Hi,

My GPA isn't high enough to get into Law School in Canada. So I am now considering going to the UK since there is not much I can do with my degree. Any suggestions for good law schools and experiences people may have had coming back? 

18 hours ago, PriyaChatha said:

Hi,

My GPA isn't high enough to get into Law School in Canada. So I am now considering going to the UK since there is not much I can do with my degree. Any suggestions for good law schools and experiences people may have had coming back? 

Some threads you might find interesting reading if you haven't found them yet:

Most people here don't have direct personal experience of the route, but I think it's fair to say that, at best, it would add additional challenges. If your GPA isn't good enough for a Canadian law school, it's probably also not good enough for the Oxbridge way of mitigating those. Success can happen, it can also cause pain, and it's reasonable to say there's a lot of cost involved.

Considering that going overseas means at a minimum NCA exams when you come back, which takes time, you may yet find that additional Canadian undergraduate courses to raise your GPA are a better option - but obviously you need to make your choice, and you haven't given us any data to go on - depending on things like your GPA and how it breaks down, and if you've looked at the LSAT, your options may not be what you thought they were, or as limited as you thought they were. If they are, this might not be the get-out card you think it might be. 

In case you think this is totally downer, I was talking to a lawyer recently who only has one degree, due to doing his LLB in Britain right after high school and coming back immediately. He was keen on how it had worked for him. (I'm not sure that's a representative example.)

I guess because I have abused these forums for my gain for so long. It is time to pay it forward.

First off, simply not being able to do much with you undergraduate degree is never a good reason to try to get into law school. Maybe look back why you went to university in the first place. There are many good jobs out there, in fact there are many better professions than the lawyer profession. The pay in these professions are much better and you have a life.

Law school is a long term commitment where awards are not reaped until probably couple of years after you graduate. So it's not really a 3 year haul, more like a 5 or 6 year haul. Combine that with the 4 years of being undergrad.

The UK is a bad option because it's extremely risky. I advise everyone that brings it up to not do it. I've looked heavily into the UK, probably a bit more than others. It's simply a bad bet, where the upside is little but the downside is limitless.

The bias is also real. A great indication of this is now job postings state Canadian JD requirement. I'm almost positive this never used to be the case. There is a tiny small market for UK educated lawyers but even prior to getting into that market the road is tough.

I know people that went to the UK. Some are working free and some of them are working around the minimum wage range and some are doing what they were doing before goingto the UK. But I'm sure there are some UK educated lawyers that do well.

Edited by inflex
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, inflex said:

I guess because I have abused these forums for my gain for so long. It is time to pay it forward.

First off, simply not being able to do much with you undergraduate degree is never a good reason to try to get into law school. Maybe look back why you went to university in the first place. There are many good jobs out there, in fact there are many better professions than the lawyer profession. The pay in these professions are much better and you have a life. Such as?

Law school is a long term commitment where awards are not reaped until probably couple of years after you graduate. So it's not really a 3 year haul, more like a 5 or 6 year haul. Combine that with the 4 years of being undergrad. Agreed.

The UK is a bad option because it's extremely risky. I advise everyone that brings it up to not do it. I've looked heavily into the UK, probably a bit more than others. It's simply a bad bet, where the upside is little but the downside is limitless. Well...it's sorta working out for me right now. I'm glad I went.

The bias is also real. A great indication of this is now job postings state Canadian JD requirement. I'm almost positive this never used to be the case. Interesting. Can you show me an example, please? There is a tiny small market for UK educated lawyers but even prior to getting into that market the road is tough. Yup.

I know people that went to the UK. Some are working free and some of them are working around the minimum wage range and some are doing what they were doing before going to the UK. Agreed. But I'm sure there are some UK educated lawyers that do well. There are indeed. Australia, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kcraigsejong said:

The bias is also real. A great indication of this is now job postings state Canadian JD requirement. I'm almost positive this never used to be the case. Interesting. Can you show me an example, please? 

I've actually seen a few articling position postings requesting Canadian JDs. Although I suppose this doesn't mean others are excluded from applying if they meet their NCA requirements. But I thought it was interesting that Canadian was specified

Edited by healthlaw

On 16/01/2018 at 4:45 PM, PriyaChatha said:

Hi,

[emphasis added]

As @inflex noted, not feeling there's much you can do with your current degree, or not liking your current job, or whatever, isn't a good reason to go to law school. It wouldn't be a good reason to go to law school in Canada, and it's not a good reason to go to law school overseas. It may very well be a good reason to look for other opportunities to work/study/intern/apprentice/whatever generally, and maybe law is one of those possibilities, but it's generally not a good idea to drift into law school (or a master's, or whatever), spending years and money, merely because you can't figure out what to do with your existing degree/life.

If you wanted to practice law, that would be a good reason to want to go to law school, and a good reason to investigate the UK if Canada not possible (not saying it would necessarily be a good reason to go, but at least to investigate and consider).

Really bad idea OP

You are talking about dedicating yourself to a career you don't seem overly determined to do meanwhile, investing $100,000 - $150,000 (Tuition, Textbooks, NCA Exams, Licensing, Accommodation, Travel) and 5 years (law school, NCAs, ) of hard work before you become a lawyer

Edited by defcon

2 hours ago, epeeist said:

[emphasis added]

As @inflex noted, not feeling there's much you can do with your current degree, or not liking your current job, or whatever, isn't a good reason to go to law school. It wouldn't be a good reason to go to law school in Canada, and it's not a good reason to go to law school overseas. It may very well be a good reason to look for other opportunities to work/study/intern/apprentice/whatever generally, and maybe law is one of those possibilities, but it's generally not a good idea to drift into law school (or a master's, or whatever), spending years and money, merely because you can't figure out what to do with your existing degree/life.

If you wanted to practice law, that would be a good reason to want to go to law school, and a good reason to investigate the UK if Canada not possible (not saying it would necessarily be a good reason to go, but at least to investigate and consider).

I submit that most Canadians who end up in Canadian law schools are there for these very reasons.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kcraigsejong said:

I submit that most Canadians who end up in Canadian law schools are there for these very reasons.

If so, I submit that most Canadians in Canadian law schools are there for inadequately reasoned reasons.

• Like 1

And I sur-reply that one is not in law school until one is actually in law school, no matter how much one tries to speculate about what it will be like and/or to to reason one's way out of it. This holds true for being an articled student, an associate, and, I suppose, a senior partner, and even for being a judge.

• Like 3

Went to law school because I had nothing better to do. It worked out fine. I think it would actually be worse if I went to change the world or help people or make partner money because of the inevitable disappointment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, PriyaChatha said:

Hi,

Hi there,

I'm not sure if your decision is a good idea. While you haven't told us if you have worked in a position where your degree lies, I suppose you haven't exactly tried to see if you like it. Note that what you've learned from your degree and what you practically do might be two different things. It's fair to think that you can't do much with your degree, but you didn't even give yourself a chance to try it out.

Just a word of caution for you: If you are planning to do a law degree mainly because of your employment prospects, I'm afraid you'd be very disappointed.

Not only is it difficult to find a position upon your return; you will face a number of obstacles that are extremely challenging. As others have mentioned, the job market is getting more and more restrictive with articling positions and you will be barred from several positions. With the ever-increasing number of Canadians heading for UK law schools, I can assure you that it's only going to get worse and you might find yourself in a serious dilemma, one that might put you in greater debt and a waste of two or three years of your life. 

If you are really serious about reading law, then by all means go for it. However, if you are only doing it because you feel that your undergraduate degree isn't offering much value, then I suggest you to reconsider your decision.

• Like 1