Posted (edited)

Despite my mediocre grades, I received some interviews including Seven Sisters. I know that my chances of actually getting hired is low with the top firms because of my grades, so should I just focus on the firms that I think are realistic of me getting hired?

I'm not sure if putting all the energy into being a great candidate is worth it, when they would probably reject me in the end because of my grades. Or does getting an interview mean that they would hire me with my mediocre grades if my interviews are pretty good?

I know this is probably a question that is asked over and over again, but it feels different when "I'm" the one in the situation. Thanks

Edited by CarbolicSmoke

Posted (edited)

Still going through ocis myself, but the general feel I have gotten from this forum is that grades don't really matter once you are at the infirm stage. Putting in all the effort is worth it. 

Think about some of your classmates who didn't get any interviews, and what they would do to be in your spot, and now you are thinking maybe I shouldn't try very hard because I will fail? c'mon, you're better than that.

Edited by Coolname
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CarbolicSmoke said:

I'm not sure if putting all the energy into being a great candidate is worth it, when they would probably reject me in the end because of my grades.

I know you know that giving up before even trying something--let alone giving it your full attention and effort--because you assume failure is a terrible way to approach literally anything in life. Anything.

I'll refrain, then, from recommending that you put 100% into your interviews because that's the only acceptable way to go about getting opportunities most people do not get.

• Like 1

Once you've secured an OCI, the playing field is basically level. You should be able to explain any bad grades still though, but if the interviewers enjoy speaking to you considerably more than someone with a better average, then they will most likely choose you over them. You probably have a lot of other great things on your resume that would make you a valuable asset and the firm knows that.

• Like 1

I know a number of people that work at "top firms" with average grades. The firms obviously see something in you that they like. Why would you self-select out and not give it all you've got? I'm not trying to be harsh. I think we've all done this to ourselves at some point in our lives. But I promise you'll feel better walking away knowing you gave these interviews all you've got rather than wondering if you should have tried harder. 

As an aside, you should be putting all your energy into "being a great candidate" for every single one of your interviews. It's not impossible. You never know where the chips will fall so you'll want to leave your best impression on everyone you meet.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Coolname said:

Still going through ocis myself, but the general feel I have gotten from this forum is that grades don't really matter once you are at the infirm stage. Putting in all the effort is worth it. 

Think about some of your classmates who didn't get any interviews, and what they would do to be in your spot, and now you are thinking maybe I shouldn't try very hard because I will fail? c'mon, you're better than that.

100%. Grades still matter to a degree. But you better believe that personality and how you conduct yourself will go a lot further than which candidate has a slightly higher GPA. Once you're at the in-firm stage, remind yourself that you wouldn't be there if the firm genuinely didn't want to hire you. They met with dozens of students and narrowed it down to a handful... they wouldn't waste that spot on someone they couldn't imagine hiring. And the difference between who gets hired and who doesn't can be really small so give it your all!

Good luck!

• Like 1