lau

How many schools are you applying to and why?

1 minute ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Ugh I was that guy at a bar during O-week. Talking to the young women and figured they must have been from Osgoode too, since who in their right mind goes out on a Tuesday? So I ask what section they’re in and they’re all confused, so I say “Oh, you don’t go to Osgoode, my bad!” Needless to say they recognize the name and I’m that guy.

Felt gross after. 

That's not so bad. 

The worst I've seen is when a waitress comes to the table and asks for IDs, one girl says: "Oh! We don't usually get ID'd, because now that we're in law school people know we're of age."

Got chills from the inherent douchiness of that. Also, it made no sense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

That's not so bad. 

The worst I've seen is when a waitress comes to the table and asks for IDs, one girl says: "Oh! We don't usually get ID'd, because now that we're in law school people know we're of age."

Got chills from the inherent douchiness of that. Also, it made no sense.

I would have loved to ask how they got into law school at all with that logic.

• Like 3

I think Binnie has the right to feel however he or she wants to feel. This site gets so bent out of shape when someone admits that they value prestige and want to attend a school THAT THEY FEEL (and I guess those in their immediate circle feel) is prestigious.  

It may or not matter in the legal community but if someone derives some benefit  from attending a school they feel good about what does it matter? 

Edited by healthlaw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, healthlaw said:

I think Binnie has the right to feel however he or she wants to feel. This site gets so bent out of shape when someone admits that they value prestige and want to attend a school THAT THEY FEEL (and I guess those in their immediate circle feel) is prestigious.  

It may or not matter in the legal community but if someone derives some benefit  from attending a school they feel good about what does it matter? 

To be fair, Binnie started this all off by saying that Erin was "100% wrong," and that "100% of people care" about prestige. If you're going to make an incredibly bold statement like that, can you really not expect people to call you out on it? You're entitled to feel however you want on anything. It doesn't make you right.

As well, and I'm not pointing this at Binnie, just at your comment: I think there can also be a fine line between feeling good about where you went to school, and looking down on where others went to school because of some idea of prestige, which is clearly not as evident in Canada as it is in the US. 

1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I would have loved to ask how they got into law school at all with that logic.

I still get asked for ID once in a while and I’ve been out of law school for almost a decade. I either take it as a compliment or people trying to flatter me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, healthlaw said:

If that’s how they feel, no problem. But when they assume everyone else feels that way or should feel that way or judge others for where they went to school, that’s more of a problem. And if they influence other people into spending money they don’t have or developing unrealistic expectations, that’s also a problem.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, healthlaw said:

I think they have the right to feel how they feel, I just think it's a bit silly to say that everyone is impressed by the school they went to and no one would be nearly as impressed if they went to Queen's or wherever else.

I also think it's inaccurate to assume all non-law people have this perception that Osgoode/UBC/U of T/wherever else is a great school because I've heard pretty much the full variety of "School X is the best school in Canada!". I have never met a non-law person in Vancouver that even knows what Osgoode is, except for the few that think it's U of T's law school. And I'm pretty sure that if I went to Toronto, no one would be impressed by UBC, but a lot of people in Vancouver know how competitive UBC is and think it's impressive. The point is, it's all so subjective and doesn't matter.

I really don't think any schools in Canada garner admiration across the board among non-law people. Unless you got Harvard/Stanford/Cambridge, people are probably just reacting to the fact that you go to law school anyways.

Edited by Starling

This is all ignoring the more important question, which Diplock alluded to: why does it matter what non-law people think at all? In the context of making yourself feel good, sure that's your prerogative. But in a forum where our answers aren't only to the person asking, but future readers too, don't get all kerfuffled if we explain the reality of how unimportant it is what Sally at the bar thinks of osgoode vs queens.

• Like 2

Well, since we're giving advice to future forum readers here, not just Binnie, can I chime in? Don't tell Sally at the bar you're going to U of T Law. Don't even tell her you're going to law school at all. You'll come off as douchey and insufferable. 

Tell her you're going to med school outside Boston. You'll be far more successful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, providence said:

I still get asked for ID once in a while and I’ve been out of law school for almost a decade. I either take it as a compliment or people trying to flatter me.

Then I am receiving few compliments and little flattery recently. I choose to believe that it’s because I radiate emotional maturity, rather than physical maturity (fuck you, premature wrinkles). 

4 hours ago, healthlaw said:

Its weird to quote myself but anyway... 

