Sign in to follow this  
Sara137

Best time to start looking for housing?

Hey guys, 

I will most likely be accepting my offer to Windsor in the next couple weeks (yay!) and was hoping for some input about when the best time to start looking for housing is. I'm hoping to be able to find a few roommates who are also entering first year and want to share a house (So if you are reading this and are interested message me!) but am not sure when the majority of rentals will go up. I have been looking on Kijiji and have found a few ads for leases starting in May, but I would rather not pay for the summer if I don't have to. If you have rented in Windsor before, when do you think is the right time to start looking? If I wait to start looking until April/May will all the good places be gone? 

Thanks for any insight! :)

• Like 3

I think most people start looking about 6 weeks before they plan to move in. My friend went to Windsor law and started looking in mid to late July and said there was quite the variety of places. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lawsandpaws said:

I think most people start looking about 6 weeks before they plan to move in. My friend went to Windsor law and started looking in mid to late July and said there was quite the variety of places. Hope this helps.

That's great to know! Thank you!

A lot of leases start July 1st or August 1st. I would say August 1st is ideal as orientation begins at the end of August and being able to stay at your own place is way better than the residence accommodations! I'd recommend getting in touch with landlords in May and coming to Windsor to tour houses in May or June :)

On 2/10/2018 at 8:43 PM, Sara137 said:

Hey guys, 

I will most likely be accepting my offer to Windsor in the next couple weeks (yay!) and was hoping for some input about when the best time to start looking for housing is. I'm hoping to be able to find a few roommates who are also entering first year and want to share a house (So if you are reading this and are interested message me!) but am not sure when the majority of rentals will go up. I have been looking on Kijiji and have found a few ads for leases starting in May, but I would rather not pay for the summer if I don't have to. If you have rented in Windsor before, when do you think is the right time to start looking? If I wait to start looking until April/May will all the good places be gone? 

Thanks for any insight! :)

First – congrats on your acceptance! 

Second – in my search last year, I heard that the Skyline apartments are well-run and rooms run out fast. BUT if you're looking for roommates to share a house, I don't think you'll have trouble getting that set up in April/May. People were coordinating that throughout the summer. If you're from Ontario and have a couple days to spare, I'd highly recommend just taking a trip to Windsor and getting acquainted. A lot of listings you find online might end up disappointing you in real life. 

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1