Jump to content
CrimNation

LOR - Am I screwed?

Recommended Posts

I told my professor several times to submit the LOR and it seems like she either forgot or she's busy. I did all that I can and I cannot force her to send the letter. It is out of my control at this point.

Will McGill automatically reject me? 

The admissions officer on the phone said it's my responsibility to make sure everything is submitted. Everything is submitted except for that one letter. 

There has to be some lee-way. They can't automatically reject applicants just because of one petty delay.   

Supporting documents are due today at 11:59pm (3 hours left) and still nothing from my prof. 

Thank you for your comments/suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CrimNation,

I truly feel your pain. My referee agreed to complete a letter for me weeks prior to the deadline. She suddenly vanished and did not submit until just hours ago. My heart was racing.

I spoke with a very kind representative on the phone. She understood the difficulty of my position and mentioned that, while McGill must be strict about deadlines, she does not suspect that my application would automatically be cancelled tomorrow morning. If your referee can submit his/her letter by tomorrow I think you might be ok. Of course I could be wrong, but this is my best guess. 

Hang in there.... I know how awful this is.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, d123 said:

CrimNation,

I truly feel your pain. My referee agreed to complete a letter for me weeks prior to the deadline. She suddenly vanished and did not submit until just hours ago. My heart was racing.

I spoke with a very kind representative on the phone. She understood the difficulty of my position and mentioned that, while McGill must be strict about deadlines, she does not suspect that my application would automatically be cancelled tomorrow morning. If your referee can submit his/her letter by tomorrow I think you might be ok. Of course I could be wrong, but this is my best guess. 

Hang in there.... I know how awful this is.

 

 

Thank you my friend. Good news though: She finally submitted around 10pm ish but it still says "not received" - probably takes time to load up on McGill's end.

However, I know for a fact that my prof followed the instruction for McGill's guidelines for LORs, but I have a suspicion she did not put my last name and first name as the title of the LOR. Will that look bad on my application (that I am not fully following instructions)?

lol always one little issue after the other. That's what happens when things are pretty much last minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CrimNation said:

Thank you my friend. Good news though: She finally submitted around 10pm ish but it still says "not received" - probably takes time to load up on McGill's end.

However, I know for a fact that my prof followed the instruction for McGill's guidelines for LORs, but I have a suspicion she did not put my last name and first name as the title of the LOR. Will that look bad on my application (that I am not fully following instructions)?

lol always one little issue after the other. That's what happens when things are pretty much last minute.

Ah yes... another issue after the other is right. I have learned that I cannot stand relying on others (ha). If your reference is not showing as "received" by now I would call the BCL/LLB program directly -- 514-398-6602.  You might be advised to email admissions and explain your prof's likely error  -- [email protected]    I learned from experience that this email is very useful. They deal with any issues quickly.

GOOD LUCK!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, d123 said:

Ah yes... another issue after the other is right. I have learned that I cannot stand relying on others (ha). If your reference is not showing as "received" by now I would call the BCL/LLB program directly -- 514-398-6602.  You might be advised to email admissions and explain your prof's likely error  -- [email protected]    I learned from experience that this email is very useful. They deal with any issues quickly.

GOOD LUCK!

P.S - No, I highly doubt that this will make you appear disorganized/careless. One of my references sent me their letter after the fact and there were several typos. I cannot imagine being held accountable for something that was out of my hands. As long as your reference shows as being "received" I don't think you have anything to worry about. And now we wait. :unsure:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do y'all think it's more difficult to get admitted if you apply on the deadline, as they have rolling admissions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cheesypete said:

Do y'all think it's more difficult to get admitted if you apply on the deadline, as they have rolling admissions? 

Best as I can tell nothing material happens  before the deadline and after that date all completed applications receive similar consideration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cheesypete said:

Do y'all think it's more difficult to get admitted if you apply on the deadline, as they have rolling admissions? 

Is there a reason you've given yourself a trophy for every post you've made?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cheesypete said:

Do y'all think it's more difficult to get admitted if you apply on the deadline, as they have rolling admissions? 

No, according to a representative I spoke with on the phone the admissions committee will not begin reviewing application until after November 8th.