I made this comment in defence of Binnie because she started off by saying that she didnt want to argue the merit of prestige and was simply being honest about why she applied to the schools she did. I can respect someone who stands by their opinion no matter how unpopular. .. its funny that I also predicted that comment would turn this thread into ... this. Now look at where we are :lol: So predictable ls.ca

3 hours ago, providence said:

I always assume that I'm giving off some kind of "undercover investigator" vibe and they don't want their licensed pulled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

I always assume that I'm giving off some kind of "undercover investigator" vibe and they don't want their licensed pulled.

Yeah, they probably have to randomly ask every 10 people or something and once in a while that’s me no matter how haggard I look!

11 hours ago, healthlaw said:

It's just that the prestige of a Canadian law school is low. That's, frankly, the part that gets to me. If you win a national math award, or get into astronaut training, or become a heart surgeon, or...there are lots of things that mark someone out as having earned prestige. Getting an A- in undergrad and an LSAT mark one standard deviation from the norm is not in that category. It just isn't. And the belief that it is drives 60% of what makes law students so insufferable. (The other 40% is a mix of having extremely strong opinions on what the law obviously should be 2.5 minutes after they/we learned it, and referring to justices by a short form of their first name.)

I went to high school with a kid who was shooting to be an actor. He wasn't very talented, but he had that sort of Taylor Lautner look and just enough skill to make the dream not ridiculous. Then he got a bit part on a superhero tv show and started acting like Vince from Entourage. It's not that getting a bit part on a tv show isn't cool or rare - it is rare and it's way cooler than my desk job. But if you strut around like you're a Hemsworth, you're gonna look like an ass.

There are some lawyers who are cocks of their respective walk. There are some Hemsworths that get to act like they're champions. The rest of us need to chill, and law students need to put in one hard year and two easy years before they even get to be chill about their status. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

A med student or investment banker is probably reading this and laughing their ass off, just saying. 

Yeah the latter belong in the your-britches-aren't-that-big camp, frankly. They make a lot of money. They have economic capital. That doesn't mean they earned social capital. 

• Like 2

I feel that Brian from Family Guy is the unofficial spirit animal of most law students, and of some lawyers too. 

(“I used to think John Lennon was kind of a jerk for saying The Beatles were bigger than Jesus, but now, I mean, I’m not saying that I am, but I get it.”)

Not a knock on anyone here, just a general comment, and yeah I have been That Person myself back before some one smacked some sense in to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Yeah the latter belong in the your-britches-aren't-that-big camp, frankly. They make a lot of money. They have economic capital. That doesn't mean they earned social capital. 

I don't have any data to back this up but I'd imagine that a lay person would probably imagine an investment banker would have a better life than a lawyer.

Edited by harveyspecter993

4 hours ago, Hegdis said:

I feel that Brian from Family Guy is the unofficial spirit animal of most law students, and of some lawyers too. 

(“I used to think John Lennon was kind of a jerk for saying The Beatles were bigger than Jesus, but now, I mean, I’m not saying that I am, but I get it.”)

Not a knock on anyone here, just a general comment, and yeah I have been That Person myself back before some one smacked some sense in to me. 

A big part of the chip on my shoulder is specific to corporate attorneys. We don't save lives and we don't maintain any great justice that would otherwise collapse. I think social capital is well earned if you use what you've got to make the world - or someone's world - a much better place, or if you have a remarkable skill, or if you took a great risk and succeeded, or if you demonstrate great originality and conviction, or bring something to life.

Corporate attorneys are paid in economic capital, and we do fine with that. But we know you can be a perfectly employed corporate lawyer without any great skill or intellect, any valiant fight for justice, etc. Some people are and do those things, and kudos. Brian, like me, is one standard jump away from the av-er-age bear, and that's just too low a bar to call it prestige. 

Getting into a Canadian law school requires an A- average and an okay LSAT. Graduating requires showing up on exam day, writing some law-related words on the paper and remembering to hand it in. Insofar as prestige is the marker of elite status, no law school in Canada only accepts elites. 

Or, maybe I'm just terrified that laurels are the place you rest when you've given up on growing. Elite should always be just out of reach for someone with ambition - that's almost entirely how I think of ambition: the constant understanding that actually being good is on the horizon. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

law students need to put in one hard year and two easy years before they even get to be chill about their status. 

Not to derail, but is this true? Does it actually get better after 1L? :( Dying over here.