lazslo93

Mature Applicants Accepted/Rejected 2018

I wanted to recreate this thread, which I've seen done for past years - apologies in advance if it's already been started elsewhere. Hoping that a discussion here will give some indication of when schools are beginning to look at mature/access applicants and serve as a resource for future mature applicants. 

• Like 2

Well, I am a mature applicant, and so far my applications have been received, just as general applications have. Now I am just playing the waiting game.

Mature applicant. Admission from one of the schools I applied for so far and waiting on the rest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yww93 said:

Mature applicant. Admission from one of the schools I applied for so far and waiting on the rest.

Which school already offered admission?? (If you don't mind sharing) Congratulations!

4 hours ago, yww93 said:

That's incredible, congratulations! Would you be willing to divulge your stats?

On 11/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, OldOne said:

Which school already offered admission?? (If you don't mind sharing) Congratulations!

Thank you! It was UBC in mid November. However I applied through the regular category (they didn't have a mature category if I remembered correctly), so I don't know if this would count as a contribution to the thread. Best of luck with your applications! 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 1:42 AM, lazslo93 said:

That's incredible, congratulations! Would you be willing to divulge your stats?

Thanks! Six+ years work experience, undergraduate cGPA around 3.7, LSAT 154, 167. I also have a master's - GPA around 3.8. 

9 minutes ago, yww93 said:

Thank you! It was UBC in mid November. However I applied through the regular category (they didn't have a mature category if I remembered correctly), so I don't know if this would count as a contribution to the thread. Best of luck with your applications! 

That's awesome. Did you apply to any Ontario schools?

Mid November? UBC starts early!

I wish I heard something by now!

18 minutes ago, OldOne said:

That's awesome. Did you apply to any Ontario schools?

Mid November? UBC starts early!

I wish I heard something by now!

Yep I applied to a couple in Ontario. No news on those yet. Any idea if they will start processing applications in all categories at the same time? Fingers crossed for all of us!

2 hours ago, yww93 said:

Yep I applied to a couple in Ontario. No news on those yet. Any idea if they will start processing applications in all categories at the same time? Fingers crossed for all of us!

Don't know if mature category is reviewed separate from the general. I'd hope its all at the same time.

Rumor on this forum is that Osgoode will start with offers tomorrow. Hope so!

• Like 1

I don't know about other schools but I can categorically say UBC does not look at the discretionary category until May.

1 hour ago, OldOne said:

Don't know if mature category is reviewed separate from the general. I'd hope its all at the same time.

Rumor on this forum is that Osgoode will start with offers tomorrow. Hope so!

From digging through old posts I haven't seen any officially mature students getting accepted before late February. I could be wrong, but it seems that the mature applications are dealt with as an entirely separate phase of the admission process.

• Sad 2

Thanks for starting this! 

Question for mature Applicant:

I'm sitting at a 162 LSAT, terrible GPA, and good work experience. Will taking the February LSAT to improve (I believe I can improve 3+ points) delay the review of my application or will schools consider it with my current LSAT score. Do I have anything to lose writing in February as a mature student with a crappy GPA (ie no way to be accepted under regular category)? 

1 hour ago, Saywhatnow said:

I'm sitting at a 162 LSAT, terrible GPA, and good work experience. Will taking the February LSAT to improve (I believe I can improve 3+ points) delay the review of my application or will schools consider it with my current LSAT score. Do I have anything to lose writing in February as a mature student with a crappy GPA (ie no way to be accepted under regular category)? 

I'm in a similar boat as you. Where did you apply? Still waiting to hear back too?

Nothing yet... Really wasn't expecting anything until the spring but then came here and saw all these accepted posts and hope creeped in :rolleyes:

I applied everywhere in Ontario except Windsor and Lakehead. Yourself? 

2 minutes ago, Saywhatnow said:

Nothing yet... Really wasn't expecting anything until the spring but then came here and saw all these accepted posts and hope creeped in 

I applied everywhere in Ontario except Windsor and Lakehead. Yourself? 

Osgoode, UofT (because I believe in miracles) and Lakehead.

I knew my GPA wasn't the greatest..at the time I never thought I would be applying to law school plus I went through crap that affected my studies.  I quickly touched base on why that may be (GPA) ...but I didn't give a sob story either. Hoping that my work experience would be more important. However, I now sit here freaking out because I haven't heard anything yet.

12 minutes ago, OldOne said:

Osgoode, UofT (because I believe in miracles) and Lakehead.

I knew my GPA wasn't the greatest..at the time I never thought I would be applying to law school plus I went through crap that affected my studies.  I quickly touched base on why that may be (GPA) ...but I didn't give a sob story either. Hoping that my work experience would be more important. However, I now sit here freaking out because I haven't heard anything yet.

I wouldn't freak out yet. I don't think the vast majority of regular applicants have heard back from anyone yet, seems like it's only the automatics who have been offered admission so far (~3.8+ GPA and 165+ LSAT). 

With some neurotic digging I have found some officially mature applicants accepted in December, but they all seemed to be ones who would be easily accepted in the regular category.

I think I'd only start worrying if you haven't heard back by May-June. They generally get to us old timers last, from what I've seen.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saywhatnow said:

I'm personally sticking with my December score, whatever it turns out to be, just because I worry about being a part of the final group competing for only a handful of spots.

I do wonder though, if your existing LSAT score would be good enough to get you in anyway, would they accept you or do they hold off on reviewing your application all together until that final score comes in? I think I've read the former happen somewhere on this forum, but can't track it down right now.

4 minutes ago, lazslo93 said:

I wouldn't freak out yet. I don't think the vast majority of regular applicants have heard back from anyone yet, seems like it's only the automatics who have been offered admission so far (~3.8+ GPA and 165+ LSAT). 

With some neurotic digging I have found some officially mature applicants accepted in December, but they all seemed to be ones who would be easily accepted in the regular category.

I think I'd only start worrying if you haven't heard back by May-June. They generally get to us old timers last, from what I've seen.

Thanks! It's great to get reassurance like this. My worries are definitely exacerbated by the fact that I've seen mature applicants being accepted already. 

Doesn't help that I submitted my application not too longer after applications opened up in August. I was so excited to be (potentially) going back to school!

9 minutes ago, OldOne said:

Thanks! It's great to get reassurance like this. My worries are definitely exacerbated by the fact that I've seen mature applicants being accepted already. 

Doesn't help that I submitted my application not too longer after applications opened up in August. I was so excited to be (potentially) going back to school!

I share your excitement and nerves! I'm a seriously borderline candidate, especially if my LSAT doesn't improve. It's certainly easy to tell others that they can relax but I still refresh all of the application sites twice per day, even though I know my best bet is to get in via waiting list in June :)

I applied to eight schools, including Osgoode, so I'll be sure to post the moment I hear anything, rejection or acceptance.

Edited by lazslo93
Clarification