AFinch86

Chances: LSAT 161 and Cumulative Average of 84.3

First time poster here. I am interested in getting some feedback on my chances with an LSAT score of 161 and cumulative average of 84.3 in my undergrad. My cumulative is higher than my L2. I have strong connections to Saskatchewan. Thanks in advance.

I wrote a cold practice test with Princeton Review and got 146 back in the spring. Studying now and getting around 160. I have an average of 86. Do I have a good chance?

@sfitz  

If you actually score 160 you should be in.  Of course until you write your LSAT there's no certainty, and I'd caution you that your average may be a few points higher your actual test score.  

That being said even if you score 155-160 you should be able to get in if you have a strong Sask connection (current U of S/ U of R student or Sask resident).

If I have an 86% overall and a very strong sask connection (parents live here, I was born here, own a house here) then what do you think the lowest LSAT score is that I can get in with?

On 11/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, sfitz said:

If I have an 86% overall and a very strong sask connection (parents live here, I was born here, own a house here) then what do you think the lowest LSAT score is that I can get in with?

I'm not in the admissions office and so I wouldn't feel comfortable with speculating as to what score you would need. I can give you some unsolicited advice though, look at past acceptance scores and hopefully that will allow you to deduce a general ballpark where you need to be. Work hard at studying for the LSAT, get the best score that you possibly can, and  worst case scenario, you re-write the test if you don't score high enough/don't get accepted in the cycle you apply in. 

On 11/11/2017 at 2:29 PM, fryingpanman said:

I'm not entirely sure what a 86% is exactly ( I think it's a 4.0?). Judging from putting USask and 86% at 60 credits  into http://www.whatsmygpa.ca 

You shouldn't need more than a 158. But I'm not sure... is USask's GPA avg really just 3.2?

3 hours ago, sfitz said:

Yes I think my GPA is 4.0. Sounds good, I will continue to study!!

I am not sure how you could possible figure a 86% is a 4.0.  A GPA is still an average -- you take your GPA from every individual course and average it together.  Secondly even if GPA was not based on an average from every course a 4.0 GPA would still be a 90+ average.

The conversion chart is as follows: 

90+= 4.0

85-89= 3.9

80-84= 3.7

77-79=3.3

73-76= 3

Now lets assume your grades fell within a 20% range.  A following sample of n=10 with an average of 86% could be

96 93 92 88 87 86 84 81 78 76

((4.0 x 3)+(3.9 x 3)+ (3.7 x 2) + 3.3 + 3)/ 10= 3.74

On 11/11/2017 at 10:46 AM, pizzzacat said:

I'm not in the admissions office and so I wouldn't feel comfortable with speculating as to what score you would need. I can give you some unsolicited advice though, look at past acceptance scores and hopefully that will allow you to deduce a general ballpark where you need to be. Work hard at studying for the LSAT, get the best score that you possibly can, and  worst case scenario, you re-write the test if you don't score high enough/don't get accepted in the cycle you apply in. 

Thanks...I was nervous and ended up with a 155. Strong sask connection and 86% average. And a previous degree and certificate in special education...thoughts?

On 1/11/2018 at 8:56 AM, sfitz said:

Thanks...I was nervous and ended up with a 155. Strong sask connection and 86% average. And a previous degree and certificate in special education...thoughts?

First off, good job on tackling the LSAT. Also, its normal for your score to drop a couple points from your pt score on test day.  It's really hard to give a definitive answer about your chances of acceptance. Your GPA avg is great, your LSAT is ok, and a strong sask connection definitely helps. I think your chances also depend a lot on the strength of the pool of applicants in the cycle which you are applying, which is difficult to speculate on. In my opinion, if law school is what you really want then apply and see if you get in. Worst case scenario, you don't get accepted and you re-write the LSAT and re-apply next cycle.