WaitingOnTheHorizon

I checked my Minerva ten times today. It is making mi-nervas!

So far, I've checked my Minerva ten times today.  Yesterday, I could say the same thing without it being a hyperbole.   The day before that.... etc.   I am probably like everyone else.

I applied as a mature student and I have no doubt that my entire application is strong  I was accepted, conditionally, to another Quebec university law school if I pass the TFI (Test de français international), which brings me hope for McGill. 

What worries me is if there are 1,200+ other similar and strong applications.  And, what also worries me is the "Ready for Review" status that, at this point, I've seen over 1,000 times since I applied in November 2017.  I feel like I have severe OCD and, at this point, is a quasi-health risk.  LoooLL 

I am wondering does everyone, who fits the criteria, have an interview?  Are references ever contacted in lieu of an interview?  Or, are there cases that the final decision is made solely on the application and no interview is required? 

Should I worry if I was not contacted for an interview yet?  Does that mean, in between the lines, that I am probably not a priority prospective student?    

Thanks for the reassurance in this matter.  I wish everyone all the best.  This decision from McGill will change my life either way.  

Hi @WaitingOnTheHorizon

First of all, you don't need to frantically check Minerva. I was checking it a bazillion times a minute when I was in your situation, and I ended up receiving my acceptance email hours before my status even changed on Minerva. I don't know if all admissions are done this way, but chances it'll be your case too . (don't start frantically checking your email inbox now lol)

Don't worry about not having contacted for an interview. A lot of admitted candidates are never contacted whatsoever between the moment they submit their application and the moment they are accepted. It was my case, and the case of a lot of the people I know here at McGill. 

I know the waiting is driving you nuts. I know the feeling. Unfortunately, there's really nothing anyone waiting on a response can do besides waiting. 

If I can make you feel any better, keep in mind that pas de nouvelle, bonne nouvelle. I know it is not the most reassuring thing to read. However, you have already been accepted elsewhere and you have a strong application. Cool down, you'll most likely be accepted :)

Also, keep in mind that McGill's admission committee go through +- 1800 applications and have to narrow it down to about 180 admissions. They obviously receive more than 180 applications that would deserve an acceptation. Having this in mind, you understand we're talking about a very time-consuming process when it comes to choosing who's in and who's not. 

I know the waiting is heavy on your nerves, but you really need to try and calm down. You don't want your anxiety to become a treat for you mental or physical well-being. 

I hope I was able to help you relax a bit. Feel free if you have any other question.

Good luck! :) 

• Like 2

I know nothing about McGill (or its acceptances) but this thread popped up on my feed and all I have to say is it is awesome that McGill's system is called "Minerva" (any other Harry Potter fans geeking out about this?!)

Image result

Edited by TheScientist101
  • Like 1

Hi Gerwulf,

Thank you so much for your response.  And, congratulations for living my dream.  [enter thumbs up emoji here]   

I know my application is strong.  I know that I am a unique individual with a lot to offer (we all are, in all honesty) and whatever happens is meant to happen.  I keep telling myself.  As said, this decision, whatever it is, will change my life.  As dramatic as it all sounds, I'm already so proud to have applied to one of the best schools in Canada and in the world.  Let's toast to that while we wait.    Kind regards, WaitingOnTheHorizon

^^ haha ^^ :D TheScientist101  

• Like 1

@WaitingOnTheHorizon

Thank you for your kind words :)

Should you be rejected from McGill, you could still attend the faculty that has already accepted you and apply for a transfer to McGill after your first year. I know it is not a perfect solution, but if you really want to attend McGill specifically, that would be an option for you.

Best of luck and keep us posted! :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WaitingOnTheHorizon said:

Would anyone recommend to write a letter of continued interest?  Or would it make any difference?

Knowing the institution in general, I don't think that it would make a difference. 

4 hours ago, WaitingOnTheHorizon said:

Would anyone recommend to write a letter of continued interest?  Or would it make any difference?

I'm only going with my gut feeling and what (little but some) I've heard about admissions: I think it may do you some good given your particular circumstances.

I don't see how it can hurt you (though ask admissions; you don't want to send one when they have a no LOCI policy) and it may help. Just make sure it's nicely written and please goodness don't have spelling or grammatical errors (Not that you would; just in general).

Good luck :). I'm personally rooting for you because you seem very passionate!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Letters on continued interest are more for those on the wait list. Has admissions even started contacting mature students yet?

Edited by artsydork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, artsydork said:

Letters on continued interest are more for those on the wait list. Has admissions even started contacting mature students yet?

Good call. Sorry I assumed she was waitlisted at this point.

Good question re: mature students. I haven't seen anyone post on the "Accepted" board about getting a call for an interview, or about receiving an offer as a mature student. (I'm also one, and anxiously waiting a reply!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No change at all in my dossier and my status still sits at Ready for Review.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  If I were to get "wait listed" then I would consider writing another letter.  I can also add some major updates on my CV including an article that I edited that got accepted into the BJP (The British Journal of Pharmacology).  :uriel:

I'll keep everyone updated.  I just want everyone to know that if you're already a McGill student or if you have been accepted, you must be some sort of superstar.  The competition is real!  

• Like 1

I'm convinced they made a mistake with my file. But that's a discussion for another day.

UPDATE YOUR RESUME. confirm first, in case they've changed policies, but they definitely encourage you to update your documents - especially with things like That. Congrats that's awesome!

5 minutes ago, WaitingOnTheHorizon said:

I can also add some major updates on my CV including an article that I edited that got accepted into the BJP (The British Journal of Pharmacology). 

• Like 1