, 

I am currently interested in practicing within BC someday. However, the only schools that I have gotten into so far are Queen’s and Alberta. Do you think that it would be a better choice long term to go to Alberta if the plan is to practice in BC? 

Please let me know what you think, any response is appreciated. 

1 hour ago, whatislaw said:

Hey everyone, 

I am currently interested in practicing within BC someday. However, the only schools that I have gotten into so far are Queen’s and Alberta. Do you think that it would be a better choice long term to go to Alberta if the plan is to practice in BC? 

Please let me know what you think, any response is appreciated. 

Six of one half a dozen of the other. I'd pick Queen's but that's because I think Kingston is a great university town and Edmonton not so much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to practice in BC, the University of Alberta is a superior option from what I understand.

1. If my memory is correct around 20% of the class at UofA are from BC (Based on what I heard in the UofA law videos on YouTube). This means that many of your classmates are future members of the BC bar. It also means many of the current members of the BC bar are UofA graduates or have worked with them. I assume this also means better OCI opportunities at UofA for BC firms, but I do not know for sure.

2. Both schools have similar reputations and "prestige"

3. Edmonton is closer to BC than Kingston is. Making it easier and cheaper to network in BC while at law school.

4. Queens is $6000 a year more expensive

5. Both are large schools with decent course selections and access to ECs

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, pzabbythesecond said:

U of A. Cost savings alone make it worth it, let alone the bigger BC bar membership from the university.

You spent any material time in Edmonton?

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

You spent any material time in Edmonton?

Not that it matters, but I have several friends from there who love it. Of course it's different when you're a local, but they see it as legitimately enjoyable as a city. And it's not like we're comparing it to NYC..

But it's 3 years of the person's life. I think 18 grand in savings plus a better chance at the career they want is worth any sort of sacrifice there might be between Kingston and Edmonton.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Not that it matters, but I have several friends from there who love it. Of course it's different when you're a local, but they see it as legitimately enjoyable as a city. And it's not like we're comparing it to NYC..

But it's 3 years of the person's life. I think 18 grand in savings plus a better chance at the career they want is worth any sort of sacrifice there might be between Kingston and Edmonton.

Just checking...you could be right. If U of A the lower cost and easier access to BC would be the reason. 

• Thanks 1