Can anyone comment on their use of prephasing? 

I am improving my LR but still would like to up my speed. Given that the early questions are generally easier, if it’s a question type that permits prephasing, would it be a good idea to simply prephase an answer, scan for it and move on without looking at the other answer choices? I think this would save me time and protect me from wrong answer choices. The biggest thing would be to make sure I read the stim correctly (obviously), and only use POE if my initial answer wasn’t there.

From what I've learned through improvement and instruction is that pre-phrasing is important to LR at the very least to consciously restate or form the conclusion and the line of reasoning. Assumption and flawed reasoning questions are good examples that lend themselves easily to pre-phrasing and are types that I always attempt to pre-phrase before reading the choices.

I would never suggest (nor do I think most would) that you skip over any answer choices just looking for what you formed in your mind; this should just point you to the most plausible answer. If you skim the answers looking for what you worked out and don't find it then you have to go back and re-read all the answer choices again and have just wasted time that you never really have on the LSAT. By reading each answer choice, pre-phrasing at the bare minimum can be used to knock off choices that are way out in left field.

Just as an aside, I've struggled with consistency in LR and a lot of it has to do with timing. What I found helped me at least to get more consistent (20-22 correct/section) is just skipping over the question types I know I struggle with, marking them, and coming back when I have time at the end. That means, for me, I skip directly over any General Principle or Parallel Argument Questions without reading the passage and then coming back at the end to tackle as many as I can in the remaining time I have. If I'm still struggling then I narrow down to two choices, guess, and go on. Something I need to constantly remind myself as I struggle with time is that I need not waste time trying to hit a "perfect" score, but I do need to maximize my score. 

Edited by account681
wording

The issue with this is that it allows you to fall prey to the very carefully worded trap answers placed by LSAC. I used to do this when I was studying, because pre-phrasing and "knowing" what the right answer would be in LR was something I was pretty good at. However, the 25 seconds or less it takes to read over the other answers is worth it. 

The timing strategy I used that got me a 166 was:

- First 10 in 10 minutes, second 10 in 15 minutes, final 5/6 in the remaining time, using whatever is left to go back to questions I was unsure of. I always skipped the parallel reasoning/flaw question in the 20s until the end, as this can be a huge time waste. 

But yeah, you don't want to drop Q.2 because you skimmed the answer choices and got caught in the trap.

• Like 2

As a preface, I scored in the 90th percentile on the September 2017 LSAT, with a weak LG and medium RC, with strong LR.

Much like @LegalArmada I took a similar pacing method, but I do agree with everyone else. I found that what was most beneficial for me was to pre-phrase, but to only do so with vague ideas. This allowed me to retain what I believed to be the correct deduction, without falling prey to trap answers or getting too fixed on a certain wording.

Then once I have located what I think is the correct answer, I can quickly eliminate other answers because 1) they do not contain the idea, and 2) I can look at the wording (depending on question type) and see if it is appropriate or not; this adds a second layer of security or confidence without wasting too much time.

Overall though, +1 to what the others have been saying. Though you want to be extremely time-efficient, I'm sure you've been told and will be told again that to a reasonable extent, accuracy is of the utmost importance. Breezing through the first ten questions of LR is ideal, but if you only get 7/10 and risk a -3 right off the bat, then it's not worth it.