lau

Accepted to Calgary 2018

Yay! I just got an acceptance email.

163 lsat, 3.7 l2, mediocre ECs and PS and some irrelevant work experience. 

Now to choose between U of A and U of C....

3 hours ago, 420 said:

Yay! I just got an acceptance email.

163 lsat, 3.7 l2, mediocre ECs and PS and some irrelevant work experience. 

Now to choose between U of A and U of C....

It's warmer down here!

2 hours ago, ImposterSyndrome said:

It's warmer down here!

Honestly if it wasn't for the climate difference I would be strongly leaning towards U of A instead of being completely torn as I currently am. I only have til the end of the month to decide! 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, 420 said:

Honestly if it wasn't for the climate difference I would be strongly leaning towards U of A instead of being completely torn as I currently am. I only have til the end of the month to decide! 

Are you from the province? If so, my advice would be to make your decision based on which city you hope to practice in or near. It will help you out with networking and make it easier to get to interviews. I got into the University of Calgary and University of Alberta. I ultimately chose Calgary, as I plan on working here, and am grateful I never had to drive/fly to any interviews.

If you are from out of province, and have no intentions of staying here then you'll have to consider other factors.

Edited by Huxlei

Accepted 2 Days ago on April 19th after being on the waitlist since Feb 22nd! 

CGPA: 3.44

L2: 3.57

LSAT: 160

Good ECs, Good PS, Decent References, Diversity

On 4/19/2018 at 8:20 PM, 420 said:

I should say, then, that I don't actually think climate should be a considerable reason to choose a school for. Rather, as much as novel deciding factors like 'better climate', 'living by the coast', or 'getting to move to a new place' are appealing, I've come to learn that in actuality you'll be much happier going to a school you decided on because of factors such as 'proximity to your support network', 'hiring rates for where you want to live post-graduation', and 'cost' which will have far more affect on your success in law school and your confidence while you're there.

So if climate is the only consideration that makes you want to go to UofC, I think you should bite the bullet and brave the only slightly colder climate of Edmonton. Plus its not like Calgary is so much warmer that you'll get to have a radically different experience as though it was L.A. versus Edmonton.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2018 at 10:48 PM, ImposterSyndrome said:

I should say, then, that I don't actually think climate should be a considerable reason to choose a school for. Rather, as much as novel deciding factors like 'better climate', 'living by the coast', or 'getting to move to a new place' are appealing, I've come to learn that in actuality you'll be much happier going to a school you decided on because of factors such as 'proximity to your support network', 'hiring rates for where you want to live post-graduation', and 'cost' which will have far more affect on your success in law school and your confidence while you're there.

So if climate is the only consideration that makes you want to go to UofC, I think you should bite the bullet and brave the only slightly colder climate of Edmonton. Plus its not like Calgary is so much warmer that you'll get to have a radically different experience as though it was L.A. versus Edmonton.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, the climate isn't the biggest factor for me. I want to live and work in either Calgary or Vancouver because I have family in both cities. Not Edmonton. I understand that if I want to practice in BC (UBC/UVIC aren't an option for me) U of A is the better choice. So is it worth going to Edmonton and networking out there even though I have no intention of staying there? Or should I go to Calgary where there is a fairly good chance I might stay there. 

I'm probably going to end up attending U of A because the tuition and cost of living are cheaper and I'm paying for school myself.

1 hour ago, 420 said:

Thanks for the input. Yeah, the climate isn't the biggest factor for me. I want to live and work in either Calgary or Vancouver because I have family in both cities. Not Edmonton. I understand that if I want to practice in BC (UBC/UVIC aren't an option for me) U of A is the better choice. So is it worth going to Edmonton and networking out there even though I have no intention of staying there? Or should I go to Calgary where there is a fairly good chance I might stay there. 

I'm probably going to end up attending U of A because the tuition and cost of living are cheaper and I'm paying for school myself.

I can't argue with cost. If UofA is more affordable and that is a real concern for you than maybe you should go there. 

Keep in mind things like practicality though. If you want to practice in Vancouver or Calgary then in Edmonton (from what I've heard, I'm a 0L too) you will invariable take summer and articling positions in either of those cities. This means a bit of moving and moving is a hassle and not cost free, not withstanding that most leases are yearly unless you go on residence. Where as at UofC, there's a lot less moving around needed to do should you happen to stay.

Also try asking for recruiting rates from both universities by destination cities. Maybe more UofC grads go to Vancouver than you expect or the difference is less than you expected.

Lastly, you could ask recruiters and larger law firms in Vancouver how many of their hirees are from Calgary versus from edmonton. Maybe there are a lot of articling students or younger associates who are more likely to move in one city than another.

Hope this helps you choose!

• Thanks 1

I ended up choosing U of A. It was a difficult decision but I'm happy with it! One more open spot at U of C for y'all.

• Like 2

Accepted back in January.

cgpa: 3.61

lsat: 157

Accepted and paid the deposit, however looking to withdraw because I got into my number one choice a couple days ago. Does anyone know how to go about this? I'm over the fact that I just burned $500 lol but I just want to let them know soon so maybe it can free up a spot. 

6 hours ago, levi55 said:

Accepted and paid the deposit, however looking to withdraw because I got into my number one choice a couple days ago. Does anyone know how to go about this? I'm over the fact that I just burned $500 lol but I just want to let them know soon so maybe it can free up a spot. 

@UofC Admissions 

Likely you can just send an email to let them know. I have tagged Malina to assist you. 

On 5/3/2018 at 3:10 PM, levi55 said:

18 hours ago, Iheartcats said:

@UofC Admissions 

Likely you can just send an email to let them know. I have tagged Malina to assist you. 

Yes, this is correct: just send an email to let us know.

Cheers!

Malina

On 4/30/2018 at 11:02 PM, 420 said:

I ended up choosing U of A. It was a difficult decision but I'm happy with it! One more open spot at U of C for y'all.

I was in your exact same position from what I can gather (where I want to practice, tuition, climate) and I also chose the U of A.  Plus, I am already in Edmonton (I don't think you are) and I didn't see an obvious reason in uprooting myself from my support systems.

Anyway, I'm excited to meet you, and everyone else in the fall  

• Like 1

Accepted today :)

GPA from my first undergrad was 78%. Second is 3.98. 

LSAT: 164

ECs: Lab assistance while in undergrad as well as part time work in service. After undergrad was mostly helping roles: crisis centre, advocacy with the MS Society, and psychometry. 

I will likely decline my offer. 

In Today

GPA 4.00 (U.S. Degree)

LSAT: 153 (June), 163 (September)

EC: couple small things, nothing special. 

• Like 1

Accepted off waitlist!

cGPA - 3.08

L2- 3.35 (self calculated)

LSAT - 159 , 159, 163

Good EC's and references.

Got accepted into Sask and paid the deposit and registered for residence but this changes everything!! Will likely be accepting at Calgary ( I want to work here + I live here). I guess I will be forfeiting a ton of cash to Sask.

Best of luck to everyone else!

• Like 5

Accepted off the waitlist on Friday.

3.84 GPA, 156/152 LSAT. Solid extra curriculars: spent the last two years working at an immigration non-for-profit, and worked as a research assistant for a summer with a prof in undergrad.

Already accepted and paid the deposit. Calgary is my first choice, so to say I'm pretty stoked would be an understatement!

• Like 7

Going to be emailing in to withdraw my acceptance as I have been accepted by my dream law school! Hopefully, this frees up a space for someone on this forum :) Wish you all the best!

• Like 4