BeltOfScotch

Do smaller cities w/law schools (ex. Kingston, London, Windsor) offer services for trans* students?

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with endocrinologists/other health professionals in these smaller areas, mostly in Ontario. Since they're so much smaller than Toronto and Montreal, do they actually have the ability to support trans students with their unique health needs?

All three of those cities have at least one large hospital so I would imagine that the necessary services could be found.

London is a city of 400k. It has a pretty good medical scene. I would say it has the best medical scene.

I can't speak as to whether London's scene is the most trans-friendly. It is a larger Canadian city with a good medical scene. It does have a trans health initiative though, so that means there are some staff that understand trans unique medical needs

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 7:40 PM, artsydork said:

London is a city of 400k. It has a pretty good medical scene. I would say it has the best medical scene.

I can't speak as to whether London's scene is the most trans-friendly. It is a larger Canadian city with a good medical scene. It does have a trans health initiative though, so that means there are some staff that understand trans unique medical needs

Thanks! I assumed London would be since it's certainly less centered around just the university (like Kingston is basically just the RMC, Queen's, and the federal civil service). Do you happen to know if Windsor has any good services for trans* people? UWindsor's focus on social justice certainly interests me (certainly due in part for how important trans* issues are to me). 

Edited by BeltOfScotch
correcting detail

11 hours ago, BeltOfScotch said:

Thanks! I assumed London would be since it's certainly less centered around just the university (like Kingston is basically just the RMC, Queen's, and the federal civil service). Do you happen to know if Windsor has any good services for trans* people? UWindsor's focus on social justice certainly interests me (certainly due in part for how important trans* issues are to me). 

My info on trans* health clinic stems from some conversations with colleagues while I was working in London. 

A quick google search found the Windsor clinic. I have no knowledge whatsoever so I can't comment on the services. It may be worthwhile to reach out to the Windsor Outlaw club so if they any of their members have any direct knowledge.

Windsor is more social justice oriented. There are students at Western with similar interests though. I befriended a couple of Western students who were in the Gender and Law club/ Outlaw groups. It's certainly not impossible. London also has Nicole Nussbaum (though she is on sabbatical in Toronto this year) who may be a lawyer that you might want to touch base with. She has been working on the Trans* legal projectfor a few years now.

I strongly recommend reaching out to Outlaw groups at the schools you are interested in. Unfortunately, our board has little direct knowledge in these matters and I can certainly appreciate how finding a good doctor ties into your decision about where you will ultimately attend.

• Like 1

For Kingston I've found these resource listings:

This is a reddit thread which I think is the most helpful thing I was able to find, it might be a good place to start:

This is a link to Queen's list of LGBTQ resources... which may or may not be helpful, but might be interesting?

http://www.queensu.ca/studentwellness/health-services/resources/community-resources/lgbtq

Anecdotally I do know a few people who have transitioned while living in Kingston, although I do not know if they had to go to Toronto or Ottawa for some or any of their health care. I do know that Kingston is often responsible for the healthcare of surrounding towns, and so it has medical resources to deal with that. 

Edited by CarrotSticks
Spelling :(
  • Like 2

I know this isn't related to your question, but just so you are aware - I've heard that there is a law prof at Queen's who is pretty trans-phobic and refuses to use students' preferred pronouns. I've only heard about this anecdotally though... someone who currently attends Queen's law would be able to give you a better idea of the situation.

• Sad 1