LivePumpkin

U of T Vs. Osgoode for Public Sector

Hi, I know this topic has been repeated many times, but I am wondering if someone can provide me some help with my question. To keep a long story short: I have worked at a few ministries during the summers of my undergrad and I networked with many lawyers in the legal services branches. This led me to become interested in working as a lawyer in the public sector (particularly in one of the Ministries). Also, I do not intend to work on Bay Street. 

Based on this information, what are your thoughts when it comes to choosing between U of T Law and Osgoode Hall? Does one school give an advantage over the other? For now, I am leaning more towards Osgoode because of U of T's high tuition. 

Thank you so much! :) 

No advantage between the two for MAG. Tuition is a sound basis for your decision, and consider also where you think you'll have the most enjoyable/rewarding experience based on your academic, extracurricular, and lifestyle preferences.

• Thanks 1

It most areas, I don't think there's much difference in your options if you go to UofT or Osgoode.  There might be a few areas where one school offers specialized courses that the other doesn't - but otherwise, it's potato/potatoe.

I think the real considerations in choosing between Osgoode and UofT is the trade off between the extra cost of UofT vs. going to school at Castle Black. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, maximumbob said:

It most areas, I don't think there's much difference in your options if you go to UofT or Osgoode.  There might be a few areas where one school offers specialized courses that the other doesn't - but otherwise, it's potato/potatoe.

I think the real considerations in choosing between Osgoode and UofT is the trade off between the extra cost of UofT vs. going to school at Castle Black. 

That's not fair at all: Castle Black had beer, but North York doesn't. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much for helping everyone! I really appreciate it.

My second question is: Is it approximately equally competitive to get a job in a Ministry’s legal sector as it is to get a job in Big Law/Bay Street? 

49 minutes ago, LivePumpkin said:

My second question is: Is it approximately equally competitive to get a job in a Ministry’s legal sector as it is to get a job in Big Law/Bay Street? 

Both are very competitive processes, but probably very different. Hard to say whether or not they are equal (or not) in terms of competitiveness. In both cases, you will need good grades and to interview well (though the type of interviews, and type of candidates that each likes, will be very different.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LivePumpkin said:

It's hard to say.  Both are certainly competitive, but they tend to get different kinds of applicants.  I know back in law school I was gunning for Big Law, so my courses and extra-curriculars were focused in that direction.  I didn't even bother applying to an public service positions.

• Like 1

http://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/jd-program/clinics-intensives/

Osgoode has the most clinical intensive programs out of all law schools in Canada. This can be very beneficial to getting your foot into the public sector field. From what I see online, U of T does not appear to have as many but I'm sure you can still find good opportunities. 

However, maybe keep in mind that your interests may change in law school. Malicious Prosecutor started off on Bay Street, and is now a criminal prosecutor. Go into law school with an open mind. 

• Like 1

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/centres-programs

U of T has plenty of opportunities for students interested in clinics/programs/centres. Keep in mind that no one can do everything.

@LivePumpkin, what do you see yourself doing in the public sector?

Neither school provides an advantage, other than perhaps Osgoode being less expensive. What is the difference in tuition between the two these days? I haven't seen numbers for a while.

1 hour ago, erinl2 said:

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/centres-programs

U of T has plenty of opportunities for students interested in clinics/programs/centres. Keep in mind that no one can do everything.

@LivePumpkin, what do you see yourself doing in the public sector?

Neither school provides an advantage, other than perhaps Osgoode being less expensive. What is the difference in tuition between the two these days? I haven't seen numbers for a while.

Just under 10k

54 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Just under 10k

I can't personally attest to this but I have been told by classmates that the way the two schools calculate financial aid can be substantial enough that for some UofT may be roughly the same or cheaper. 

3 hours ago, HammurabiTime said:

I can't personally attest to this but I have been told by classmates that the way the two schools calculate financial aid can be substantial enough that for some UofT may be roughly the same or cheaper. 

@Uriel has a story somewhere around here about how U of T calculating his means left him in way more debt than predicted. I'd advise people to not let financial aid sway them too much.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

@Uriel has a story somewhere around here about how U of T calculating his means left him in way more debt than predicted. I'd advise people to not let financial aid sway them too much.

I don't know if they've changed the way they administer their financial aid in the number of years since Uriel graduated but UofT now offers a fairly extensive and transparent formula that they allegedly use to determine it. I'm unsure as to whether or not Osgoode does the same but if I recall UBC's acceptance info plus speaking with them offered me a reasonably comprehensive view of what my financial aid would be (but not my scholarship value). Particularly when discussing public sector work I think it's pretty terrible advice to not suggest people should try and look at the true cost of the options they're considering.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, I'm talking about this document and not the financial aid calculator which provided me with an estimate that was off by a few thousand dollars.

Edited by HammurabiTime