Richey

Should you go to law school?

2 hours ago, Jaggers said:

6o hours a week is not masochistic. 80 or more is masochistic. 60 is the baseline.

"That is a flagrant falsehood," he wrote at 1:55 AM from his office on a Friday morning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BayStreetOrBust said:

Sooooo.... what if my fantasy is slaving away 60 hours a week on Bay? I'm a bit of a masochist, I know

That is a fantasy.  

9 hours ago, BayStreetOrBust said:

Sooooo.... what if my fantasy is slaving away 60 hours a week on Bay? I'm a bit of a masochist, I know

Oh sweet summer child, even us bumpkins on the east coast wouldn't hit our targets working 60 hours a week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jaggers said:

6o hours a week is not masochistic. 80 or more is masochistic. 60 is the baseline.

And if you're lucky or unlucky enough that your practice requires travel there will be weeks when you are on every minute of every day except when you crash for the night. Welcome to 100 hour weeks. 

Yeah - 60 hours a week is 10 hours 6 days a week and one day off. That's a pretty typical week for my BF - start around 7.30 or 8, finish around 7 or 8 but he's had lunch or stepped out for a bit in there, go in on Saturday - maybe a bit less hours that day. It can get a lot worse! 

If I think about it I probably work 60 fairly often myself if I count the work I bring home and the emails/calls I answer after hours. 

*Edit: and he works a lot less hours than the associates/students he pawns stuff off on. When he's not working and we're hanging out, they're emailing him work or calling with questions......

Edited by providence

44 minutes ago, providence said:

Yeah - 60 hours a week is 10 hours 6 days a week and one day off. That's a pretty typical week for my BF - start around 7.30 or 8, finish around 7 or 8 but he's had lunch or stepped out for a bit in there, go in on Saturday - maybe a bit less hours that day. It can get a lot worse! 

If I think about it I probably work 60 fairly often myself if I count the work I bring home and the emails/calls I answer after hours. 

*Edit: and he works a lot less hours than the associates/students he pawns stuff off on. When he's not working and we're hanging out, they're emailing him work or calling with questions......

That's the thing, isn't it. The notion that working long hours in law is the sole domain of the biglaw lawyers is rather mistaken.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maximumbob said:

That's the thing, isn't it. The notion that working long hours in law is the sole domain of the biglaw lawyers is rather mistaken.  

Yeah. The only difference is that I control mine a bit more, apart from court dates of course. I can work at home or wherever I want as long as the factum gets written. And associates are on salary whereas if I work more, I make more.

(I know though some associates have bonuses, etc)

Edited by providence

I probably worked 50-60 hours more commonly than I worked 70-80. But yeah, with taking work home, responding to emails, etc. you'd expect 60 to be pretty normal.

Now I do 40-45 almost without exception. Life is good :)

I work for a provincial gov.  37 hrs a week, earning between 90 and 100 G.   Overtime maybe once or twice a year if that,  All the gov perks.  I really liked my job but after reading the last few posts, I love it! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jaggers said:

I probably worked 50-60 hours more commonly than I worked 70-80. But yeah, with taking work home, responding to emails, etc. you'd expect 60 to be pretty normal.

Now I do 40-45 almost without exception. Life is good :)

Teach me your ways. 

9 hours ago, whoknows said:

Teach me your ways. 

Work long hours in biglaw for a while, then cruise into the in-house lifestyle.  

• Like 1

Certain in-house lifestyles.  (I know you know this, but for the general audience.)

Both the sweetest, slackest law jobs and the hardest, most high-pressure law jobs I've ever seen were in-house positions.

On 12/9/2017 at 3:30 PM, Uriel said:

Certain in-house lifestyles.  (I know you know this, but for the general audience.)

Both the sweetest, slackest law jobs and the hardest, most high-pressure law jobs I've ever seen were in-house positions.

What are the hard, high-pressure ones?