jellybean25

Advice on my personal journey to law school

Hello,

I have a cGPA of roughly 2.7 (thats a low estimate, for some schools the CGPA might be a 2.8/2.9) from York U, Hons BA, (CSC too from my time in banking), licensed Paralegal, law school was always the plan. Reason for the cGPA being so low was a lawsuit where i got hit by a car crossing the street in the summer right before I first started university... the lawsuit dragged on throughout all of university, long and short of it is I suffered from physical/psychological impacts. What are my chances of getting into which schools, schools close to and on the opposite side of our Canadian border are also a possibility. I have just been licensed as a paralegal, and want to go to law school because paralegals are limited in what type of law they can practise alone in regards to IP law (I even have some professional experience with SDA's).  Paralegals are not allowed to practise in that law by themselves, unless of course with a lawyer. So once again, my question is what are my chances of getting into which schools, and schools close to and on the opposite side of our Canadian border are also a possibility. (I currently have no debt, and 20k CAD saved up). Thank you everyone in advance. 

My best,

Jellybean25.

First write the LSAT and see if you can score very well, you'll need to score very high given your cGPA. However, you can definitely apply in the access category, which should allow for some lower stats. Not sure if your cGPA is too low for that though.

Personally i'd recommend going back to York and taking some courses to try and boost your cGPA and maybe your L2 (not sure if it'll count since its after your degree).

17 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Convert your York U grade using OLSAS basis.

you may end up with lower cGPA

That is my OLSAS estimate per their site.

25 minutes ago, bfaveri said:

First write the LSAT and see if you can score very well, you'll need to score very high given your cGPA. However, you can definitely apply in the access category, which should allow for some lower stats. Not sure if your cGPA is too low for that though.

Personally i'd recommend going back to York and taking some courses to try and boost your cGPA and maybe your L2 (not sure if it'll count since its after your degree).

No you cant change the cGPA of your degree, my 2.7 is based off of OLSAS, for york u in relation to the OLSAS chart I should be 3.0, I have a B for York's standard, but Im saying 2.7 because for other schools.. york's B on the OLSAS chart is a 2.7

If you want to work in Canada apply to law school in Canada. The cross border plan is not a good idea. Apply everywhere in Canada first - all our schools are good schools, unlike our Southern neighbours  

Do you show an upward trend in your grades? The lawsuit is potentially a compelling reason for law schools to consider you under their discretionary category but at the end of the day they need to believe you will actually do well once you are IN law school. 

Another way to try to make the case for your admittance is to score very well on the LSAT. Take a practise test under timed conditions and have a friend mark your results so you aren’t tempted to pretend you “meant” to mark the correct answer. The resultant score will give you a better idea of your road ahead. If you score very well indeed you might have a shot.