If I remember correctly the earliest offers were released in December of last year. I wonder if the deadline for all supporting documents was November 8th as well... I cannot imagine the committee managing to get through hundreds of applications in just a few short weeks. I suppose we will see.

sorry.. the above isn’t exactly related to your initial question. I’m just rambling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Is there a reason you've given yourself a trophy for every post you've made?

It's the only thing that does it for me these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-10 at 12:48 PM, d123 said:

No, according to a representative I spoke with on the phone the admissions committee will not begin reviewing application until after November 8th.

If I remember correctly the earliest offers were released in December of last year. I wonder if the deadline for all supporting documents was November 8th as well... I cannot imagine the committee managing to get through hundreds of applications in just a few short weeks. I suppose we will see.

sorry.. the above isn’t exactly related to your initial question. I’m just rambling

Can confirm that deadline was November 8th last year as well. First offers seemed to be at the very beginning of December.

I definitely don’t think the admissions committee gets through all applications prior to extending its first offer. I think they likely do some kind of preliminary sorting/triaging based on the “harder” factors and work their way through the pile(s) that way, making offers to qualified candidates as they go.

I don’t think submitting closer to the deadline makes any difference in when you receive an offer—it makes more sense that they triage them once they have received them all. I submitted very shortly before the deadline and so did at least one of my references; but my stats, softs, and language skills were good. I heard in early December.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cumulus said:

Can confirm that deadline was November 8th last year as well. First offers seemed to be at the very beginning of December.

I definitely don’t think the admissions committee gets through all applications prior to extending its first offer. I think they likely do some kind of preliminary sorting/triaging based on the “harder” factors and work their way through the pile(s) that way, making offers to qualified candidates as they go.

I don’t think submitting closer to the deadline makes any difference in when you receive an offer—it makes more sense that they triage them once they have received them all. I submitted very shortly before the deadline and so did at least one of my references; but my stats, softs, and language skills were good. I heard in early December.

December offers were rare my year. It went to those with the most competitive applications. I thought of December as the pre-offer with round 1 actually happening in February.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-12 at 6:33 PM, cumulus said:

Can confirm that deadline was November 8th last year as well. First offers seemed to be at the very beginning of December.

I definitely don’t think the admissions committee gets through all applications prior to extending its first offer. I think they likely do some kind of preliminary sorting/triaging based on the “harder” factors and work their way through the pile(s) that way, making offers to qualified candidates as they go.

I don’t think submitting closer to the deadline makes any difference in when you receive an offer—it makes more sense that they triage them once they have received them all. I submitted very shortly before the deadline and so did at least one of my references; but my stats, softs, and language skills were good. I heard in early December.

Thank-you for taking the time to reply. If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA when you received an offer? I wonder if an 87.4 % (cumulative) would be considered fairly competitive. I am not familiar with the 4.0/4.3 scales.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of my LORs were submitted late. I was not even aware that none of my recommenders had submitted them, someone from the admission office actually called me to let know that that was the case.  I had to chase both recommenders down and in the end, both sent them in about a week and a half late (Nov 18th). However, that didn't seem to compromise my chances as I was still admitted very early in the cycle. Hope my anecdote allays any anxiety or fears you may have :P. In all honesty, you'll be fine. 

Edited by youarefakenews
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 7:03 AM, youarefakenews said:

Both of my LORs were submitted late. I was not even aware that none of my recommenders had submitted them, someone from the admission office actually called me to let know that that was the case.  I had to chase both recommenders down and in the end, both sent them in about a week and a half late (Nov 18th). However, that didn't seem to compromise my chances as I was still admitted very early in the cycle. Hope my anecdote allays any anxiety or fears you may have :P. In all honesty, you'll be fine. 

Your avatar is re-traumatizing me..... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-16 at 7:28 PM, d123 said:

Thank-you for taking the time to reply. If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA when you received an offer? I wonder if an 87.4 % (cumulative) would be considered fairly competitive. I am not familiar with the 4.0/4.3 scales.

I think my average was around 91.5%, and my LSAT was 174.

Received my offer by email on December 3 IIRC.

Edited by cumulus
ETA offer date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×