Jump to content
bobbyflem

Lowest LSAT for a realistic shot...

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm registered to write the LSAT in December (just a couple weeks..ahhh!) and I doubt I'll get a good enough score for admission anywhere (probably a 150 at best). I'm also registered for Feb's writing.

 

My current situation:

Currently working on a M.Ed with a FT job.

Undergrad B2/L2: 3.8

CGPA: 3.39/4.33

Admissions GPA for UNB (best 75% of classes) is 3.72/4.33.

 

I'm from BC - no Atlantic connection whatsoever aside from a couple friends in NL.

What do you think the minimum LSAT score I'll need is for admission to UNB in Sept 2018? Any encouragement is greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people on this forum encourage shooting for 160+.  UNB's LSAT averages tend to be a little lower at about 158 (as far as I know).  But truthfully you never know, with your softs and personal statement etc.  You seem to have a good average, study as much as you can and kill December and February! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're gonna need at least a 155 to get you on the borderline for a late-wave acceptance (March-April).  155 is very do-able though if you are scoring 150 right now. What is your weakest part of the LSAT? Try to be strategic with your preparation now in the final weeks.

Also, I would recommend applying to U Sask. They take B2 (3.8 for you) which is a better GPA than UNB's calculation for you (3.72), so that is a big help. Plus, you can write the Feb LSAT for both of these schools too. Don't freak out if you don't do well in December, take it as a learning experience and apply everything you learned toward your Feb LSAT.

E.g. I was PTing around 160 consistently, but shit the bed BIG TIME in September with a 152. I was totally nervous and ran out of time for 3 of the 5 sections. Brutal. But, I'm writing again in December and after having had that bit of experience, I'm confident I won't make the same mistakes. Keep your eye on February if you have to. It's gonna take hard work but if you really want this, you can do it. Good luck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice! I'm definitely NOT scoring 150 right now; probably closer to 145. But like you said, I think that with some hard work, 155+ is totally doable by Feb. I'll definitely be using the Dec test as an experience - I was able to write the digital LSAT a few weeks back, so my fees are waived for one of my writings.

I'll be applying to USask and UNB; hopefully I get into one of them! Thanks for the encouragement :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Strictly80sJoel said:

where did you find the best 75% of classes stat?

It says on their website that they drop the lowest 25% of your grades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bobbyflem said:

It says on their website that they drop the lowest 25% of your grades. 

My bad. I thought you were saying that the average GPA for the top 75% of students admitted was 3.72.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, proflucas said:

You're gonna need at least a 155 to get you on the borderline for a late-wave acceptance (March-April).  155 is very do-able though if you are scoring 150 right now. What is your weakest part of the LSAT? Try to be strategic with your preparation now in the final weeks.

Also, I would recommend applying to U Sask. They take B2 (3.8 for you) which is a better GPA than UNB's calculation for you (3.72), so that is a big help. Plus, you can write the Feb LSAT for both of these schools too. Don't freak out if you don't do well in December, take it as a learning experience and apply everything you learned toward your Feb LSAT.

E.g. I was PTing around 160 consistently, but shit the bed BIG TIME in September with a 152. I was totally nervous and ran out of time for 3 of the 5 sections. Brutal. But, I'm writing again in December and after having had that bit of experience, I'm confident I won't make the same mistakes. Keep your eye on February if you have to. It's gonna take hard work but if you really want this, you can do it. Good luck.

My worst is definitely RC...but I know that I'll be able to squeeze a good number of points out of LR and LG if I'm diligent and work hard. Right now I'm getting -9 or -10 on the LR section during timed sections. I'm confident that I'll be able to get that number to -4 to -6 per section by Feb. Same goes for LG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bobbyflem said:

My worst is definitely RC...but I know that I'll be able to squeeze a good number of points out of LR and LG if I'm diligent and work hard. Right now I'm getting -9 or -10 on the LR section during timed sections. I'm confident that I'll be able to get that number to -4 to -6 per section by Feb. Same goes for LG.

For RC, I've found that BRIEFLY skimming (like 25 seconds) the questions before you read the passage can help a lot. If there's a question that says "When the author states ___ in Line 24-26, they probably mean....", you can leave a quick  mark at line 24-26 and have it for reference. If it mentions the last paragraph, do the the same. If it mentions a particular word in one of the passages, write that word beside the reading passage and circle it when you get to it.

For me, I find that this really helps. It helps prime myself for the passage, and gives me some context to what I'm about to read. Everyone is different though and I've heard for others it's not a good strategy. But if you're weakest section is RC, it's worth experimenting with.

EDIT: *and when I say briefly skim, I mean just skimming the questions for ALL of the Qs, not the questions and the possible answers to each one. That's way too much wasted time and totally unnecessary.

Edited by proflucas
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×