lawschooladdict95

Chances with low LSAT score in Canada

Hey everyone, I am just wondering if I have any hope of getting into any Canadian law schools with a LSAT score of 150 and GPA of 3.7. I have applied through the access category due to a medical illness. I am not sure if that will help my chances at all though.

Thank you for your help!

Access is a black box. That being said you have a solid cGPA. If I had those stats though I would 100% take the year off, work, and retake the LSAT. 

• Like 3

I'm confused, elsewhere you've posted 3.7/160. Do you have an LSAT? Or are you spitballing? If you have one, which is it?

2 minutes ago, lookingaround said:

I'm confused, elsewhere you've posted 3.7/160. Do you have an LSAT? Or are you spitballing? If you have one, which is it?

Probably posted his/her PT average of 160 and got a 150 on the real deal. Or one of them was a typo. 

Edited by Nabbo
  • Like 1

150 probably more accord to lower Lsat. Perhaps OP can try lakehead, its median lsat medium is around 156.  But a few or a small fraction got accepted with low 150. But it's never a guaranteed shot, and OP still better with re-write to increase overall chances.

Edited by akulamasusu

On 2/10/2018 at 5:01 PM, Nabbo said:

Probably posted his/her PT average of 160 and got a 150 on the real deal. Or one of them was a typo. 

It was a typo in my last post. I didn't know how to delete it.

28 minutes ago, lawschooladdict95 said:

It was a typo in my last post. I didn't know how to delete it.

OK, to be clear, since you didn't restate, the following is based on your precise claim, that the last post was the typo. So assuming your stats are the earlier stated 160/3.7: Based on stats, you certainly have a chance at getting into Canadian schools. The exact chances will depend on things like how your 3.7 breaks down - if you were better at the end than the beginning, if you had a particularly bad year at any point, etc (some schools take your best credits wherever they were, others focus on the overall number, others care about the last 2 or 3 but not the early ones). The scale also matters (eg if your school and 3.7 are on a 4.0 scale, 4.3 or 4.5 - different ones will calculate differently).

In the alternative, if the last post prior to this thread was the typo, you should resit the LSAT, because relatively few people can get into a Canadian school with a 150, and a 3.7, while solid, isn't likely to be spectacular enough to confidently predict an in anywhere.

Edit for: All of those comments are on stats-based, if you apply/ied access then nobody can really give you any assurances at all, as there is far less firm data available.

Edited by lookingaround
add
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 4:58 PM, Prospero said:

Access is a black box. That being said you have a solid cGPA. If I had those stats though I would 100% take the year off, work, and retake the LSAT. 

Would you be able to elaborate on the claim that Access is a black box? What sort of things would an access committee be looking for, if they know that access applicants are applying with elements of their application that don't reflect the majority of applicants in the general category? Are stats considered lower acceptable, do they need to see an extensive list of EC's? etc. Nothing that I've read on this forum gives me the impression that Access is a black box, as I've seen individuals apply as Access with a wide variety of stats get accepted and rejected. It all still seems like a big mystery to me, and it doesn't give me a good ability to predict whether I have a chance or not.

Edited by capitalttruth

Black box probably means unable to predict.

Most of us predict admission based on your stats only.

Oz has recently offered someone with 153 LSAT and 3.7 (access?) 

But that doesn't mean everyone with those stats will most likely be admitted.

5 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Nothing that I've read on this forum gives me the impression that Access is a black box, as I've seen individuals apply as Access with a wide variety of stats get accepted and rejected. It all still seems like a big mystery to me, and it doesn't give me a good ability to predict whether I have a chance or not.

Black box means impossible to know how they determine acceptance.

• Like 1

I got into Ottawa, with a 147.  You can also try UNB.  The evidence of a medical condition may be used as evidence a special circumstance that may be used to be considered in your application, depending where you apply.  You're extracurrics, references will also play in as leverage.