Just a friendly reminder to my fellow Schulich law applicants that the deadline to submit your JD application and be automatically considered for entrance scholarships is November 30th. If you would like to be considered for additional entrance scholarships (that pay much more) you must apply for those with an additional form; details can be found at this webpage: https://www.dal.ca/faculty/law/programs/jd-admissions/money-matters/scholarships.html

On the bottom right of that webpage is a link to download the application form pdf. You can use this to apply to for the following scholarships:

Schulich Scholarships

The Law Foundation of Nova Scotia Scholarships

The Arthur Allister MacBain Memorial Scholarship

The J. Gerald Godsoe Scholarship

The Al Meghji and Diane Belevsky Scholarship

The first page of the scholarship application form is needed to apply for any and all of these five scholarships, as is an additional reference letter that must be different from the two academic references you used for your JD application. This reference can be academic, or a character reference (e.g. community leader, supervisor, etc.). The admissions office told me that having this person fill out the pdf used for the JD application reference letters is acceptable. This reference should be emailed directly to [email protected] by the person supplying it. The scholarship application form, and all necessary supplementary forms, should be emailed by you to [email protected] You should have all of this in by November 30th. Admissions indicated that there may be a little bit of wiggle room on when the reference letter gets in but DON'T TAKE THAT RISK IF YOU CAN AVOID IT.

What supplementary forms, you say? Well it depends on the scholarship(s) you are applying for (indicate which you are applying for on the first page of the app form). More information on each can be found at the link I provided at the top, but the gist is this:

Law Foundation needs: Just the first page of the app form filled out and a reference.

Arthur Allister MacBain needs: This is directed to students active extracurricularly and/or in the community, and requires you to write a letter describing your activities (see more at link); you need to provide contact info for two people who can verify your activity. Also needs first app page and reference.

J. Gerald Godsoe needs: Provide a letter (I'm guessing similar in length to a personal statement?) describing your participation or interest in Canadian public policy issues. Also needs first app page and reference.

Al Meghji needs: You have to be the first person in your family to attend university (see more at link). If you aren't, you need not apply. Also needs first app page and reference.

Schulich needs: This is the unique one. You apply based on two of the three following factors: a) Financial need, b) Academic Excellence, or c) community involvement / public service. All three need the first app page and reference. If you choose financial need, fill out the second page of the scholarship application form as well (admissions told me to fill out this form as it applies to you right now). If you choose academic excellence, they should already have your transcripts so you are good. If you choose Community involvement / public service, you need to provide a letter describing those activities and the contact information of two people who can verify your participation (same instructions as letter for Arthur Allister MacBain). You do not need to indicate which two of the three factors you have selected, as admissions will be able to determine that based on what you have and haven't provided to them (unless you gave them all three... which is... just don't do that I guess). 

If you have any additional questions feel free to ask me and I'll let you know if I can help. You can also contact admissions directly at 902.494.3495, they are quite helpful.

We're all in this together. Keep your stick on the ice.

• Thanks 1