lazslo93

Mature Applicants Accepted/Rejected 2018

On 2/1/2018 at 6:52 AM, Adapt said:

I was just accepted to Ottawa yesterday as a mature student.

do you mind  share more of your status?

The University of Calgary doesn't have a mature student category however I thought I should mention that I was recently accepted and I am also a mature student. 

LSAT: 157

GPA: 3.2

8 years of work experience 

Extensive volunteer experience in the community. 

Completing my graduate degree in June (While working full time). 

• Like 4

Hey guys, I got an interview at Manitoba. Still have long odds, as someone else said elsewhere that they only let in 7 out-of-province out of the 30 interviewees, but in the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas - "So you're telling me there's a chance?"

OLSAS cGPA: 2.95
Manitoba GPA: ~3.3
LSAT: 159

Edited by lazslo93

On 1/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, lazslo93 said:

Lazy Sunday, just thought I'd drop this here for any mature students looking for mature students threads: 

Low cGPA:

Just following up... I did beat the odds and am at UBC now. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, although answers might be slow because of school.

Two things about admissions though:
1) If you're applying for a second time, it's better to ask the staff in Admissions for feedback and see how to make yourself more competitive.
2) Seconding benjuryon's post on the first page... if you only qualify for the discretionary category, you probably won't hear from UBC until May. Other "mature" students who are accepted before that likely got in through the regular category, so keep calm and wait on.

Good luck to you all!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tamago said:

Just following up... I did beat the odds and am at UBC now. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, although answers might be slow because of school.

Two things about admissions though:
1) If you're applying for a second time, it's better to ask the staff in Admissions for feedback and see how to make yourself more competitive.
2) Seconding benjuryon's post on the first page... if you only qualify for the discretionary category, you probably won't hear from UBC until May. Other "mature" students who are accepted before that likely got in through the regular category, so keep calm and wait on.

Good luck to you all!

Thanks Tamago! Super helpful to hear from people who have been through the process before - so many seem to have disappeared from the boards once they got their decision.

• Like 2

Keep the updates rolling while the rest of us cross our fingers! Anyone heard from Ottawa from the mature category other than Adapt?

• Like 2

On 12/12/2017 at 7:04 AM, Saywhatnow said:

Thanks for starting this! 

Question for mature Applicant:

I'm sitting at a 162 LSAT, terrible GPA, and good work experience. Will taking the February LSAT to improve (I believe I can improve 3+ points) delay the review of my application or will schools consider it with my current LSAT score. Do I have anything to lose writing in February as a mature student with a crappy GPA (ie no way to be accepted under regular category)? 

I'm in a similar boat as well. I don't think my GPA was particularly terrible but it is definitely on the lower side. And I don't think I was able to improve by much on my LSAT due to falling ill before the February exam.
I'm not sure if schools are waiting to hear the results of the last LSAT? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete all my applications well ahead of time and I'm concerned that I won't get any acceptances until a later stage due to this.

@Saywhatnow @CatticusFinch

Hey to help give you you some info, I am also in the same boat

I have talked to various law schools e.g. and  osgoode, and western told me they wish to wait on my file until my Feb lsat results come in, Ottawa and queens said it was not necessary but for Ottawa I've read on the forum they told others they would wait if you write feb so I'm not sure why theirs a contradiction there either my source was mistaken or the poster here was mistaken, or maybe policy changed. Windsor of course will review your file  without the Feb lsat

I havnt really pursued it that much with u of t but I think they will wait since they want to consider everything on file, ubc won't  even begin to consider discretionary until April most likely may, and  I have not pursued the matter with u of Saskatchewan

For some reference sake I'm sitting at a 3.61 olsas, 3.76 I think what was western told me for last 2, last time called queens they said 3.86 for last 2, Dec lsat was 160

Hope it helps give some insight, I think it could be  variable though because I've scanned the accepted and some schools did not wait for the Feb so maybe it varies file to file best to call the school tho 

• Like 2

Just got accepted at Windsor. Referred to adcomm January 26th

3.43 cGPA
3.65 L2

152, 158 

5 years experience as an entrepreneur and small business owner. Absolutely speechless right now, good luck everyone. 

• Like 7

I've found this thread helpful so I'm adding my 2 cents before going back to lurking.

Got offers from U of T and Osgoode back in early December. Haven't accepted any yet.

Would still like to hear back from Western and UBC. In hindsight should have just applied in the UBC "General" category ... missed the admit chances calculator.

Was a bit uneasy about not having any academic LORs. Seems that's not a real deal breaker though.

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 4

Nephren, mind sharing your stats? Congrats on your early acceptance, must have had very competitive stats for even the general admission!

Edited by TrqTTs

1 hour ago, TrqTTs said:

Nephren, mind sharing your stats? Congrats on your early acceptance, must have had very competitive stats for even the general admission!

164 one write. OLSAS GPA 3.9~.

• Like 1

I received an offer from Western this past Thursday.

I will accept! 

(153, 161 - 3.43 OLSAS GPA)

• Like 5

On 2/23/2018 at 5:39 PM, Nephren said:

I've found this thread helpful so I'm adding my 2 cents before going back to lurking.

Got offers from U of T and Osgoode back in early December. Haven't accepted any yet.

Would still like to hear back from Western and UBC. In hindsight should have just applied in the UBC "General" category ... missed the admit chances calculator.

Was a bit uneasy about not having any academic LORs. Seems that's not a real deal breaker though.

Good luck to everyone!

I've been told that if you are a competitive candidate who applies under the discretionary category, they will assess you under both the regular and discretionary categories... so you may get in sooner than you think :)

Edited by CatticusFinch

@Nephren @CatticusFinch this is true about ubc , just spoke to em and they said if your stats are competitive enough they will admit you in earlier via the regular stream otherwise they will forward you for discretionary application review and then also the possibility of waitlist 

Hey guys. Accepted to UNB this morning. REALLY surprised to hear before the Feb LSAT results are released, as I didn't think I had a chance anywhere with my current score (155).  3.0 CGPA, ~3.7 w/ drops, good references (including a lawyer with Order of Canada), strong PS I think, and extensive independent travel (as ECs?).  First acceptance... what a huge relief!

• Like 5

What's happening fam? 

Any acceptances/rejections/wait lists for mature students? 

I'm still waiting on all schools, but my Ottawa application went from 'Incomplete' to 'Under Evaluation' last week, so that's good news?