Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi friends,

I apologize if this post is a bit lengthy, but I need some advice in light of my circumstances.

I wrote the LSAT a couple of years ago a bit naive and unprepared, and ended up coming out with a 147. After getting cold feet with applications, and instead spending the last couple years in a Master's program, I've decided to take another shot at law school. I've completed applications, and though I've indicated on OLSAS that I intend to write the LSAT in both December and February, I was hoping I would score competitively enough in December that I'm not relying on a last-ditch effort in February. In the week leading up to the December exam, I had been scoring in the 157-161 range, and was feeling quite good that this score would at least keep me in the race until I can potentially improve in February. 

Anyhow, I had a setback during the December sitting that I'm worried has left me in a bad spot for my applications. To make a long story short, I came down with a case of the nerves, and by the time section 1 had started, I had to use the washroom so badly that I couldn't fully concentrate. This happened in spite of the fact that I had used the washroom just before being seated. After getting about halfway through the section, I put up my hand and tore off to the washroom, sacrificing a couple minutes before coming in and completing the remainder of the section - save for about 5 questions. While I didn't finish any shorter of the finish than I generally do in prep testing, I'm worried that my focus was compromised and that I perhaps got some of the questions I completed incorrect. I'm also worried that this affected my composure for the rest of the test.

I wondered about cancelling my score, but given that one of the four schools I have applied to does not accept an LSAT score later than December 2017, I'm worried that cancelling might leave me in a worse spot than otherwise (i.e. only reported score would be a 147). I'm afraid, however, that if this score does indeed come out poorly, I will be a write off should my application cross any desk before a February score is reported. I suppose my question is: am I better off cancelling and improving in February, or should I let the score stand, and run the risk of applying with two poor scores and a (hopefully) improved one? I am just uncertain of what kind of red flags are raised if I have a record of, say, 147, low-150s, and low-160s versus a record of just 147, and low-160s.

I hope I've articulated the situation and my questions clearly - any help would be deeply appreciated.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't cancel! You might end up cancelling a potentially great score. How you feel about it afterwards is really not correlated with score. I would continue studying for February if you think for sure you'll be retaking. Unless you think you misbubbled/guessed on half the questions, don't cancel. 

Also, I believe only Windsor will not take your February score. Ottawa will not necessarily wait for February's score either. But the majority of schools in Ontario will wait until February scores are released (if you've indicated you're re-writing in February), most schools don't send out regret decisions until late March/April. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you stated that you are taking the FEB LSAT, schools will wait for that score! Don't cancel, learn from the DEC LSAT and start studying now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't cancel the score! First, it could be a great score and you really can't know until you receive it back. Second, even if it's not what you're expecting, as PoisonApple said, if you indicate to schools that you're writing in February they will wait. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree - don't cancel! It's easy to feel like you messed up but maybe you will surprise yourself. Try to reflect how you did on each section individually without focusing on your section 1 washroom break. Ask yourself some of these questions when deciding: Did I finish the # of questions in x amount of time that I usually do? Did I misbubble? How did I feel about the sections after the 15 min break? Was I calm and focused on all other sections (excluding sec 1)?

It's pretty common to feel you did poorly and then when your score comes back, you may end up doing much better than anticipated (this happened to me). I can relate to your worry about having 1 low score - I had 1 pretty low score (many years ago) and then another more competitive score. I am hoping this will be the situation for you as well! Plus if you cancel, you will never know where you went wrong (if you did at all) and therefore might take on a study strategy for February that might not be helpful. I would suggest to not cancel! Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's really no benefit to cancelling if you're planning to write in Feb regardless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds more and more with each post in here that success on the LSAT correlates to bladder size/ability. There are aspects of practice that sometimes seem to as well, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×