inflex

Summer Jobs

Hell All,

Anyone have any ideas on getting a summer position in Ottawa. I'm a 1L, OCIs are done. I didn't apply.

What are some of the alternatives?

I'm not from Ottawa but I can't imagine out all of these law firms in Ottawa there aren't some that need help by way of law students. Should I just be calling law firms and asking if they are willing to hire? :)

5 hours ago, inflex said:

Hell All,

Anyone have any ideas on getting a summer position in Ottawa. I'm a 1L, OCIs are done. I didn't apply.

What are some of the alternatives?

I'm not from Ottawa but I can't imagine out all of these law firms in Ottawa there aren't some that need help by way of law students. Should I just be calling law firms and asking if they are willing to hire?

Cold calling may work out, but realistically, 1L jobs are take what you can get. Apply anywhere it's realistic you could work and don't get your hopes up. 

• Like 1

Ease up your workload in second year and do a couple student proposed internships. You won't get paid, but you'll get good experience and you can be much more picky with where you spend your time. The requirement is that you basically volunteer for a couple weeks with someone who has a law degree. They don't even need to be practicing law. This counts as a full course you can apply to you fall or winter schedule.

Sign up for FSWEP. Most of the student Department of Justice Jobs that show up won't be advertised. Students will be recruited through FSWEP.

Or just sit tight and wait for some RA positions to show up.

• Like 4

To be honest, the chances of finding a 1L summer job are slim. My advice would be what FunnyLawName said- FSWEP. Especially if money is a concern for you, the government has some interesting and well paying summer jobs (e.g. I know they hire law students to be tour guides at the Supreme Court). All experience has transferable skills which you can then put in a resume when you're apply for 2L jobs, articling etc. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 8:33 AM, FunnyLawName said:

Ease up your workload in second year and do a couple student proposed internships. You won't get paid, but you'll get good experience and you can be much more picky with where you spend your time. The requirement is that you basically volunteer for a couple weeks with someone who has a law degree. They don't even need to be practicing law. This counts as a full course you can apply to you fall or winter schedule.

Sign up for FSWEP. Most of the student Department of Justice Jobs that show up won't be advertised. Students will be recruited through FSWEP.

Or just sit tight and wait for some RA positions to show up.

This is great advice. Especially the SPIs. You get work experience that you can talk about in OCIs/future interviews and 3 or 6 credits (depending if you do 1 or 2 this summer), which means that you can lessen your workload in 2L (which can help you get better grades in other classes or relax). I know some people who applied their SPI to their January term which means that they have been off since Christmas break.

• Like 1

What would be a good time to start looking around for these SPIs? I haven't heard of these SPIs before, where do I go to discuss this? the career place? Are they proposed by the student on both sides; so I would have to ask and arrange where I would be able to intern and, at the same time, have to tell the school? Would any law firm be eligible for this? 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 6:04 PM, greenlight said:

What would be a good time to start looking around for these SPIs? I haven't heard of these SPIs before, where do I go to discuss this? the career place? Are they proposed by the student on both sides; so I would have to ask and arrange where I would be able to intern and, at the same time, have to tell the school? Would any law firm be eligible for this? 

I probably should have noted earlier that the SPI's only work for students at the University of Ottawa.

Here's the information page.

Here's the guidelines.

Start looking whenever, but somewhere near the end of the semester there's an information session. Keep an eye on the Dictum newsletter for dates.

Any law firm is eligible. Any government department is eligible. Technically even the convenience store down the road is eligible so long as you're supervised by someone with a law degree. MP and MPP offices are also popular choices since so many members of Parliament and the Ontario Legislature are lawyers.

I think it's particularly helpful for people interested in criminal law. It gives defence lawyers in particular a pretty good resource with free labour and students can make limited appearances at the courthouse.

• Like 1

Hey guys!

Has anyone written the Department of Justice exam for articling positions? Is there a way to prepare for it?