lazslo93

Mature Applicants Accepted/Rejected 2018

Just twice a day? I call that self control!

Ill be posting/shouting from the roof tops as soon as I hear (good) news.

I'm happy I am applying as a mature applicant though, it's the right time in my life to persue this.

@laszlo93

Edited by OldOne
Didn't notify original poster
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, lazslo93 said:

I'm personally sticking with my December score, whatever it turns out to be, just because I worry about being a part of the final group competing for only a handful of spots.

I do wonder though, if your existing LSAT score would be good enough to get you in anyway, would they accept you or do they hold off on reviewing your application all together until that final score comes in? I think I've read the former happen somewhere on this forum, but can't track it down right now.

This is what I'm concerned about... But if they aren't even accepting mature candidates (who don't have the numbers for auto admit/regular admit) will it really have a negative effect? It doesn't seem to be holding anything up if offers are coming in March / April anyway? I'm starting to think I have nothing to lose... Ahh... Just when I was thinking to sell my books! 

4 hours ago, Saywhatnow said:

This is what I'm concerned about... But if they aren't even accepting mature candidates (who don't have the numbers for auto admit/regular admit) will it really have a negative effect? It doesn't seem to be holding anything up if offers are coming in March / April anyway? I'm starting to think I have nothing to lose... Ahh... Just when I was thinking to sell my books! 

This thread seems to suggest that taking the February won't be an issue for you, that if your stats are good enough already they'll accept you. That being said, I don't know if that applies to mature candidates, where our whole application matters a little bit more: 

Edited by lazslo93

Lazy Sunday, just thought I'd drop this here for any mature students looking for mature students threads: 

General 2017:

General 2016:  

General 2009:

Osgoode 2015:

Osgoode 2014:

Western 2013:  

McGill 2010:

Sask 2010: 

Low cGPA:

Low stats:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't see this thread, so thanks for the bump. I'm a mature student as well and I guess I'll contribute.

I received offers from UofC and UBC in the middle of this month. Also applied to UofT, UWO and Ottawa, haven't heard from any of them yet.

Profile: Complicated GPA because it includes credits that are counted by some schools and not others...bad cGPA, worse OLSAS GPA, strong (not perfect but "graduation with distinction" level, at least) L2/B2 and either equally strong or meh L3/B3 depending on what credits are counted by a given school. 173 LSAT (only written once). I thought my work experience and ECs were pretty good until I looked around this forum, now I'm not so sure because it certainly appears that there are some very talented people in the pools. Also had an access/discretionary claim explaining the bad credits dragging down my cGPA.

If I were a betting man I'd say I expect to receive an offer from UWO but not UofT (they are done round 2 and include mature students in it) or Ottawa (cGPA school--I should have figured from the outset that this was out, but a friend gave me misleading advice).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Powerlevel said:

Didn't see this thread, so thanks for the bump. I'm a mature student as well and I guess I'll contribute.

I received offers from UofC and UBC in the middle of this month. Also applied to UofT, UWO and Ottawa, haven't heard from any of them yet.

Profile: Complicated GPA because it includes credits that are counted by some schools and not others...bad cGPA, worse OLSAS GPA, strong (not perfect but "graduation with distinction" level, at least) L2/B2 and either equally strong or meh L3/B3 depending on what credits are counted by a given school. 173 LSAT (only written once). I thought my work experience and ECs were pretty good until I looked around this forum, now I'm not so sure because it certainly appears that there are some very talented people in the pools. Also had an access/discretionary claim explaining the bad credits dragging down my cGPA.

If I were a betting man I'd say I expect to receive an offer from UWO but not UofT (they are done round 2 and include mature students in it) or Ottawa (cGPA school--I should have figured from the outset that this was out, but a friend gave me misleading advice).

Congrats, and that's a hell of an LSAT, which school are you leaning towards?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lazslo93 said:

Congrats, and that's a hell of an LSAT, well done. What school are you leaning towards? 

Thank you kindly. I'm having a hell of a time deciding at the moment, actually. I'll let you know when I figure that out, and in the meantime if you know anything that could help make my decision easier, I'm all ears. lol

And I may have spoken too soon about my Ottawa chances; was browsing the old mature threads you shared and mature students got in with worse OLSAS cGPAs (combined with worse LSAT scores) than I have. So thank you for sharing; that was quite informative.

Edited by Powerlevel

Yeah it seems you never really know for mature students. At the very least those threads just suggest that mature students can ignore the extremes in opinions - plenty of people with good stats get rejected and a good number with poor stats get in. 

As far as where to go? The common advice given around here seems to be to go to a school in the area you want to work, which makes sense - you develop the network you'll need for your career while in law school. UBC has a really nice campus and Vancouver's a pretty cool city if you can afford it, I'm living here now though and couldn't imagine trying to pay rent as a student.  

Edited by lazslo93
  • Like 1

The unknown and all this waiting is really starting to mess with my mind lol! From older threads it looks like Mature students may not hear until March, anyone have any further info?

I was just accepted to Ottawa yesterday as a mature student.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adapt said:

I was just accepted to Ottawa yesterday as a mature student.

Congrats my friend!!! I think maybe the first Mature accepted this cycle - at least on these threads! Mind sharing your stats?

EDIT: nevermind, they're on your previous post

Edited by proflucas
correction
  • Like 1

Accepted to TRU

3.43(according to OLSAS)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cari said:

Accepted to TRU

3.43(according to OLSAS)

Awesome, congratulations!

Accepted to UVIC GPA 3.13 (OLSAS) LSAT 164 (highest) - Discretionary/Mature applicant. Have professional mid-management experience + strong EC's.

Have until March 15th to accept, I plan on accepting.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 2