I am a current USask Law Student, AMA

I had seen that a lot of other schools had AMA's where prospective students could ask questions to current ones. Thought I would start up one for USask here to answer any questions prospective students may have about our college.

I am currently a 1L, and will try my best to give my experiences both academically and non-academically in Saskatoon. I am not from here so I could also give insights from someone moving to a new city where they do not know a ton of people!

AMA

• Like 2

Thanks for doing this!

I am a prospective student from Richmond, BC so I do have some concerns about moving to the prairies. First of all, are you planning to set up your career/life in Saskatoon or do you plan on moving elsewhere after graduation?

How did you find the transition of moving to a brand new place? Does Saskatoon (the university, the city itself) offer a lot to do for "fun" outside of school?

What has been the one thing that has surprised you the most in your experience so far? (related to living there, to studying law, etc.)

Edited by SCC
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SCC said:

Thanks for doing this!

I am a prospective student from Richmond, BC so I do have some concerns about moving to the prairies. First of all, are you planning to set up your career/life in Saskatoon or do you plan on moving elsewhere after graduation?

How did you find the transition of moving to a brand new place? Does Saskatoon (the university, the city itself) offer a lot to do for "fun" outside of school?

It should be mentioned that I was from the prairies prior to moving to Saskatoon so a lot of the culture is similar. And my personal plan would be to either work in Saskatoon or elsewhere in the province (possibly Regina). But I know a fair amount of people looking to leave after they graduate with most interested in Calgary and Edmonton, with a few of upper years landing corporate articling positions out there . Knowing this the college does a good job bringing in representatives from these centres to get to know our students and what they offer. This fall they brought in a reception of Calgary/Edmonton firms to the school and allowed students to go and discuss possibilities of an Alberta future with them. The college goes out of their way to help people with applying to jobs that are not strictly in Saskatoon or Saskatchewan I find.  

I found the transition to be relatively smooth! I was worried on moving into a program in which I knew one other person in my year, but have made tons of really good friends within the first semester. The university and college does an excellent job holding a ton of events to meet new people and hang out with classmates outside class. Outside school there is quite a bit of fun cool things to do. Saskatoon has a population of 250,000 people-ish so it is a decent sized city and has many things to do I find. There are tons of clubs and organizations to become a part of and tons of fun events, concerts, and artsy stuff I find! I have had no issues with the city, college, or anything like that with ever not having something to do. 

I guess the one thing that surprised me so far is how genuinely friendly the student body is. You hear of law school being cut throat with students stepping over each other for jobs and profs being real cruel to students. I have had quite literally zero of this as our profs I have had all genuinely want you to succeed and offer you the resources to help with that. I find it to be quite a cooperative community. Also I was not sure how heavy the workload would be with law school so I was ready to drop all my hobbies in order to get readings done every night. I find this is not the case as you are still able to find a 'work-home' balance between school and fun leisure time. In saying that though you do have to be efficient with how you spend your time!

Edited by 200310510
Added detail
  • Like 2

Thanks for the very thorough response!

I'm glad to hear they're very supportive of each individual's ambitions. While I could very well fall in love with the city/province and end up settling down there, it's good to know that they do work with you if you're planning to go elsewhere afterward. Frankly, I thought this could be something that would be frowned upon considering USask values applicants who have a connection to the province, presumably because they want to retain graduates.

And that's very encouraging to hear regarding the city/university. I think everyone's a little intimidated going into law school because it's made out to be very "cut-throat" as you said, but I'm glad to hear that's not the case (at USask at least). And ditto for the workload. While I expect any professional program to be more intensive than undergrad, it's nice to hear that you were still able to have a life outside of school.

• Like 1

Thank you for starting this up. 

My question relates to moving to Saskatoon from another city. Did you opt to live in residence at U of S or did you find a place elsewhere? I've noticed a couple of threads over the past few years discussing residence options but I'm interested in what the current situation is like (ie: which residences do law students generally stay at, benefits/drawbacks of residence at U of S, etc). Appreciate if you can answer, but totally understand if you don't have experience in residence!

2 hours ago, AFinch86 said:

Thank you for starting this up. 

My question relates to moving to Saskatoon from another city. Did you opt to live in residence at U of S or did you find a place elsewhere? I've noticed a couple of threads over the past few years discussing residence options but I'm interested in what the current situation is like (ie: which residences do law students generally stay at, benefits/drawbacks of residence at U of S, etc). Appreciate if you can answer, but totally understand if you don't have experience in residence!

So I elected to live in an apartment and not residence as I had some negative experiences with Residence in my Undergrad (which was not at the UofS). But a lot of people in our class are staying in residence at least for this year. Almost all the people who are in residence are in 'grad house' which as the name suggest is for graduate students. I have been there a couple times and it looks super nice and the people there seem to like it. Also like I said there are quite a few people in the class that are there. 

I cannot talk about benefits and drawbacks as I do not live there but it has seemed incredibly fancy for university residence imo. You can possibly check out the website for it here:
https://livewithus.usask.ca/incomingresidents/ourresidences.php#GraduateHouse

Might be chipping in a bit late here, but what is your class schedule like? Also, how much homework/readings do you get in a typical week? Thanks for doing this and go riders!

5 minutes ago, Bobuster said:

Might be chipping in a bit late here, but what is your class schedule like? Also, how much homework/readings do you get in a typical week? Thanks for doing this and go riders!

Not OP, but I'm a current 2L at Usask. The 1L class schedule is generally very well structured and the exams are usually nicely spaced apart. They actually list the current year's schedules on the Current Students page, which has some other good info you might want to check out. 

In terms of readings and homework, if I remember correctly, 1L had a fair amount. You're probably looking at 50-70 pages per week (although that can vary significantly). Most people probably study into the evenings, although you get better at it as the year progresses. They really do ease you into it in 1L. A lot of people say the hardest part is learning how to learn (i.e., learning how to read skim cases properly). I personally found the transition from 1L classes to 2L much more jarring than from undergrad into law. 

• Like 2