kimchis

Summer courses to raise GPA?

I'm in my 2nd year of undergrad as of right now and my GPA is not the most competitive due to personal reasons back in first year. I was thinking of doing summer courses to boost my GPA. Do law schools frown upon summer courses? Well first, do they even take this into consideration? Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, kimchis said:

I'm in my 2nd year of undergrad as of right now and my GPA is not the most competitive due to personal reasons back in first year. I was thinking of doing summer courses to boost my GPA. Do law schools frown upon summer courses? Well first, do they even take this into consideration? Thank you in advance!

Some schools won't even take them into consideration so I'd do your homework before throwing $600 at a course you don't need. But if they do accept summer courses then I doubt that they'd frown upon them. 

However, considering that you're only in second year I wouldn't be too concerned about a rocky first year. Many law schools only consider the last two years of your undergrad, some the best three years. Either way you have the opportunity to pull up your socks and have a solid GPA in their eyes. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kimchis said:

Don't be discouraged. I had a 3.0 in first year but a 3.8 in second and a 3.9 in third. Currently on track for a 3.9 this year (4th and final year). You can always bounce back. Sure, my cGPA is still suffering from first year, but as the person above me mentioned, lots of schools look at B2, L2, B3, etc. I wouldn't worry about summer courses just yet. Good luck!

Edit - when I said 3.9 this year, I meant this semester. But obviously planning on maintaining that in the winter semester as well. 

Edited by Nabbo
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 12:06 AM, crh20 said:

Some schools won't even take them into consideration so I'd do your homework before throwing $600 at a course you don't need. But if they do accept summer courses then I doubt that they'd frown upon them. 

However, considering that you're only in second year I wouldn't be too concerned about a rocky first year. Many law schools only consider the last two years of your undergrad, some the best three years. Either way you have the opportunity to pull up your socks and have a solid GPA in their eyes. 

Thank you! I know UofT doesn't look at them but I wasn't sure about the others. That's very comforting to hear. I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and everyone's really high cGPA made me soooo worried about my crappy first year GPA. So far, I've improved TREMENDOUSLY from first year and I intend to keep it up until fourth year. Thanks again!

On 11/20/2017 at 11:49 AM, Nabbo said:

Don't be discouraged. I had a 3.0 in first year but a 3.8 in second and a 3.9 in third. Currently on track for a 3.9 this year (4th and final year). You can always bounce back. Sure, my cGPA is still suffering from first year, but as the person above me mentioned, lots of schools look at B2, L2, B3, etc. I wouldn't worry about summer courses just yet. Good luck!

Edit - when I said 3.9 this year, I meant this semester. But obviously planning on maintaining that in the winter semester as well. 

Thank you! I'm certainly not after the responses. Unfortunately my first year GPA was lower than 3.0 :( I've improved LOTS since then though. If you don't mind me asking, was there a particular reason for the 3.0? I had to work first year for financial reasons but I'm not sure if my situation is special enough for "special consideration." By special consideration I don't really mean that but I know some law applications give space for letting the committee know if there was any reason why your GPA for a certain time or so is low. I know others have had mental illnesses affect their GPA and they've included that in their personal statements. I'm saying this because I'm debating whether or not to do the same although my circumstances were not as extreme as those I've seen from lurking on this forum.

I’m always mystified by people saying they “had to work for financial reasons” to excuse poor grades. Don’t most undergrads work while studying due to financial reasons? I didn’t know many people who didn’t work during university. I can’t speak for the admissions people at law schools, but I would assume most people are working in undergrad except the very few born with silver spoons. I had full scholarships and I still worked.

So no, I wouldn’t use that as an excuse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, providence said:

I’m always mystified by people saying they “had to work for financial reasons” to excuse poor grades. Don’t most undergrads work while studying due to financial reasons? 

Way too many applicants make excuses for poor grades. I wish people would just take responsibility for it and instead focus on what they did to turn it around and do better later on. 

Plus it’s not fair to those who have a legit reason why their grades slipped somewhere along the line, like they had straight A’s every semester except for second semester third year when their mom died and they slipped to straight Cs. I bet adcoms do a lot of cringing when going through all the apps asking for special consideration for a bad year or two (or four). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DenningsSkiTrip said:

Way too many applicants make excuses for poor grades. I wish people would just take responsibility for it and instead focus on what they did to turn it around and do better later on. 

Plus it’s not fair to those who have a legit reason why their grades slipped somewhere along the line, like they had straight A’s every semester except for second semester third year when their mom died and they slipped to straight Cs. I bet adcoms do a lot of cringing when going through all the apps asking for special consideration for a bad year or two (or four). 

Adcoms are probably pretty good at separating legit issues from BS. They probably just roll their eyes and say “Another one blaming working.” 

They can spot an upward trend in your marks, so just tell them you got more focussed or started working harder or figured something out that confused you before and you’re good.

1 hour ago, providence said:

Don’t most undergrads work while studying due to financial reasons? I didn’t know many people who didn’t work during university. I can’t speak for the admissions people at law schools, but I would assume most people are working in undergrad except the very few born with silver spoons.

I think it depends on the type of school you go to. In a commuter school like York, Ryerson or even UofT I think there would be a higher proportion of working-students. I go to Western and I'd say 75% of the students here don't work, possibly more.

1 hour ago, DenningsSkiTrip said:

58 minutes ago, providence said:

Adcoms are probably pretty good at separating legit issues from BS. They probably just roll their eyes and say “Another one blaming working.” 

They can spot an upward trend in your marks, so just tell them you got more focussed or started working harder or figured something out that confused you before and you’re good.

Strongly agree. I had a shit first year because of an undiagnosed mental health issue. But I took some time off, got my shit together, and performed very well in years 2 and 3. As such, I just didn't feel right about applying access even though I probably could have given the extensive documentation my doctors would have in my file. I think that too many people try to game the system, trying to claim anything they can to either a) get extra time on the LSAT or b) apply in the pool with lower standards. It's unfair, and should be solely reserved for people who actually need it. 

7 hours ago, providence said:

Yeah I certainly am not going to apply for access. My circumstances are so far than those who deserve it. I was just wondering if I should bring it up in my application that the dip in my first year marks were because of work. That being said, by no means am I going to make my entire application a "I was working so my first year marks were bad please excuse me" but should I briefly mention it? I went to an admissions thing for UofT a few weeks back and they mentioned they have a space in the app for this kind of thing so I wanted to know if it wise to mention it. So far, I'm expecting more or less 3.8 for my half year courses and my other courses are doing just as well so I've definitely gotten it together.