lau

How many schools are you applying to and why?

5 hours ago, Abii said:

Thanks. Yeah, today I was thinking and one thing I hated about undergrad was the small university that I attended. U of A is the flagship uni. in AB so that's another point for the school. The River Valley is definitely gorgeous. Looking forward to spending the next summer there. 

Definitely leaning towards U of A now. 

That said, Calgary seems to have the bulk of the jobs in the province (based on some anecdotal Google evidence). Indeed.ca has twice as many ads in Calgary compared to Edmonton. But I guess that part doesn't matter. We can always move for a job. 

Calgary is a much stronger legal market. It is also a better city. If you have a choice attend the U of C. Won't be able to get back the 3 years you spent in Edmonton. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Constant said:

Calgary is a much stronger legal market. It is also a better city. If you have a choice attend the U of C. Won't be able to get back the 3 years you spent in Edmonton. 

Thanks for the tip. I'm still waiting to hear back from Calgary. Have until March 31st to accept the Alberta offer so it might be prudent to wait. Some days, like yesterday, I get antsy and just want to accept the Alberta offer. But maybe it's better to wait. 

In no particular order; Osgoode, Queens, Windsor, Ottawa, U of T, Lakehead.

I did not apply to Western because I could only afford to apply to so many at the time. U of T is on the list because they waived their application fee, though I am certain I will not be accepted there with my stats. 

My reason for applying for these schools is two-fold. First is the cost of applications, I didn't exactly have 1000 to dump on applications at the time. Second, I wanted to maximize my chances of actually getting into law school. I am not picky about where I work or what school I go to. While this may be perceived by others as being poorly planned (and they'd be right to think so), it has been my experience that planning too far ahead has resulted in catastrophe. My current goal is to simply get into law school, and from there discern what the best route for me is. As it stands, I have an affinity for family and contract law. But that could change in the future. 

Tl;dr- I applied to those schools because the privilege of going to any law school is enough for me

I only applied to McGill, because that's the law school that I want to go to and I was pretty confident in my chances of getting in. Luckily, I heard back last week!